2022 Frontier as TV Thoughts? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2021, 06:07 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Nissan Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I plan on purchasing a new truck sometime before my E19 is completed (gives me lots of time to shop!) and it will definitely be a mid-size.
I've been leaning towards a Colorado but the new Frontier has also caught my eye.
Engine specs are comparable, the Colorado wins in payload and towing capacity. I'd be going for a King Cab.
310 HP, 281 ft/lbs torque at 4400 RPM, 1430 lbs payload and 6450 towing capacity.
Seeing a 2022 Frontier on the road here is pretty rare. The local dealer received 2 that had been presold and they don't know when they'll get more.
Anyone have any experience with this vehicle?
We towed a 17 foot Casita and our Escape 21 with a 2018 Frontier with no problems at all. I think that the Frontier is a great truck. When we went full-time in our 21 we sold the Frontier and bought a Ram 1500. The only reason we moved to the Ram was for the storage capacity in the back seat and the bed. For full-time we just had too much "stuff" and needed the larger truck.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:26 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
We towed a 17 foot Casita and our Escape 21 with a 2018 Frontier with no problems at all. I think that the Frontier is a great truck. When we went full-time in our 21 we sold the Frontier and bought a Ram 1500. The only reason we moved to the Ram was for the storage capacity in the back seat and the bed. For full-time we just had too much "stuff" and needed the larger truck.
I have mentioned this before on other threads re: Ram 1500, check your spare tire. Mine was a temporary ( meaning inadequate for towing) so I purchased a full sized wheel for my spare to carry in the bed. Other than that issue, it is a great towing vehicle.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Sparse tire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have mentioned this before on other threads re: Ram 1500, check your spare tire. Mine was a temporary ( meaning inadequate for towing) so I purchased a full sized wheel for my spare to carry in the bed. Other than that issue, it is a great towing vehicle.
Hi: cpaharley2008... I've mentioned before that mine came with a same sized tire as the rest, but on a 20" steel wheel. In 116,000 kms it's never been taken down from under the bed... but I do look it up occasionally. The Fronty I owned came with a full sized spare tire on an aluminium road wheel but things have changed.
I worry more about the spare tire growing around my waist!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040819.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Ours came with a full-sized spare. I really dislike the donuts that so many vehicles come with these days.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My Ranger has a “full size,” but smaller than what’s on the truck.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
My Ranger has a “full size,” but smaller than what’s on the truck.
At least one pickup manufacturer calls that something like an "alternate" size: it is not a compact or temporary-use tire, but it is different from the normal tires for the truck. It should have nearly the same rolling radius as the other tires, and enough load capacity to meet the gross axle weight rating requirements. This can be done by the manufacturer to save cost, to save weight, or to fit into the spare location where the regular tires can't (probably due to width rather than diameter).

An alternate-size but not temporary tire should not limit towing. Whether it does or not, it may be possible to carry a spare tire identical to the regular tires in the same carrier, depending on the truck and the choice of regular tires. Neither the Ranger nor 2022 Frontier owner's manual mentions any restriction about the size of tire which fits in the carrier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #27

It is almost the same size and can carry the full load. It says 50mph only on it though. Some have picked up an additional wheel, and the reports are it does fit the hoist carrier. I haven’t yet tried.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
It is almost the same size and can carry the full load. It says 50mph only on it though.
Given the speed rating, that's likely a temporary-use tire - it probably says "temporary" in big letters on the sidewall and might have a type/size specification starting with "T" instead of "P" or "LT"; it could be a normal tire but in the very low speed rating would correspond to the symbol "F", which is way off the low-speed end of most published charts... although the speed limitation could be imposed by Ford due to the size mismatch, rather than any limitation of the tire. It can only carry that full load (when used on this truck) at that low speed, and perhaps only for a limited distance (often given as 50 miles or 80 kilometres).

Rangers apparently come with various spares. An example is a 255/70R16 spare on a truck with 265/60R18 regular tires... which is almost the same overall size, but far from matched in handling characteristics. Other Rangers come with the same size of regular tires and spare - both 265/65R17 - but the spare is on a steel wheel instead of an alloy (not a problem at all).

Now the questions are: what comes in a Frontier, and if it's not the regular size can the regular size fit in the carrier? This may have changed for 2022, since it's a substantial update to the model.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #29

It’s not a temp. I, like you, guess the speed rating, an add on sticker by Ford, is due to the size mismatch.

No idea what’s on a new Frontier.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #30

Quick Google search, so this would have to be verified:

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/snow...ro-4x-not-miss

‘22 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X - Full Size, Matching Spare Tire
Up under the Frontier is a full-size matching spare tire. This is rare in today's automotive landscape.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:09 AM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Thoughts on buying a midsize.

I have towed with a couple minivans, a Tacoma, a 4Runner and now a Tundra. One thing I mention is what is your destination. Around the east coast and the Great Lakes, you'll be fine with a Frontier, but you maybe looking for more power at higher elevations. When we had the 4Runner and Escape 17B, climbing west of Denver was a major major surprise for me. I had never towed out west. I70 was very busy, to keep up with the traffic or at least 55MPH, I had it to the floor for a bit in third as we climbed to 11,000 at the Eisenhower Tunnel.

For every 1000' of elevation you lose 3% HP, my 4Runner had 278HP at sea level but only 180HP at 11,000'. If you can, buy a vehicle with a turbo, they make more power at lower RPM's and deal a lot better at higher elevations.

We now have a 2020 19. The brochure says 3150lbs but I weighed at 3900lbs partially loaded (full propane, battery, trailer accessories, pots and pans, some linens, bike rack and 2 bikes). The trailer was a slim build, only AC and some small add ons, no solar or anything heavy. Just keep in mind you'll be closer to the 6500lbs limit than you think.

TFL on Youtube (The Fast Lane Truck) has the best comparisons.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:14 AM   #32

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Thoughts on buying a midsize.

I have towed with a couple minivans, a Tacoma, a 4Runner and now a Tundra. One thing I mention is what is your destination. Around the east coast and the Great Lakes, you'll be fine with a Frontier, but you maybe looking for more power at higher elevations. When we had the 4Runner and Escape 17B, climbing west of Denver was a major major surprise for me. I had never towed out west. I70 was very busy, to keep up with the traffic or at least 55MPH, I had it to the floor for a bit in third as we climbed to 11,000 at the Eisenhower Tunnel.

For every 1000' of elevation you lose 3% HP, my 4Runner had 278HP at sea level but only 180HP at 11,000'. If you can, buy a vehicle with a turbo, they make more power at lower RPM's and deal a lot better at higher elevations.

We now have a 2020 19. The brochure says 3150lbs but I weighed at 3900lbs partially loaded (full propane, battery, trailer accessories, pots and pans, some linens, bike rack and 2 bikes). The trailer was a slim build, only AC and some small add ons, no solar or anything heavy. Just keep in mind you'll be closer to the 6500lbs limit than you think.

TFL on Youtube (The Fast Lane Truck) has the best comparisons.

This is good, practical advice, thanks Doug.
I suspect 99% of our towing will be in the Maritime Provinces so other than doing the Cabot Trail (nothing in comparison to your example) we'll be in relatively flat terrain.
When we owned our motorhome we made a few trips south and took a route through the mountains of Pennsylvania which could be a totally different story if we decided to do that again while towing a trailer.
Our build will be slim as well. We'll add AC but no solar or any of that stuff.
Do you have any idea what your typical tongue weight would be?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:23 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Pennsylvania's western hills are nothing compared to the Rockies.....
Old 11-13-2021, 07:27 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Do you have any idea what your typical tongue weight would be?
My 2021 E-19 weighed 3347 as built by ETI. I've added a drawer, solar, an accumulator, and AC as permanent modifications. I also moved my LiFePO4 batteries (2) from the front bin back to inside the DS dinette.

So my 'revised' empty weight is 3477 lbs. Loaded I have another ~ 200 lbs of equipment that lives in the trailer. So 3677 lbs loaded with equipment.

My measured tongue weights with all this in the trailer and full propane tanks:
Full water tank: 490 lbs.
Empty water tank: 520 lbs.

I bought a bathroom scale from Amazon for $45 that is for morbidly obese people and can weigh up to 550 lbs. That's a lot cheaper than a dedicated tongue scale and worked just great for me. It might not work for a tongue-heavy E-21 though.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:29 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yeah, always interesting when people talk about 'terrain.' I've posted this before
Attached Thumbnails
3DMap-Elevations-USA.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
For sure! Hills look different in a 37' gas powered motorhome towing a Honda Civic though!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #37

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, always interesting when people talk about 'terrain.' I've posted this before
That 90 degree climb from the southern border into central NM look like a transmission killer...
Old 11-13-2021, 10:22 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
While I agree that the long haul grades in the west are far more challenging than those in the east, the steepest state highway I've hauled my trailer up was the road between Red Rock & Rickets Glen State Park in PA. PA 487, 18%, 2 mile grade.
Attached Thumbnails
ASG_7318.jpg  
Old 11-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
John, would you share what trim Ranger you have? 4wd or 2wd, FX2 or FX4? I ask because from what I have read about the Ranger, the ride varies among all these options, but reviewers’ opinions seem to vary as to whether they like 4wd or 2wd, FX2 or FX4 ride best.
I have the 2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 super crew cab model. We do off road camping in the Sierra mountains and deserts is the reason I went with the 4wheel drive, but did not notice that much difference in the ride over 2 wheel drive. The truck is built Ford tough though! I have also noticed how many older Rangers are still on the road like the old Tacoma's, since I purchased the truck.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
No percentages given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While I agree that the long haul grades in the west are far more challenging than those in the east, the steepest state highway I've hauled my trailer up was the road between Red Rock & Rickets Glen State Park in PA. PA 487, 18%, 2 mile grade.
Hi: Vermilye... Have you done this one in Warsaw NY? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1000780.jpg   P1000753.jpg   P1000756.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote