4Runner as a tow vehicle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2021, 01:56 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 15A
People whine about the "outdated" 4Runner, but it is still selling well, so why would Toyota change it? They have plenty of other more "modern" SUVs to choose from if desired.

Whereas, the Land Cruiser was selling so poorly they either had to scuttle it or remake it.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
People whine about the "outdated" 4Runner, but it is still selling well, so why would Toyota change it?
A fair question. Most vehicle changes are not needed for the vehicle to be functional or desirable; they are done to meet changing fashions or new regulations. More efficient and cleaner engines and transmissions are needed to meet corporate average fuel economy and emissions rules, as much as to produce better published economy numbers to attract buyers. SUVs exist to a large extent to dodge regulations which apply to normal passenger vehicles, and poor fuel economy may be more acceptable in an SUV than in a sedan.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 17b
I tow a 200617b with a 3rd gen, 2001 4runner. Me the wife boy and 50lb mut. 2 inflatable paddleboards , two bike racks, 3bmx bikes, front tongue box and two full 20lb propane tanks, and everything else you would need to glamp with. No issues. But I take it easy up the coquihalla in 2nd. Oh and I have a tranny cooler and one up tire size.
Toddybegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Have puts lots of miles past 3 years on our 2017 17B towing with a 2016 Tacoma. email me if you have questions: lloydjdorsey@gmail.com
lloydjdorsey@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yep, lots of love for dinosaurs of all kinds.

They go extinct, though, so I wouldn't bet on there being a 4Runner in a few years. SUVs are the currently fashionable thing, but the lack of any powertrain updates to this model in a decade suggest that it will either get a major generational change (think of the new Land Rover "Defender" or Mercedes G-Class versus a real Defender or G-Class)... or die.
Our new traveling companion...
Attached Thumbnails
5E0C9A55-34D4-4A66-8977-351440CCDB47.jpg  
Great Eggstrications is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #26
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
People whine about the "outdated" 4Runner, but it is still selling well, so why would Toyota change it? They have plenty of other more "modern" SUVs to choose from if desired.

Whereas, the Land Cruiser was selling so poorly they either had to scuttle it or remake it.
4Runner & Highlander have proven themselves to be viable transportation & haulers in many circumstances. And they are indeed selling well.

But everything I've been reading on Toyota's focus over the next 10 years appears to be all electric vehicles. No doubt diesel, gas & hybrid will still be around, but Toyota's development of next generation batteries will be 'fueling' the transition.

Considering the average distance travelled with the 'daily driver' world wide, I suspect Toyota's battery development will carry on it's reputation of reliable & affordable products. Here's an article on that very topic:

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/toyo...20-2030/64261/
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:06 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Eggstrications View Post
Our new traveling companion...
Hi: Great Eggstrications... WELCOME Dino!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote