5.0 Aerodynamics - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: none yet
5.0 Aerodynamics

Trying to find data on the aerodynamics of 5.0 vs bumper pull. My gut says there is less wind resistance (and better mileage) with the 5th wheel but I could be wrong (again). Anybody happen to have mileage figures on comparable 5th wheel and conventional trailers?
Thanks,
Sam
samueltbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by samueltbuckner View Post
Trying to find data on the aerodynamics of 5.0 vs bumper pull. My gut says there is less wind resistance (and better mileage) with the 5th wheel but I could be wrong (again). Anybody happen to have mileage figures on comparable 5th wheel and conventional trailers?
Thanks,
Sam
Sam,
Weight as well as wind resistance has a lot to do with fuel efficiency. If you are interested in purchasing an Escape and your decision is between a 5.0TA or a bumper pull, please allow me to pass on some sage advice once given to me. If pulling a travel trailer is something you want to do and enjoy, the price of fuel is something you accept if you want that enjoyment. That being said, choose the layout and features that you feel best suit your needs.

I can tell you my average when towing my 5.0TA with a 3.5L EcoBoost F-150 is approximately 14 mpg. My previous F-150 was a 2.7L EcoBoost, fried by EMP from a nearby lightning strike. It, too, averaged around 14 mpg towing, but not towing, got 4.5 more mpg than the 3.5L. I went the route of the 3.5L engine because I like it’s added power. I recall someone who had the same truck configuration and an Escape 19 telling me he averaged 16 mpg.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

I am sure someone will come up with an opinion soon.

The Escape is slippery trailer. I had a traditional trailer within an inch of the outside dimensions of a 19 and could feel every semi that went by on a two lane road. With the Escape 19 anything I feel is much less.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:29 PM   #4

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Sam,
Weight as well as wind resistance has a lot to do with fuel efficiency. If you are interested in purchasing an Escape and your decision is between a 5.0TA or a bumper pull, please allow me to pass on some sage advice once given to me. If pulling a travel trailer is something you want to do and enjoy, the price of fuel is something you accept if you want that enjoyment. That being said, choose the layout and features that you feel best suit your needs.

I can tell you my average when towing my 5.0TA with a 3.5L EcoBoost F-150 is approximately 14 mpg. My previous F-150 was a 2.7L EcoBoost, fried by EMP from a nearby lightning strike. It, too, averaged around 14 mpg towing, but not towing, got 4.5 more mpg than the 3.5L. I went the route of the 3.5L engine because I like it’s added power. I recall someone who had the same truck configuration and an Escape 19 telling me he averaged 16 mpg.
To give you some comparison data. My friend pulls a 20' traditional stick built bumper pull trailer with a 2020 3.5 EcoBoost and he consistently gets 9 MPG.

He by no means is a speedster. If anything he is the guy always doing 10 MPH less than the speed limit.

His traditional pull behind is definitely NOT slippery.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Towing and mpg calculations are mutually exclusive. I only worry about fuel when the tank gets to 1/4 empty, otherwise I enjoy the trip.........
Old 03-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thanks,
Sam
Hi: samueltbuckner... If you really want to know what poor mileage is... try towing a parachute. It's lighter than fiberglass though!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #7

Trailer: none yet
Thanks all. C&G, you really got me thinking about this differently and I appreciate your sage advice. It is a big investment and I literally have to be comfortable in my choice.
Thanks again,
Sam
samueltbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
In know of a few people that have purchased a home on wheels and found it way to big to haul. To wide, to long, to high, to slow and way more expensive to tow than they wanted to pay.

One sits in a front yard (parked to close to the road) and never moves, the other two only travel to a nearby campground a few times a year.

We often comment to each other how happy we are with the size and layout of our 19 for our travels and camping style. The 21NE is also very interesting for more room but if we were to spent months driving, the 5.0 would be strongly considered.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Hi Sam, When I was initially considering the purchase of an Escape I was convinced I wanted a 21 bumper pull. My wife and I drove to the ETI showroom and first looked at the 21. Loved it. Until we walked into the 5.0! The taller ceiling made the trailer feel more spacious and a separate bedroom space was appealing. So my advice is to actually see both in person! The difference in gas mileage will be pretty insignificant! We purchased the 5.0 and love it. My tow is a Tundra with a 5.7 liter motor. Great truck but not so great mileage. 11 or 12 at best. I could care less about the mileage. I love the truck and trailer combo. Works great for me!
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #10

Get a handle on it!!!

Quote:
Thanks,
Sam
Hi: samuelbuckner... Oddly we didn't get great mileage towing our 13' Boler w/ a 3L V6 Taurus Wgn. Not much better w/ a 3.2L V6 GMC towing a 5.0 Escape. Better with a 4L V6 Nissan Frontier towing a 5.0TA. Best w/ a 3L V6 Diesel Ram. A lot of the difference is in the transmission. We progressed from a 3 speed w/ OD to a 3 speed w/ OD & tow haul to a 5 speed w/ 4 spd lock out and now an 8 speed w/ tow haul. I usually limit myself to 2000 rpm while towing. Mileage is important... wind resistance is too, but it doesn't keep us home like Co-Vivid does!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1030936.jpg  
Old 03-14-2021, 03:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
After towing the 5.0ta with a 14 GMC dbl cab (and being very happy!), we now use a 2020 3L diesel (10 spd tran). Covid has severely limited our travel, so the diesel is barely broken in, but driving 60-65 mph our mileage is in the upper teens whether in mountains or prairies. The 5.3 was typically in the low teens. Speed is the strongly limiting factor if fuel economy is a priority.
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
I towed an 18 ft stick trailer. Dry weight was 3100lbs as well as my 5TA with my current truck.
Stick trailer towing was 19.8 litres/100 or 11.8 mpg
5TA is 17.2 litres/100km or 13.7mpg
The 5TA is heavier and bigger but the smooth finish and fit with the truck make it a much better tow
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
One significant difference that hasn't been discussed is that when you tow a 5th wheel you loose the considerable storage capacity of the truck.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:33 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
That depends on your tow vehicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	118825156_10164221581235693_8713177508011975017_o.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	54274

A fiberglass topper on the back of a pickup could impact that too.

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #15

Carry on towing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
One significant difference that hasn't been discussed is that when you tow a 5th wheel you loose the considerable storage capacity of the truck.
Hi: yardsale... That's unless you didn't have "Considerable" capacity in the first place. With our less than 1/2 ton...half ton we just carry a few plastic outdoor tables and the wet items if there are any. I did buy a folding aluminium rake to tidy up the campsite with. I hope that doesn't put us overweight. Alf
Old 03-15-2021, 08:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
One significant difference that hasn't been discussed is that when you tow a 5th wheel you [lose] the considerable storage capacity of the truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: yardsale... That's unless you didn't have "Considerable" capacity in the first place. With our less than 1/2 ton...half ton we just carry a few plastic outdoor tables and the wet items if there are any. I did buy a folding aluminium rake to tidy up the campsite with. I hope that doesn't put us overweight. Alf
Don't forget a bumper pull trailer 'consumes' less of the trucks payload than a 5th wheel. A properly loaded bumper pull Escape 19 or 21 will only use 500 lbs of your 1/2 ton truck's payload. Yes, a 5th wheel places a lot more weight on the truck and leaves less available payload.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #17

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Not really, unless you're carrying specialty items, or unwilling to figure a different arrangement for packing. You'd be amazed at how over time we've actually figured ideal places for storage others just throw in the back of their trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Don't forget a bumper pull trailer 'consumes' less of the trucks payload than a 5th wheel. A properly loaded bumper pull Escape 19 or 21 will only use 500 lbs of your 1/2 ton truck's payload. Yes, a 5th wheel places a lot more weight on the truck and leaves less available payload.
With an existing truck that is a legitimate concern. Every truck I've purchased since 1989 has been purchased for pulling, so for us, have not found this to be a problem (except our bumper-pull Bigfoot's 1,000 tongue weight put us closer to the edge).

OMG, is this a 5th vs pull competition?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
But not all (my F-150 short bed has a 5.5' box).
Attached Thumbnails
Bed of truck loaded IMG_20200604_170307.jpg  
Old 03-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Oh my. In spite of losing all that truck storage space because I have a 5th Wheel hitch in the bed I have a saddle tool box containing all my water, electrical, and propane parts and accessories, as well as a campfire in a can. Outside of the tool box I have 2 camp chairs, a Clam Traveler shelter, an Xtend & Climb 10-foot ladder (slips under the toolbox), a milk crate with a 20 lbs propane cylinder, and a cooler. No pets or offspring so Weber grill in a tote goes in backseat with toolbag and Viair 12v compressor, and assorted Ryobi 12v tools. I’m trying to figure out how much I am suffering from the loss of storage space yet I cannot come up with an answer. Oh yea, I forgot; I have to leave the portable hot tub at home!
Old 03-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Yes, because that wasn't the question being asked. It was,

"5.0 Aerodynamics
Thanks,
Sam
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote