2nd generation Honda Ridgeline + 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
2nd generation Honda Ridgeline + 17B

Greetings, I was not planning a weight distribution or sway bar due to the lightness of the trailer. Sue was talking to a neighbor who's first question was, what type of sway bar are you getting? She goes on telling the story her brother was hit by a wind, the trailer went into a sway, car and trailer flipped, no one died. By this time I'm out there and reply it is only a 17 footer, she replies so was theirs. This is one of the key words Sue has picked up,(anti-sway), now I'm going to have to do something in this direction. How do Ridgeline owners handle the sway bar issue and what do you recommend.
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17A 2016
We have a 2017 Ridgeline and a 17A Escape.
Have done tons of traveling and have never used a sway bar or weight distribution bar. Never have we had issues. Even going through a torrential rain fall with water staying on the road. No problems...ever. We drive to the specifications and conditions.
rsdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
2019 Ridgeline and no sway bar. I haven’t driven in high wind because I wouldn’t, but haven’t had any problems with sway. What was the neighbor’s friend driving and how fast? The Ridgeline/17 setup seems plenty stable.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 01:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Vehicles of every kind crash every day; that does not mean that they were unsafe, and in most cases it means that they were incompetently or irresponsibly driven, or were the victims of incompetently or irresponsibly driving by others. A properly loaded trailer driven at reasonable speed doesn't need any kind of anti-sway device.

A weight distribution system and a bar-type sway control device are two completely different things. Stan, which one do you think you need?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21NE
2021 Ridgeline with a 21NE here and no sway control, no issues thus far.
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
Thanks all, I don't know what type of rig flipped and it was probably more than a few years ago. I'm picking up May 24 and heading to Osoyoos. In my thoughts I don't think anything is needed as long as the truck and trailer are packed correctly and driven conservatively. Just checking concenses. Thanks Stan
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape is going to be busy that day, we too pick up on 5/24 Tuesday morning and then heading east to Osoyoos. It is about 3-4 hour beautiful drive.....bring a bike, the CG is huge.