21 towing: no WDH and medium sized trucks? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
21 towing: no WDH and medium sized trucks?

I really can't/don't want to mess with a weight distribution hitch and my Tacoma and incoming 21. Any folks towing 21's with medium duty trucks like Tacomas/Colorados/etc without a WDH?

What mod's like air bags or after market suspension upgrades were involved. I added a 4th leaf spring already that makes towing my 19 a breeze. Hoping it will be the same with the 21.

Not questioning the glory of a WDH, I know their virtues. Various injuries make hassling with one a no go for me. As time marches on we get to pay the price for life's past indescretions, sort of like maxing out credit cards for a vacation!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Any folks towing 21's with medium duty trucks like Tacomas/Colorados/etc without a WDH?
You threw me for a minute: "medium duty" trucks are things that can weigh ten tons or more when loaded... of course you meant medium-sized pickup trucks, as shown in the thread title.

The "etc" might be a Frontier... although I can't think of a forum member towing a 21' with one, only smaller models (including 19') and the 5.0/5.0TA. The Colorado/Canyon only grew to mid-sized recently, so the odds are low for that one.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You threw me for a minute: "medium duty" trucks are things that can weigh ten tons or more when loaded... of course you meant medium-sized pickup trucks, as shown in the thread title.

The "etc" might be a Frontier... although I can't think of a forum member towing a 21' with one, only smaller models (including 19') and the 5.0/5.0TA. The Colorado/Canyon only grew to mid-sized recently, so the odds are low for that one.
I had that in mind when I was thinking of calling a Tacoma anything but a medium truck. I know trucks are pretty prevalent above the border and know from my travels that up your way a truck is more a definition of body style but down here, if it "ain't an f-250 with anything less that 6 wheels, it ain't squat"! Horns on the crash bars make it "more better".

We're a little more genteel here in SoCal, where a Tacoma/Colorado/Frontier/Ranger can be grudgingly accepted as a truck, but to plenty of folks here, it's not the # of wheels as much as how many feet it's off the ground that defines a "truck"!
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
I had that in mind when I was thinking of calling a Tacoma anything but a medium truck. I know trucks are pretty prevalent above the border and know from my travels that up your way a truck is more a definition of body style but down here, if it "ain't an f-250 with anything less that 6 wheels, it ain't squat"! Horns on the crash bars make it "more better".

We're a little more genteel here in SoCal, where a Tacoma/Colorado/Frontier/Ranger can be grudgingly accepted as a truck, but to plenty of folks here, it's not the # of wheels as much as how many feet it's off the ground that defines a "truck"!
I own a fullsize Ram 1500 with the Hemi V8 . I agree it is not a truck ,it is a glorified passenger vehicle or what is called a "Grocery Getter" Real trucks are one ton and above. In the real world a Tacoma is a toy truck , the same as mine. I have to also agree that California is in a world of its own so things may be different there .
Good luck with whatever you decide on for a vehicle .

PS : I did add a set of Airlift airbags to my rear suspension and they did improve ride and ride height when towing.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The Andersen w/d is very easy to use as compared to conventional set ups.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Greg, you can always add one if you try it without and you don't like how it feels. I appreciate the way the WDH makes the two vehicles feel more like one unit and am more than willing to spend the couple of minutes the hookup takes for that. But you may well feel that it tows and handles to your liking without a WDH. On my 2008 Tacoma I always felt like the rear springs were too lightweight so the WDH helped a lot with rear sag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

Thanks, I'm looking for options to a WDH. The Anderson and or airbags are doable, I'm hoping the 21 handles when hitched similar to my 19 but a loaded storage box might change the equation.

Thoer, thanks but its not a question of want/don't want to use a WDH, it's more like can't. Had one on a prior rig so I know what to expect but (cue the violins) low back op's, a neck and shoulder injury from my crime fighting days plus a pending wrist fusion from hockey and it's a road I'd rather not go down. Besides, I got tired of wiping grease off my hands and knees!!

I hear a lot of trash talk about the Anderson hitch, any words of praise?

G (stands for gimp)
Old 05-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Sorry Greg, looks like I didn't read your first post well enough. Since you added a leaf to the rear springs you might just be fine with your setup as it is.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Since the Andersen is a WDH, I don't see that as an option in your situation.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Thanks, I'm looking for options to a WDH. The Anderson and or airbags are doable, I'm hoping the 21 handles when hitched similar to my 19 but a loaded storage box might change the equation.

Thoer, thanjs but its not a question of want/don't want to use a WDH, it's more like can't. Had one on a prior rig so I know what to expect but (cue the violins) low back op's, a neck and shoulder injury from my crime fighting days plus a pending wrist fusion from hockey and it's a road I'd rather not go down. Besides, I got tired of wiping grease off my hands and knees!!

G (stands for gimp)
I like mine.... bought it for my Trailblazer/21 and still use it now that I have a Silverado. The truck doesn't need it, but it smoothes the ride and is easy to install.... I do have to take a knee to tighten the nuts on the chains tho'. (No grease).
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB

We like the Andersen. I'd recommend a power jack however, because there's more cranking in order to attach or remove the triangle plate. There's no greasy mess either. The sway control is superb. The Andersen gives towing a "one piece" feel for us. Very solid tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Since the Andersen is a WDH, I don't see that as an option in your situation.
Glenn, I scratched the Anderson because of the miserable reviews. It's definitely low impact enough if it a). works and b). holds up. Do you use one? Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
I was looking at the Anderson then when Escape stopped offering it I went for the E2 whd. Probably overkill for my Tacoma but that along with the power jack makes it very easy to hook up. No grease around. I do have to take a knee to get the bars in place. Just posting this for extra info
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Air bags work really well and they are not very hard to install yourself. The Tacoma will have enough power and the airbags will level it back up when you are towing. I prefer them over adding extra leaf springs because adding the springs often makes for a much rougher ride when you are not towing. I have had mine for a few years but I think you can still get them for a bit over $200. The Air Ride brand comes with lifetime warranty I believe.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Salinas View Post
I was looking at the Anderson then when Escape stopped offering it I went for the E2 whd. Probably overkill for my Tacoma but that along with the power jack makes it very easy to hook up. No grease around. I do have to take a knee to get the bars in place. Just posting this for extra info
Great responses, thanks guys! Think I'll give the Andersen or airbags a whirl if it needs something.

Jeff, welcome to the Cal Escape Club, some call us a herd but I think we're more like a mob. A herd at least follows the head bull, we're all over the pasture, but we're lovable once you get used to us.

FYI, try towing without a WDH. I have +20k miles pulling our 19 with a 2010 Tacoma with nothing more that a Home Depot hitch. I actually like the one that has 3 balls in one, gives me something to hook the breakaway to. Nothing to it, easy and tows fine. No bounce, no sway, droop is maybe an inch.

G
Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Hey Greggo,

Love the three baller! I've restored trailers for 10 years and it allows me to go pick up whatever without having to worry if I have the right ball with me.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Hey Greggo,

Love the three baller! I've restored trailers for 10 years and it allows me to go pick up whatever without having to worry if I have the right ball with me.
There's a joke there but we'll save it for the campfire at Quartzsite!! I can only imagine what Earl would chime in! Ha!

G
Old 05-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Glenn, I scratched the Anderson because of the miserable reviews. It's definitely low impact enough if it a). works and b). holds up. Do you use one? Thoughts?
I don't have the Andersen.
Bunch of people jumped at it after a couple recommendations, and then a bunch jumped off and ETI quit offering it.
I wasn't willing to pay $200 more for a WDH that didn't appear to do anything more than my Pro Series.
I have no expertise, but I question the use of air bags or other devices to stiffen the rear suspension. The WDH shifts weight to the front axle of the the tow and to the trailer. An air bag just makes it harder to compress the rear suspension ( that's my interpretation ).
Since my vehicle is mostly in front wheel drive, unless four wheel is required, I wanted weight transferred to the front.
Since I don't drive at night, I wasn't worried about where my headlights are pointed.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:

G (stands for gimp)
I bought one with high hopes, but after two trips with it I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hi Gregg . We have airbags on truck for years . Don't know if we can compare with our trucks . But I remember Dennis when he hooked us up said that was good . We use no sway or weight hitch at all . We also have front box . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote