2022 Tacoma or wait for the next generation Tacoma in 2023 or 2024 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2022, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 19' (and used to have a 17b)
2022 Tacoma or wait for the next generation Tacoma in 2023 or 2024

Time for a new Tacoma. Buy a 2022 with the 3.5l and 6 speed auto transmission…..or wait until 2023 or 2024 for a new generation rumoured to have a 2.4l turbo (same as Lexus NX350) and a 10 speed auto?

My 2012 Tacoma (4.0l v6, auto, 4 wheel drive) has served well pulling my Escape 19. Steep mountain passes and roads where I live in British Columbia. However, at 10 years old, I’m thinking new truck.

I’d appreciate everyone’s opinion. Buy the 2022 or wait until 2023 or 2024 for the new model (and it would be helpful to know what year the new Tacoma will appear if anyone has insight).
prairieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #2

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Toyota does make a solid V6. Interesting question.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I think you won't go wrong either way... Toyota products are dependable, capable and suitable for anything ETI makes
OOPs, I thought you were talking about the Tundra...
Old 02-11-2022, 04:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieboy View Post
Time for a new Tacoma. Buy a 2022 with the 3.5l and 6 speed auto transmission…..or wait until 2023 or 2024 for a new generation rumoured to have a 2.4l turbo (same as Lexus NX350) and a 10 speed auto?

My 2012 Tacoma (4.0l v6, auto, 4 wheel drive) has served well pulling my Escape 19. Steep mountain passes and roads where I live in British Columbia. However, at 10 years old, I’m thinking new truck.

I’d appreciate everyone’s opinion. Buy the 2022 or wait until 2023 or 2024 for the new model (and it would be helpful to know what year the new Tacoma will appear if anyone has insight).
I have a the same tacoma (2013) and I believe that’s a bit much for a Tacoma to pull.
I also have a 2021 Tundra, night and day from the Tacoma. I like the 2022 Tundra updates, but the first year of a new generation seems to always have a few bugs to work out, so I would go for the 2023.

On your Tacoma you may be part of a total frame replacement recall, rusting issues. My 2013 is, so just before it expires in 2025 I’ll be bringing it in to have it looked at. Find out when your deadline is and wait until its just about to expire, this gives it more time for damage to show. Know this, if you were to bring it in now and they do an inspection on your frame and find there not to be a problem any future claim would be nullified-you get one shot, so it’s best to put it off.

When my frame gets replaced I plan on having them update a number of parts while in the shop…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
On your Tacoma you may be part of a total frame replacement recall, rusting issues. My 2013 is, so just before it expires in 2025 I’ll be bringing it in to have it looked at. Find out when your deadline is and wait until its just about to expire, this gives it more time for damage to show. Know this, if you were to bring it in now and they do an inspection on your frame and find there not to be a problem any future claim would be nullified-you get one shot, so it’s best to put it off.

When my frame gets replaced I plan on having them update a number of parts while in the shop…
I have a 2004 Tundra that has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I always thought that I would replace it with a Tacoma however after a couple of test drives I disliked the Tacoma so much that I've looked at other brands, or like you I may wait for the next generation.
My issue was the interior and seating. I read a review somewhere that likened sitting in a Tacoma to driving a go-kart and that is exactly how it felt to me. I'm not a tall person yet the windshield seemed like it is only 6" high and that I was pretty much sitting on the floor.
I'm a huge Toyota truck fan and hope that they will do something with the interior the next time around.
As for frame issues I was told 2 or 3 years ago that the frame replacement campaign has expired. I had my Tundra undercoated every year since new and never had a problem. Then a hole in the frame was discovered during an MVI. The dealer submitted the paperwork for replacement and it was rejected by Toyota. They said the campaign had ended about 3 months before my issue. Even the dealer didn't know.
Maybe it is different in the US and maybe it's different for a Tacoma but I've been told that ship has sailed!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 05:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I have a 2004 Tundra that has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I always thought that I would replace it with a Tacoma however after a couple of test drives I disliked the Tacoma so much that I've looked at other brands, or like you I may wait for the next generation.
My issue was the interior and seating. I read a review somewhere that likened sitting in a Tacoma to driving a go-kart and that is exactly how it felt to me. I'm not a tall person yet the windshield seemed like it is only 6" high and that I was pretty much sitting on the floor.
I'm a huge Toyota truck fan and hope that they will do something with the interior the next time around.
As for frame issues I was told 2 or 3 years ago that the frame replacement campaign has expired. I had my Tundra undercoated every year since new and never had a problem. Then a hole in the frame was discovered during an MVI. The dealer submitted the paperwork for replacement and it was rejected by Toyota. They said the campaign had ended about 3 months before my issue. Even the dealer didn't know.
Maybe it is different in the US and maybe it's different for a Tacoma but I've been told that ship has sailed!
All is good here on the frame timing, it’ll be in the recall notification for whomever it applies.

This is my second Tundra, it is much improved over my first one, but it is a 14 year difference.

Myself, except for road trips and heavy towing or loads I prefer the Tacoma. It’s so much easier to get around town in and much better in parking lots. The lower ground to tailgate for me, makes life much easier.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
This subject has been discussed before and although we tow our 2016 Escape 19 with a 2017 TRD Tacoma Sport I think if I were to do it over again I would probably chosen the Tundra. I love the Tacoma and if you work the gears right on mountain passes it will take you where you want to go it’s power is marginal. I think the early Tacoma 4.0 V-6 is probably better at towing. I also like to bring a lot of stuff so we tow W/O water and are still probably pushing the weight limit. My 2 cents worth
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Scotty says, never buy the first year of a new production vehicle. He pointed out the 22 Tundra is already having Turbo issues. I learned my lesson with a first production year Saturn Vue.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:53 PM   #9

Our 2005 Tacoma with a 6 speed manual 4 liter V6 has done a great job over the years towing our 19'. It just turned over 317,000 kms and still keeps going. Toyota put a new frame under it 3 years ago (warranty issue) and I replaced the shocks so I'll keep running it. Toyota makes excellent vehicles but I think I would step up to a Tundra when I replace this truck. We live in Squamish, BC and this truck has taken us up and down numerous hills without missing a beat.
Mountain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 19' Escape
In the same boat though I have a 4Runner. Great vehicle but towing over high mountain passes is no bueno. I've read the Tacoma will be redesigned for 2024 with a new turbo engine? I'd definitely not buy first year so realistically I'm probably looking at 2025-26 to even consider a Tacoma. In the meantime I'm thinking of trading in my 4Runner for a used Tundra with the 5.7L engine. Perhaps after driving that for a few years considering a Tacoma may be moot.
efdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2023 E19
My daily-driver is 2014 6-speed manual Tacoma that I've owned since new. It is well-maintained and presently has about 140000kms (mostly highway driving). The frame was treated by Toyota last year, and is warrantied against corrosion until Nov 2025. It has been the most reliable / problem-free vehicle I've ever owned. If all goes to plan, I will take delivery of my E19 in just over a year's time. I hope to keep the Tacoma as a tow vehicle for the first years of ownership....until the truck reaches about 15years old / 300000kms. I'll then likely upgrade to Tundra at that point.

I've never driven the current generation Tacoma, but have received mixed reviews from other owners that I know. The 2nd generation seems to be better regarded for towing, due to the lower torque curve of the older 4.0 V6 (though I guess that debatable). I really like the size of the Tacoma and have a strong preference for manual-transmission vehicles. I'd like to stay with a Tacoma when it comes time to upgrade (assuming that a MT remains available) . However, I hope to be travelling more extensively by that time....and suspect that the Tundra is going to make for a much easier towing experience overall.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote