21 towing: no WDH and medium sized trucks? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #21

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
I had a Anderson on my Casita and it was a royal pain if you didn't have the trailer exactly straight behind the truck hooking up. I have a new Tacoma with sway control and air bags, but I will still go with a wdh, as i like the feeling of one unit behind me as compared to a bouncing betty. California roads are the worst and I need all the help I can get.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have no expertise, but I question the use of air bags or other devices to stiffen the rear suspension. The WDH shifts weight to the front axle of the the tow and to the trailer. An air bag just makes it harder to compress the rear suspension ( that's my interpretation ).
Since my vehicle is mostly in front wheel drive, unless four wheel is required, I wanted weight transferred to the front.
Correct, the WDH shifts load between axles, while air bags "just" change the spring characteristics (not just stiffness, but preload and progression).

The principles of physics are the same for the two vehicles - RAV4 and Tacoma - but the details of the vehicles vary substantially:
  • The Tacoma has much longer wheelbase than the RAV4, so less load is transferred between the truck's axles due to hitch load than with the same hitch load on a RAV4.
  • The Tacoma has much more available load capacity in its rear suspension than the RAV4, and its rear GAWR is a greater percentage of its GVWR capacity than the RAV4's rear GAWR, so it handles load on the rear better... indeed, it will handle better with significant rear load.
  • The Tacoma is rear wheel drive, with four wheel drive usable only on loose or slippery surfaces, and the truck is handicapped in traction by having much less than half its weight on those rear tires when empty, so load addition to the rear axle is quite desirable for drive traction.
Different vehicles mean different suitability of WD. It can still be beneficial for a Tacoma, but not nearly as much so as for a RAV4.

Air suspension is good for trucks, due to the variability of the load they carry. Nearly all heavy trucks on the highway use it for the drive (rear) axles.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Different vehicles mean different suitability of WD. It can still be beneficial for a Tacoma, but not nearly as much so as for a RAV4.
I don't follow you here. The RAV is mainly front wheel drive, employing the rear wheels when required. The Tacoma is rear wheel drive, employing the front wheels when required.

It would appear to me ( speaking weight transfer ) that WD is more beneficial in the RAV4 than a Tacoma.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:28 AM   #24

Quote:
I don't follow you here. The RAV is mainly front wheel drive, employing the rear wheels when required. The Tacoma is rear wheel drive, employing the front wheels when required.
Yes, that's what I said (although the front wheels of the Tacoma can't be driven under most circumstances even if more tires driving would help).

Quote:
It would appear to me ( speaking weight transfer ) that WD is more beneficial in the RAV4 than a Tacoma.
Yes, I agree, and that's what I said. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
I had a Anderson on my Casita and it was a royal pain if you didn't have the trailer exactly straight behind the truck hooking up. I have a new Tacoma with sway control and air bags, but I will still go with a wdh, as i like the feeling of one unit behind me as compared to a bouncing betty. California roads are the worst and I need all the help I can get.
Jerry
True, but as long as you hook up at the same angle you unhooked, the pin in the triangle plate will be at the right angle.

One other thing I noticed at the rally: Several folks were removing the triangle plate and chain assembly once they were unhooked. Maybe that's a personal preference, but it's unnecessary. We leave ours on. Then once the tow vehicle is out of the way, lift up the triangle plate and bring the safety chains over the tongue to hold it off the ground. In doing so, we don't even have to adjust the chains once we are hooked up. Just a visual check to make sure the same number of threads are exposed, and off we go.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Didn't somebody lose that triangle piece to thieves on their first trip? Parked in the driveway of a friends house and had it disappear? Catchlight??
Of course, BBQ would have disappeared too.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #27

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryandmaria View Post
Jerry
Hi Jerry. Congrats on your new 21, that'll make 4 21's and a 19' on the Central Coast (3 former Casita owners, too!)! We pick up ours in July. Calls for a mini-rally!

Greg
Old 05-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Hi Jerry. Congrats on your new 21, that'll make 4 21's and a 19' on the Central Coast (3 former Casita owners, too!)! We pick up ours in July. Calls for a mini-rally!

Greg
At least 3 19's, mine and there is one in Santa Cruz and one in Felton that I know of. That rally is getting bigger.
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Almost 3 years and 20,000 miles with a Anderson and I still love it. Once you understand how to hook it up there is basically no adjustment needed when hooking up. We have not had to touch the adjustment nuts but one time in the last year. If the triangle plate is crooked when you hook up just pull forward opposite the angle and it will straighten out. Just using the jack is all you have to do to release the tension when unhooking or hooking up. A power jack would make it even easier.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
I hear a lot of trash talk about the Anderson hitch, any words of praise?

G (stands for gimp)
I have been using the Anderson with my '21 and Tacoma for exactly 1 year now.

No complaints. I store the trailer about 5 miles from the house and the road is cheap city rough. The ride is much smoother when I use the Anderson than when I use the utility hitch. I have done this apples-to-apples comparison a number of times.

I have no need to remove the triangular plate and am not sure why others do so. Yes, I need to take the knee, but also need to do so when hooking up the chains and power plug.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Once I understood the Andersen tricks, I really like it. While I have the wrench in the tool box, I just do what Robert says he does. Then again, an electric jack makes short work out of any wdh.

One of my favourites is to -not- put on the shorted side's bushing, just straight metal to metal. Drive a bit in campsite and reattach as normal.

No squeaks from mine but I haven't used in damp morning getaways either lately.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I have been using the Anderson with my '21 and Tacoma for exactly 1 year now.

No complaints. I store the trailer about 5 miles from the house and the road is cheap city rough. The ride is much smoother when I use the Anderson than when I use the utility hitch. I have done this apples-to-apples comparison a number of times.

I have no need to remove the triangular plate and am not sure why others do so. Yes, I need to take the knee, but also need to do so when hooking up the chains and power plug.

--
Alan
Thanks. I'll give one a try. I've watched the video and it's low impact enough I could handle it with no problem.

Question to disaffected Andersen owners, anybody want to unload one of those pesky things? Send a PM.

Greg
Old 05-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Question to disaffected Andersen owners, anybody want to unload one of those pesky things?
There's Greg, hearing about lemons and proposing to make lemonade!
Old 05-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
From some of the comments, you'd think you could get one cheap.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Techfan had one but I think it sold?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Got mine used on Craigslist, using the nationwide search. About half price.
Seems perfect.
There were several owners at the rally pulling 19s and 21s with newer Tacomas and no WDH--just bare ball, so to speak.
I agree with other advice, and try it without, then add if needed.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote