2020 Toyota Tacoma with 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I am curious about towing with a Tacoma.

I tow with a 2018 Tundra, 5.7L V8. Just did about 1200 miles this week with it.

My payload is not great at 1185 lbs. People told me this was not a good choice. I got the Crew Cab Limited Edition, short bed. A few did show support. I am so glad I bought this truck.

The Tundra so far gets an A+, and I am not an easy grader, plus I drive mountainous roads as a rule. Over the first 5,000 miles, the Tundra (we call her Tundra Moodra) owned the 5.0ta every mile. Even the ones when I was driving to fast. Simply love this tow vehicle. So comfortable, so much control.

I am not sure if the mass of the Taco would be enough to own the load of a 5.0. It might. And your payload should be higher than mine. Check (it's usually in the door)! It won't be lower!

We don't bring a lot of stuff, but we don't skimp either. As a rule I travel with full fresh water tanks, no gray or black water and don't add too many items to the trailer when in tow. I get a nice balance that way.

Tundra Moodra has my full confidence. For Sure! I would check with Escape as they probably have some experience (they told me a Tundra would be fine). I would also check with TradeMasters to see what they have experienced setting a Taco up. They know a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Moodra and Zen-original.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeym475 View Post
Hello All,
We are looking at using out 2020 Toyota Tacoma to tow an Escape 5.0TA Fifth Wheel? Any comments or suggestions? Or should we be looking at bumper pull Escape?
We had a 2018 Tacoma towed (Handled) the E21 just fine, the issues is with the 3.5L engine that does not develop useful Horsepower until it is Revving 3500 RPM or more, coupled with the 6 speed transmission, it constantly is down and up shifting even on level highways. We towed from Sumas, Wa. To Ohio. The issue is the engines maximum torque is at 4600 RPM and that’s where it likes to run when high output is required. At low RPM it has no power.
(278 hp @ 6000 rpm, 265 lb.-ft. @ 4600 rpm) The engine derates about 3% per 1000 feet of altitude. This is a loss of 30% of power at 10,000 feet of altitude. It is unpleasant on a long drive to have the engine running at high RPMs most of the time.
Shonak is offline   Reply With Quote