2022 Frontier as TV Thoughts? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 E19
2022 Frontier as TV Thoughts?

I plan on purchasing a new truck sometime before my E19 is completed (gives me lots of time to shop!) and it will definitely be a mid-size.
I've been leaning towards a Colorado but the new Frontier has also caught my eye.
Engine specs are comparable, the Colorado wins in payload and towing capacity. I'd be going for a King Cab.
310 HP, 281 ft/lbs torque at 4400 RPM, 1430 lbs payload and 6450 towing capacity.
Seeing a 2022 Frontier on the road here is pretty rare. The local dealer received 2 that had been presold and they don't know when they'll get more.
Anyone have any experience with this vehicle?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I have had two Frontiers and I love them. My first one had 170 K on it when a female ran a red light and took the front end off it.

My 2nd is a 2012 with V6. And it is a work horse. It pulls my 15b like its not even there. Mountain passes 5-6 K I go up 60mph pulling no problem. I have a friend who is the number one Nissan tech on the west coast. He says if you change the oil and filter regular I will get 300K+ out of it.
We liked the Frontier so well that we bought my wife a Rouge.
My Frontier has 116k on it now with no problems except a fuse on the battery.
Four door ,short box.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
no experience with the Frontier, but do have experience with our 2018 GMC Canyon Gas. It is a great tow vehicle and very pleasant to drive when not towing. Payload is usually the killer for tow vehicles so I would pay attention to that number.

Having said that I really like the Frontier. Almost bought the previous generation. The new Frontier I think looks fantastic. If I were to buy again I would seriously consider the Frontier. Just do the math on the payload. When calculating payload don't forget the weight of the hitch as well. Before long all those numbers add up
Sean Murry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #4

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
EBE2B71F-CE36-4DCC-9B87-6D21C5A2A983.jpg  
Old 11-11-2021, 06:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
Here it is
Nice! The colour I would choose as well!
How do you like it?
Old 11-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #6

Also, I see that the Frontier comes standard with trailer sway control.
How does that work?
Old 11-11-2021, 07:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
How does that work?

It seems that the truck detects sway (probably detects lateral force inputs from the hitch using the stability control sensors) and appies some current to the trailer brakes to pull the trailer straight.

It an automated equivalent to a driver grabbing the brake controller and hitting the 'manual' button to turn on the trailer brakes in an incident of sway.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Size really does matter!!!

Quote:
I plan on purchasing a new truck sometime before my E19 is completed (gives me lots of time to shop!) and it will definitely be a mid-size.
I've been leaning towards a Colorado but the new Frontier has also caught my eye.
Engine specs are comparable, the Colorado wins in payload and towing capacity. I'd be going for a King Cab.
310 HP, 281 ft/lbs torque at 4400 RPM, 1430 lbs payload and 6450 towing capacity.
Seeing a 2022 Frontier on the road here is pretty rare. The local dealer received 2 that had been presold and they don't know when they'll get more.
Hi: Fender... Here's a pic of our 2010 Fronty at work. We put almost 175000 Km's on it and didn't even change the plugs or tranny fluid. Everyone told me I couldn't pull that trailer with that truck!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Fender... Here's a pic of our 2010 Fronty at work. We put almost 175000 Km's on it and didn't even change the plugs or tranny fluid. Everyone told me I couldn't pull that trailer with that truck!!! Alf
Looking good!

I see that the specs for 4X4, Extended Cab, V6 Colorado indicate an "As spec'd Payload" of 1,604 lbs however they also show "Maximum Payload Capacity" as 1,999 lbs.
I wonder what the difference is?
Old 11-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Not an expert but I am guessing the spec'd payload is with the various options you have selected versus the maximum payload is what the payload would be with zero options.
Sean Murry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Looking good!

I see that the specs for 4X4, Extended Cab, V6 Colorado indicate an "As spec'd Payload" of 1,604 lbs however they also show "Maximum Payload Capacity" as 1,999 lbs.
Hi: Fender... Our Fronty had a payload cap. of 1100#'s due to its "Bells an whistles". Our current Ram EcoDiesel only has a cargo cap. of 892#'s., w/ lots more "Bells and whistles". Hardly a half ton Eh? Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1050309 (2).jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
It seems that the truck detects sway (probably detects lateral force inputs from the hitch using the stability control sensors) and appies some current to the trailer brakes to pull the trailer straight.

It an automated equivalent to a driver grabbing the brake controller and hitting the 'manual' button to turn on the trailer brakes in an incident of sway.
Is that from a description by Nissan or someone who has examined the actual behaviour? I think trailer sway control usually means a mode of the tow vehicle's stability control system which detects trailer sway and uses individual application of the tow vehicle's brakes to control sway, just as it controls the vehicle's stability in general.

Most online references to Nissan's trailer sway control only vaguely mention applying brakes, but not which brakes.
I did find one reference to applying the trailer brakes, but since it is from a dealer (not Nissan) my confidence in its accuracy is very low.
In contrast, a TitanXDforum discussion included a quote (albeit not supported by a link) of the (owners) manual, saying
Quote:
Trailer Sway Assist:

To minimize trailer sway, your vehicle may apply
braking to individual wheels based on input from
your vehicle sensors and vehicle speed. Trailer
sway control is a function of the Vehicle Dynamic
Control (VDC) system and is active when the
VDC function is enabled.
This behaviour is confirmed in the same discussion by screen-grab images from Nissan's online technical information, which says (with an illustration):
Quote:
  1. Trailer Sway Assist is a function of the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system and is active when the VDC is turned ON.
  2. When trailer sway (oscillation) is detected, based on input signals to the ABS actuator and electric control unit, trailer stability is improved by brake force control on all four wheels and engine output control of the towing vehicle.
  3. When Trailer Sway Assist operates, the VDC warning light blinks. When vehicle control is regained, the VDC warning light will turn OFF.
  4. Sounds may be heard or slight vibrations may be felt through the brake pedal and operation noises may occur (similar to ABS functioning) when Trailer Sway Assist functions. This is normal.
There is no reason for the approach to trailer sway control to vary between Nissan models, so it would be surprising if there were any difference between the Frontier and other models such as the Titan and Armada.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Not an expert but I am guessing the spec'd payload is with the various options you have selected versus the maximum payload is what the payload would be with zero options.
In this example, it is the difference between the actual payload of that specific truck in its specific trim level with the selected options, versus the maximum payload for a different configuration (base 4X2) with zero options.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Nice! The colour I would choose as well!
How do you like it?
I love the truck. I would shop for a truck in February. And look at last years models. I was shopping for a used one when I bought it but stumbled across it on a lot the last new 2012 they had. Got a good deal on it.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:29 PM   #15

Quote:
How does that work?
Only used it a couple times, but worked both times.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In this example, it is the difference between the actual payload of that specific truck in its specific trim level with the selected options, versus the maximum payload for a different configuration (base 4X2) with zero options.
That makes sense. My default thinking is always that when comparing a 4x4 to 4x2 I'm inclined to think the 4x4 is a more rugged truck with higher payload and towing capacities.
Clearly that's not the case!
Old 11-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Frontier and e19

Quote:

I have towed a 2021 e19 with a 2019 frontier pro4x about a dozen times this summer and haven’t any issues. But be mindful of the lower payloads on these mid sized trucks. With all the options mine is only about 1000pds. Also, the smaller fuel tank may be limiting for some people. I only get about 280miles from my 21gal tank; not a big deal for us but might be depending upon your use. Overall, I think the old version of the Nissan Frontier is very capable towing the e19 and that the new version with a better tranny would be more than fine. Note that I use aN e2 wdh and it makes the towing a breeze…the old frontiers don’t have the built- sway. Btw. You would save another 75 lbs payload without the wdh….have fun!!
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
I'm sure a Frontier will tow a 19 with no problem. I towed our2017 19 with a Tacoma and it did it with no problem. I have since upgraded to a Ford Ranger with eco boost and it has a smoother ride and the torque is amazing with these new trucks.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfjb View Post
I'm sure a Frontier will tow a 19 with no problem. I towed our2017 19 with a Tacoma and it did it with no problem. I have since upgraded to a Ford Ranger with eco boost and it has a smoother ride and the torque is amazing with these new trucks.
John, would you share what trim Ranger you have? 4wd or 2wd, FX2 or FX4? I ask because from what I have read about the Ranger, the ride varies among all these options, but reviewers’ opinions seem to vary as to whether they like 4wd or 2wd, FX2 or FX4 ride best.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:46 PM   #20

Quote:
That makes sense. My default thinking is always that when comparing a 4x4 to 4x2 I'm inclined to think the 4x4 is a more rugged truck with higher payload and towing capacities.
Clearly that's not the case!
It's almost the opposite. In some models (such as the Colorado) the GVWR is increased just enough from 4X2 to 4X4 to make up for the extra weight of the 4WD equipment, leaving similar payload and more stressed frame and powertrain. In others (such as the Ranger) GVWR doesn't change so the 4X4 has less payload than the 4X2. In both cases most components of the truck (including the engine, transmission, and rear axle) are identical between 4X2 and 4X4 versions.