2021 F-150 Hybrid - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2020, 10:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The Hybrid looked like a good idea until you noted that it is only available with the Super Crew. My Super Cab is already too long for many parking spaces - I have no interest in adding another foot & a half. I do like the Pro Power option...
You are right! It is a real turn off. I am torn about the Hobson's choice one faces here. Still undecided - and that was the motivation for the message.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Went back & forth on HD Tow and finally decided to get it. Very glad I did and the mileage difference is almost nil between 3.73 & 3.31 rear end. Also it comes with Limited Slip differential which has already saved me once from getting stuck with my 4 X 2.
Thank you! We are planning to get the 4x4 version, so the limited slip differential is a lesser consideration. But, I tend to prefer a greater safety factor, and am still thinking about the heavy tow package.

PS: I had received the following feedback from Tideline77 earlier: "...F150 max tow comes with a lower gear ratio and also a heavier frame . The regular factory tow package comes with the standard frame and a slightly higher gear ratio. Both come with factory brake controller. I think the higher gear ratio will deliver a little better fuel economy, cost way less in purchase price."
Old 07-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
The Hybrid looked like a good idea until you noted that it is only available with the Super Crew. My Super Cab is already too long for many parking spaces - I have no interest in adding another foot & a half. I do like the Pro Power option...
My take is the Super Crew comes with either a 5.5 or 6.5 foot box. I believe the Hybrid with a 5.5 box will be the same length as your Super Cab with a 6.5' box. So you can get the same total length as you have now but a smaller box.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
My take is the Super Crew comes with either a 5.5 or 6.5 foot box. I believe the Hybrid with a 5.5 box will be the same length as your Super Cab with a 6.5' box. So you can get the same total length as you have now but a smaller box.
I think Vermilye was responding to my thought of SuperCrew (necessary for the hybrid engine and power on board) with 6.5' box.

Given the choice between SuperCrew with 6.5' box vs 5.5' box - which should one go for when looking to pull E5.0?
Old 07-21-2020, 11:30 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
FWIW, you do get used to the extra long truck after a bit, I hardly notice it after 8 years and 100k+ miles.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I think Vermilye was responding to my thought of SuperCrew (necessary for the hybrid engine and power on board) with 6.5' box.

Given the choice between SuperCrew with 6.5' box vs 5.5' box - which should one go for when looking to pull E5.0?
You will find many on here pulling the 5.0 with the F150 and the 5.5' box, me included.

The main advantage of the 6.5 box over the 5.5 box is the additional turning available before the 5.0 TA contacts the cab (dents or breaks rear window). Many here have the 5.5 box and have not had a problem, but a couple have done that or felt they have come close. I mounted my Andersen Ultimate rail mount further back and have plenty of turning clearance and by mounting further back I can hookup/unhook without needing to raise and lower my tailgate.

The tailgate situation remains the same with either the 5.5 or 6.5, but by mounting the hitch rearward approximately 4" gives you that much more room. It has been pretty well established that the 5.0 TA compared to other 5th wheels mounting rearward is not a problem. It has been done many times.

I'd be happy to discuss further with you if you'd like feel free to PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitched w tailgate down IMG_20200605_095625.jpg   Bed of truck with Andersen Ultimate IMG_20200604_165224.jpg   Bed of truck loaded IMG_20200604_170307.jpg  
Old 07-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #27

Quote:
You will find many on here pulling the 5.0 with the F150 and the 5.5' box, me included.

The main advantage of the 6.5 box over the 5.5 box is the additional turning available before the 5.0 TA contacts the cab (dents or breaks rear window). Many here have the 5.5 box and have not had a problem, but a couple have done that or felt they have come close. I mounted my Andersen Ultimate rail mount further back and have plenty of turning clearance and by mounting further back I can hookup/unhook without needing to raise and lower my tailgate.

The tailgate situation remains the same with either the 5.5 or 6.5, but by mounting the hitch rearward approximately 4" gives you that much more room. It has been pretty well established that the 5.0 TA compared to other 5th wheels mounting rearward is not a problem. It has been done many times.

I'd be happy to discuss further with you if you'd like feel free to PM me.
Thanks a lot for the offer, Ronn! I will PM you.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
True, but I make full use of the 6.5' box...
Old 07-21-2020, 12:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question

I realize this hybrid has lots of features other than just improved mileage that make it attractive, but focusing just on the mileage vs increased purchase price for the option ....

Anyone have a WAG on how many towing miles it'd take to achieve 'payback' against it's increased purchase price for one who uses their truck mainly for towing their Escape?

Or maybe there's not enough mileage and price info available yet to make that guestimate?

(similar to the often asked gas vs diesel 'payback question', though more in-play than just mileage in that equation, too)
Old 07-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #30

Quote:
True, but I make full use of the 6.5' box...
I may have missed something, but my post was just to make it clear to others that the same total length of the F150 Super Crew could be accomplished with the 5.5 foot bed.

I bought a used F150 and I would have considered either cab, but found much more selection in the Super Crew. Moving the hitch rearward a few inches takes away the turning angle concern, but as you point out not the extra foot of room in the box.

I am also interested in the 2021 Hybrid, getting the Super Crew with the 5.5 foot box would work for me. (interested in, but will I actually be willing to spend the money? that will be the question).
Old 07-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #31

From a few 'layout' diagrams I've seen, there's nothing inherent in the hybid drivetrain / equipment arrangement that requires a longer cab to let it 'fit'.

Lots bigger market demand for SCrew than supercabs these days .... maybe they'll expand the offering to supercabs in another year (or two) if the hybrid truck idea takes-off?

(I happen to be a fan of the supercab + 6.5 ft box combo myself for more than a few reasons, that's what my trusty '05 F150 XLT is)
Old 07-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
FWIW, you do get used to the extra long truck after a bit, I hardly notice it after 8 years and 100k+ miles.
The decision for me was getting an F150 that would fit into my garage. For me that was either a Super Cab (6.5 box) or the Super Crew with the 5.5 foot box.
I bought a used F150, the selection of Super Crews which met my needs (and wants) was much greater than the Super Cab.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For me, a 6.5' box is already a short one. 1.5' shorter than I have had in 30 years. As well, every truck in that time has been A Super Crew, as the space is great for other people, or dog, and/or gear storage.

Love the hybrid concept, but will be waiting a few years before I would get one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #34

While everyone can legitimately advocate for the cab-bed combination that best suits their individual needs / wants, it's hard to argue that lack-of-choice is anything other than a constraint on the market at large and will legitimately preclude purchase by some potential owners.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The standard bed length in SuperCrew configuration is 5.5’ but it is available in 6.5’ bed as well. I have been following the thread on 5.5’ bed being adequate and acceptable for pulling a E5.0 but wondering if it is a better and more advisable to go with 6.5’ bed in context of a new purchase...

If you use, or plan to use, a Clam enclosure, note that it will not ride in a 5.5' bed without turning it diagonally. You will need a little over 6' of bed length for it to ride like you want it to.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #36

My wife and I had a conversation with Ronn. It was very generous and helpful in understanding the situation. Thanks so much, Ronn!

Our situation is similar to Ronn in that the access to our condo garage (basement of multi-storied building) is tight and involves two narrow 90 degree turns. I know the regular sized F150 gets there (as someone already has one) but it must be tight. So, it'd help to have the shorter 5.5' box with supercrew.

I know that payback on the more expensive hybrid (and diesel) engines isn't always worth it. We will do the trade-off when the pricing becomes clearer and make up our mind. We are a buy-and-hold type and not wheeler-dealer type in most things including vehicles [sold a 18-year old car to get into our current one]. So, we will end up buying what feels comfortable and fits the budget - and hopefully be fortunate to enjoy it for some time.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubarx View Post
If you use, or plan to use, a Clam enclosure, note that it will not ride in a 5.5' bed without turning it diagonally. You will need a little over 6' of bed length for it to ride like you want it to.
Mine isn't a clam, but a Gazelle. We ordered the 5 sided, easily fits our 5.5 box.
Attached Thumbnails
Emmett Bed loaded for trip IMG_20200604_170307.jpg  
Old 07-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #38

Quote:
Mine isn't a clam, but a Gazelle. We ordered the 5 sided, easily fits our 5.5 box.
Thank you! I got it!
Old 07-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
According to Car and Driver magazine.

The 2021 Ford F-150 is slated to arrive this fall along with the PowerBoost hybrid model, and the electric F-150 will be available within the next two years. There are six trim levels: XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited. Pricing is expected to start at around $30,000 for the XL model and reach upward of $70,000 for the Limited model.
I was talking with a Ford salesman the other day and he was telling me about the electric F-150. I asked him about driving range. He said about 250 miles between charges. Reduce that to about half if towing. Told him that if they could get it up to 500 miles towing, I might be somewhat interested, but only if charging stations become as available as fuel stations. ☝🚗
Old 11-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #40

There are a couple of tow vehicle threads active but my question / comment relates to 2021 F150. These trucks are yet in the dealer lots. We will be collecting more information and test driving before buying / placing order in December / January as we only absolutely require it for our 5.0 in May end. I share my thoughts and confusions below in case someone else is also trying to buy this model

We could get a much better price on a 2020 model. However, the reason we plan to go for the 2021 model is the new PowerBoost (PB) hybrid engine, which allows one to add a 7.5kW generator as an option. With that set up - there are mainly two areas that we need more research and feedback.
  • PB Hybrid compatibility with 5th wheel hitch rails/gooseneck: For towing our 5.0, we need a 5th wheel hitch (Anderson Ultimate). From my limited understanding, both rail and gooseneck mounts require installation of underbody brackets. Whether these underbody brackets are compatible / possible with the PB engine setup is not crystal clear. While it is likely that I am inventing a concern here, this engine features additional components that go up to the real axle and areas possibly overlapping these brackets. It is also noteworthy that while the 2020 and earlier F150 material from Ford provides includes discussion of 5th wheel towing, the 2021 material released so far does not address it, and it has been hard to get a definitive answer on this point.
  • The payload: Turns out that while the PB is more powerful, it is also heavier due to the additional batteries. So, its payload numbers are on less than some of the other engines. And, our desire is for a higher end trim (Limited) and options (some non-negotiable like FX4 and others nice to have like retractable cover) - which will further reduce the payload.

Since the trucks are not in the dealer lots yet and we have not been able to see it yet, I do not have the payload and other numbers. More importantly, I am unclear on what is an acceptable payload number. Trying to work that out -
    • Escape 5.0 tongue weight - 700 lbs
    • Vehicle occupants (2) - 275 lbs
    • Luggage weight in the truck - 200 lbs (we aren't pack rats and don't expect to travel with the kitchen sink )
    So, I estimate that 1200 lbs is the minimum payload we need. Does that seem about right?

I am unclear how to think about it. The occupants are, obviously, sitting in the front/middle of the truck. So, their weight is spread between front and rear axle whereas the weight of the camper tongue is directly on the rear axle. So, does one look at the the front and rear axle ratings and estimate the weights on them? At the same time, everyone seems at the (unified) payload number. So, a bit confused about the right way to think about it.
Would love some advice / feedback.