2nd gen Colorado/Canyon owner, 5.0 TA picker uppers, what tow mirror? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
2nd gen Colorado/Canyon owner, 5.0 TA picker uppers, what tow mirror?

I know there's a few of you, and I didn't want to jack an existing thread. I think your options are:

1. Use the stock mirror, and reconcile yourself to a widening blind spot as you look back farther.
2. Clip on mirror extensions.
3. The Australian Clearview replacements.

I'm currently waiting for Clearview to officially recommend one of their products for my 2018 Duramax, Z71 crew cab, long bed. But no $ have changed hands, and if anyone has better ideas, I'm listening.

I would also like to hear from any 2nd gen Colorado/Canyon 5.0 TA pullers, on their experience with their mirrors, be they stock, clip on, or high $ Clearview.

Thx.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
another reason why I went back to an Escape 19 from the larger Escape 21, no need for mirror extenders...
Old 09-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
2015 Canyon gas w/2017 TA. Not a problem.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
I know there's a few of you, and I didn't want to jack an existing thread. I think your options are:

1. Use the stock mirror, and reconcile yourself to a widening blind spot as you look back farther.
2. Clip on mirror extensions.
3. The Australian Clearview replacements.

I'm currently waiting for Clearview to officially recommend one of their products for my 2018 Duramax, Z71 crew cab, long bed. But no $ have changed hands, and if anyone has better ideas, I'm listening.

I would also like to hear from any 2nd gen Colorado/Canyon 5.0 TA pullers, on their experience with their mirrors, be they stock, clip on, or high $ Clearview.

Thx.
I would say try with stock mirrors first and if you find you need tow mirrors I would go with Clear View.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
I have the Clearview mirrors on my Canyon and wouldn't be without them, but I can't say how they compare to the OEM mirrors for towing because I installed the Clearviews two days after I took delivery of the truck, long before we picked up our 21. I will say that I personally find even the Clearview mirrors inadequate for towing if I forget to pull them out to their maximum extension. Many people are very happy with their clip-ons - there are several threads on the topic. To me, though, the clip-ons are an ugly PITA, so the Clearview option was well worth the price. YMMV. I confess I still growl about the fact that GM sells the truck, that they advertise for towing, without offering a towing mirror option as they do on the Silverado/Sierra models.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
I have the Clearview mirrors on my Canyon and wouldn't be without them, but I can't say how they compare to the OEM mirrors for towing because I installed the Clearviews two days after I took delivery of the truck, long before we picked up our 21. I will say that I personally find even the Clearview mirrors inadequate for towing if I forget to pull them out to their maximum extension. Many people are very happy with their clip-ons - there are several threads on the topic. To me, though, the clip-ons are an ugly PITA, so the Clearview option was well worth the price. YMMV. I confess I still growl about the fact that GM sells the truck, that they advertise for towing, without offering a towing mirror option as they do on the Silverado/Sierra models.
Did you install the Clearview mirrors yourself? If so was it easy or difficult?
Old 09-30-2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Did you install the Clearview mirrors yourself? If so was it easy or difficult?
Many people have done the install themselves, some in as little as 20 minutes (by their report) but most seem to take an hour or two. For my 2016, the mirrors are straight plug and play; you just have to remove the door panel then it's easy to remove the OEM mirrors and plug in the Clearviews. Lots of information on this thread if you care to wade through it to find the right posts.

Tow Mirrors - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

Having said that, there are a couple of cautionary notes. First, the wiring for 2017 trucks is apparently a little different, and Clearview seems to have been a bit slow in revising their connectors, so they may not be pure plug and play for 2017 and later trucks, although I expect the physical fit is still good. Second, since GM does not have an option for turn signals in the mirrors, the trucks are not wired for this, which makes the install more complex if you opt for turn indicators in your Clearview mirrors.

I got mirrors with the turn indicators (ordered without, but Clearview sent a set with the indicators by mistake), and I quit working on cars about 40 years back, so I got a local custom shop to do the install, including wiring for the indicator lights. That was three hours of labor (including them figuring out how/where to get a turn signal) and a dollar or two for materials. My sense, though, is that most people who have bought the mirrors have done their own installs, including wiring for turn indicators if necessary. It just depends on your comfort level and experience with this kind of work. FYI, I paid US$435 for the mirrors, $175 for shipping (DHL air freight from Australia; had them in less than a week), and $200 for the install. Pricey, but worth it to me.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
Old 10-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Many people have done the install themselves, some in as little as 20 minutes (by their report) but most seem to take an hour or two. For my 2016, the mirrors are straight plug and play; you just have to remove the door panel then it's easy to remove the OEM mirrors and plug in the Clearviews. Lots of information on this thread if you care to wade through it to find the right posts.

Tow Mirrors - Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon

Having said that, there are a couple of cautionary notes. First, the wiring for 2017 trucks is apparently a little different, and Clearview seems to have been a bit slow in revising their connectors, so they may not be pure plug and play for 2017 and later trucks, although I expect the physical fit is still good. Second, since GM does not have an option for turn signals in the mirrors, the trucks are not wired for this, which makes the install more complex if you opt for turn indicators in your Clearview mirrors.

I got mirrors with the turn indicators (ordered without, but Clearview sent a set with the indicators by mistake), and I quit working on cars about 40 years back, so I got a local custom shop to do the install, including wiring for the indicator lights. That was three hours of labor (including them figuring out how/where to get a turn signal) and a dollar or two for materials. My sense, though, is that most people who have bought the mirrors have done their own installs, including wiring for turn indicators if necessary. It just depends on your comfort level and experience with this kind of work. FYI, I paid US$435 for the mirrors, $175 for shipping (DHL air freight from Australia; had them in less than a week), and $200 for the install. Pricey, but worth it to me.
Thx for your complete post. We're gigging Clearview, who told us that they would have the 2018 wiring figured out "within a month", well over a month ago. Maybe when they return to work Monday. I watched the install vid, and I could do it. Time? I support the old saying "Make a time estimate, double it, and go to the next larger time unit" I can rewire, if it's just a matter of cutting/reconnecting what's in front of me. If I had to dig for turn signal wires, I'd shell cash like you. I'm also with you on this solution, overall. The ugliness of the clip ons is tolerable, but we had them for our Volvo XC90/Casita 17' combo, and they were tedious to adjust and always seemed to sag while driving. I caught myself scooching down quite a bit, between gas stops, to check mirrors. Thanks again...
Old 10-02-2017, 12:43 AM   #9

If you don't opt for the turn indicators, and assuming that Clearview gets caught up on their end, no wiring/re-wiring will be required - just unplug the OEM mirrors and plug in the new ones. It's only more complex if you get the turn indicators. Look at post #352 in the coloradofans thread I referenced in my earlier post to see a description of what I think is the best way to approach that problem. The shop that installed mine did it the same way as described in that post except that they ran the wiring from the BCM into the doors through a separate wire loom. I'd be happy to show you what was done the next time I'm in your neighborhood (wife's family is in Florissant) but that probably won't be until next spring/summer.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:03 AM   #10

Trailer: none yet
Ouch

Quote:
FYI, I paid US$435 for the mirrors, $175 for shipping (DHL air freight from Australia; had them in less than a week), and $200 for the install. Pricey, but worth it to me.
That works out to about $1000 Canadian. I think I'll stick with my clip-ons. There're not that ugly to me now.
Poco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poco Kid View Post
That works out to about $1000 Canadian. I think I'll stick with my clip-ons. There're not that ugly to me now.
See your point, but I find it impossible to maintain an adjustment with them. That's the decider for me.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
See your point, but I find it impossible to maintain an adjustment with them. That's the decider for me.
Never had that issue with Milenco Grand Aero mirrors. I adjust them and then adjust my vehicle mirrors independently.
Attached Thumbnails
Milenco .jpg  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Have the same ones. Once in place, stays in place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0211.jpg