'22 Ford F150 hitch install for 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
'22 Ford F150 hitch install for 5.0

Hi all. After much consideration we have decided to ditch our plan to pull our new 5.0TA (still in Chilliwack) with our Nissan Frontier and upgrade to a new Ford F150 XL 3.5 EB with the 6.6' bed. The Ford dealership also owns an RV dealership and will install the Andersen Ultimate Connection and F150 specific rail kit before delivery.

I am assuming the install of the rails, using the specific F150 mounting hardware, will work for a 5.0. Are there any specific considerations I should tell the dealer about?

Thanks
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Hi all. After much consideration we have decided to ditch our plan to pull our new 5.0TA (still in Chilliwack) with our Nissan Frontier and upgrade to a new Ford F150 XL 3.5 EB with the 6.6' bed. The Ford dealership also owns an RV dealership and will install the Andersen Ultimate Connection and F150 specific rail kit before delivery.

I am assuming the install of the rails, using the specific F150 mounting hardware, will work for a 5.0. Are there any specific considerations I should tell the dealer about?

Thanks
A couple of people here cannot open their tailgate completely when hooked to their 5.0, but only a couple. With our 2015 F150 our tailgate was barely 1" from the camper when open. When we purchased our 2019 F150 we asked Truckin America in Rochester to install the rails 2" closer to the tailgate. They said there is enough slop with the F150 kit to accommodate the request. They did drill the holes 2" closer than suggested and now our tailgate is >3" from the camper when dropped down. It does make a difference.

We pull our trailer about 10,000 miles every year. You should always have the rail bolts checked at least once. They've checked ours three times and only the first time did they find a loose bolt.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-12-2022, 11:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Most F150 vehicle-specific no-drill underbed rail mounting kits will locate the rails within a very few inches of the same position and should yield a very satisfactory end result with regard to cab-clearances. Perry's point about tailgate clearance being 'tight' with many F150-specific rail mounts is valid, IME.

Different reputable brands may vary slightly in regard to exact rail location relative to the back-edge of the bed. That dimension can be found by searching online for the installation instructions for each specific brand/model of mounting kit.

I'd want to know the exact brand and model of underbed mounting kit proposed before it is installed. I'd want to verify that particular kit includes the appropriate provisions for isolating the steel underbed components from the aluminum bed components (most accomplish that by providing materials and instructions for placing an isolating layer of robust synthetic tape at points of potential steel/aluminum contact). Then of course ensure the installer understands the importance of following the instructions for placing those isolating materials.

Congrats on your new rig!
Old 11-12-2022, 08:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
You probably already know about this, but in addition to the Andersen Ultimate Hitch & the rail kit, you'll also need to get the safety chains & rail tabs as a separate item. Good luck!

https://andersenhitches.com/product/...ith-rail-tabs/

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Escape's 5.0 product page has a link to a compatibility guide with most of what they (and you) need to know. It does appear to be missing how far the pin can be from the rear corners of the box and still have the trailer clear them in turns.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Thanks everyone! Appreciate all of the info. I decided to go with the hide-away gooseneck ball and Andersen Ultimate hitch rather than the rail type Andersen Ultimate connection. It was a bit more expensive but I like having a clean truck bed rather than rails. Oddly the the hitch installer, which has a really good reputation, pushed back on the safety chains saying they were unnecessary. I went with them anyway but thought it was interesting.

With a little luck, we should be northbound to Chilliwack shortly after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
... I decided to go with the hide-away gooseneck ball and Andersen Ultimate hitch rather than the rail type Andersen Ultimate connection. ....
I've got the removable B&W turnoverball + Andersen Ultimate in my 2022 F150 w/6.5ft box as I did with my similar 2005 F150. I bet you'll appreciate the rail-free bed as I do.

It may vary state-to-state but in TX safety chains are required with the Andersen hitch, I run with them all the time, no worries!

Again, congrats on your new rig, y'all have a great trip to-and-from Chilliwack!
Old 11-22-2022, 01:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Greetings. Me again. The date is set and we will be traveling to Sumas for pickup the the second week of December. One more question for you 5.0 owners out there. It is 51" to the top of the ball on the Andersen Ultimate hitch in it's lowest (shortest) setting. Reviewing the Towing Compatibility Guide, with the lift kit on the 5.0 unit we have purchased and the pinbox in the extended(standard) configuration, there is a difference of 2.5 inches. I'm thinking the sag of the pin weight should bring me to a near level tow. My side walls are 55". Does this sound about right?

I truly appreciate your patience. This is my first fifth wheel.
Thanks
Old 11-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
My 2019 F150 4x4 Supercab 2.7 EB has an unloaded open tailgate to ground of almost 36". The rails are about 1" high and the Andersen #3200 at the lowest position is 15.75" making the unloaded total height of the hitch about 53.5" There is about 2" different between 4WD and 2WD bed height. We ordered our 5.0 with lift kit and retracted (upper position) pin box. The bed settles about 2.5" loaded for a final height to top of pin about 51." Our 5.0 rides level with those options. A further advantage of the retracted pin box is that if the nose of the 5.0 is low, its very easy to increase the hitch ball in 1" increments. Good luck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fort_Casy.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	65935
Old 11-22-2022, 04:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We also went with the in bed gooseneck style and we really like it!! Nothing in the bed at all when we're not towing makes for easy loading of large panels like drywall etc.! BTW Andersen Hitches just sent me a new plastic pin box part because mine had cracked after 4 years of use; They said it would not affect the performance of the hitch but sent the part to me anyways...wow, that is an impressive company for sure!!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:11 PM   #11

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
We also went with the in bed gooseneck style and we really like it!! Nothing in the bed at all when we're not towing makes for easy loading of large panels like drywall etc.
We have rails, plus in the past on other trucks, and have no problem loading dryall or other large items. This is a non-issue, something that is blown way out of proportion.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-25-2022, 09:35 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
We have rails, plus in the past on other trucks, and have no problem loading dryall or other large items. This is a non-issue, something that is blown way out of proportion.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry,

Thanks for that, that's good to know when I get asked in the future. I do like the Andersen hitch but, as this is the first time I've ever towed a fifth wheel, I'm certainly no expert. I do know that I really like the hitch, especially when I get back home and it takes me 5 minutes to take it off the truck and hang it on my garage wall!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
I have the rails and the only time they are an issue is when I load up debris in the bed. Still have some chunks of drywall stuck in there from a project this summer. Not a big deal, it’s a truck. But will likely go with the gooseneck version next time.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote