5.0 and F150 owners - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Does anyone seriously think the Ford Motor Company would allow its reputation and future sales ride on an engine that is likely to fail?

I have no opinion to offer, but must point out that Ford did introduce the Edsel and the Pinto.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:05 PM   #82

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Very well said Sir, I share your experience and knowledge and agree whole heartily. No need for opinions, you either know or you don't.
Whatever.

I have experience and knowledge, and my experience is that people whose responses are bedded in the belief it is better because it is tried and proven with no hard evidence that it is better than newer technology usually are nowhere near as knowledgeable as they think they are. And often condescending remarks come from individuals who will, for example, say they do not like broccoli, but in reality have never tried it because they have always eaten green beans. Their friends or acquaintances who don’t like broccoli have influenced them, So they absolutely know broccoli cannot possibly be as good as green beans.

I am guessing neither of you has a lick of personal experience with Ford’s EcoBoost because it seems obvious neither of you would even consider owning one. If I am wrong, then I respectfully apologize. If not, then when you actually have owned one, and it fails as you are so sure that it will, then and only then you can tell me “you either know or you don’t,” and I will respect your knowledge and experience (opinion). But unless you have first hand knowledge and experience, you are correct: you don’t know; you are only speculating. And speculation with no evidence lacks validity; it is, in reality, opinion and uneducated opinion at that.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #83

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have no opinion to offer, but must point out that Ford did introduce the Edsel and the Pinto.
Actually, the Edsel was rather technologically advanced; I believe it was the styling that was not appreciated. Of course they reversed their fortunes with the introduction of the Mustang. The F-150 is a top seller and Ford is cutting production of the V-8 due to lack of demand.

And Glenn, you know who Floyd is. Almost all of us are aware of Floyd on FGRV. Not that I agree, but Floyd, the biggest defender of Scamp and a purchaser of only Ford products will tell you the Pinto is the best vehicle ever made. I find it somewhat hard to buy into that, anymore than I buy into the superiority of Ford’s V-8. I had an assigned fleet truck before I retired and it was an F-150 4WD with a V-8 Coyote. It had more engine problems than either of my two personally owned F-150 EcoBoosts. But I hesitate to use it as an example because it was maintained by the agency’s mechanics and not by Ford techs, so I am not sure it wouldn’t have been more reliable had it been maintained by Ford techs.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #84

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I have a 2015 Ford F150 Supercrew with 6.5 foot box with the V8 engine, last year we completed a trip towing our 2019 5.0TA from BC to Sudbury Ontario over the Rockies (using Crowsnest pass) and this past winter we completed a 6000 mile trip from home to Texas - Louisiana - Florida - Georgia and home again. Over the two trips we have found towing the 5.0TA to be effortless, it pulls well, accelerates great (even uphill) and we've averaged between 14.6 to 15 mpg over the entire time. I strongly believe that if you have a Ford F150 with either of the EcoBoost or V8 engines, you essentially have way more capacity than required to pull such a small, streamlined lightweight trailer, there will be no issues, period! Also important, is the weight advantage in terms of a heavier vehicle pulling a lighter trailer; if your tow vehicle is heavier than your trailer, it simply feels a lot better because it does not cause nearly as much sway in the wind.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Growing up I helped my dad restore a 1932 Ford with the first v-8 flathead. It was the first car I ever drove.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #86

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Been around engines all my life, from semi trucks, heavy equipment, farm equipment, patrol cars.
A six cyl with a turbo is working much harder to achieve HP and Torque than a 8cyl.....plain and simple. A 450 HP Cat engine is working less to move similar mass than a 300 Cummins.
Turbo's produce heat, one of the main contributors to engine failure. The injectors are injecting fuel at over 1,000 psi compared to 10-15 lbs for the 5.0 The 3.5 ecoboost has a known problem with timing chain tensioners. Turbo's are extremely expensive to replace.
My best friend is a long time Ford Mechanic /Service Manager. Has won several competitions that Ford holds for mechanics for diagnostics. He also agrees that the 5.0 is a more dependable platform than the ecoboosts.
It might be awhile before any turbo's are produced.....the Borg Warner plant who makes Fords turbo's got heavily damaged by a tornado.
The ecoboost is a good engine for the most part, there's just something better. With time the new 7.3 might move the 3.5 eb and 5.0 to the back seat...only time will prove it......like the 5.0
You obviously love V8 motors and there’s a lot to like. I’ve built and busted my share and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. But time marches on and evolution causes change. With all your experience with semi trucks and heavy equipment did you miss the fact that many are turbocharged? The 5 ton trucks used by the military in the Vietnam era where turbo charged and reliable as a hammer. I know. And if you talk about the 6 cylinder turbo working harder, well that Coyote v8 is spinning almost twice as fast as my little 2.7 to make the same 400 foot lbs of torque. Think about that. And turbos don’t create heat, they do make an engine create more power which indirectly will produce more heat. On your fuel pressure statement, well both the coyote v8 and the turbocharged 6 use the same fuel delivery systems. Oh yeah and the diesels your so fond of use injectors operating at pressures of between 29 & 36 thousand psi. And finally I think you’ll see Ecoboost F-150 long after the v8 is no longer offered. Go out and try an Ecoboost and see if your perceptions are perhaps misconceived. I have yet to hear anyone on this forum who actually owns an Ecoboost not liking it.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #87

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Very well said Sir, I share your experience and knowledge and agree whole heartily. No need for opinions, you either know or you don't.
Jeez, not too insulting!

Sorry, but your's is only a opinion too. You just think you know.

Perry
Old 04-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #88

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Before I bought our f150 I asked several mechanics I know about which engine would be best for me considering that I wanted to keep it for a long time. They would probably be considered "old school" and leaned towards the 5.0. When test driving |I tried both eco boost engines also and they were quite impressive so I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
The main reason I went with the 5.0 was that I have been driving an 2015 f150 with a 5.0 for work since 2016 and it has had no issues with any part of the truck except for the battery this last January when it was down to -35C and I didn't plug it in overnight.
Part of The reason Ford sells more eco boost engines than the v8 is that you pay a premium to get the v8. My truck was on the lot when I bought it but there was a $1850 extra charge for the v8 as a lot of trims have the eco boost as standard.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #89

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
Before I bought our f150 I asked several mechanics I know about which engine would be best for me considering that I wanted to keep it for a long time. They would probably be considered "old school" and leaned towards the 5.0. When test driving |I tried both eco boost engines also and they were quite impressive so I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
The main reason I went with the 5.0 was that I have been driving an 2015 f150 with a 5.0 for work since 2016 and it has had no issues with any part of the truck except for the battery this last January when it was down to -35C and I didn't plug it in overnight.
Part of The reason Ford sells more eco boost engines than the v8 is that you pay a premium to get the v8. My truck was on the lot when I bought it but there was a $1850 extra charge for the v8 as a lot of trims have the eco boost as standard.
You are absolutely right , you can’t go wrong with any of the motors you can get in an F150, with perhaps the exception of the base 3.3 normally aspirated 6. Even that would work with some of the smaller Escapes. But fact is close to 60% of F150 sold are Ecoboost, and the 2.7 cost $1k more than the standard 3.3. The 5.0 will cost you $2k over stock, while the 3.5 will cost you $2.6k more. The reason more Ecoboost are sold is that they work and work well. If you want the highest tow capacity you have to get the 3.5 . It even out tows their new 3 liter diesel which will cost you $4k over base.
Also any package that includes the Ecoboost you can guarantee that price is built in. No one is going to buy a King Ranch version with 3.3 base motor. Think about it.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:31 PM   #90

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is all about the marketing and the bottomline, which one gets the sales and which one is more profitable....simple economics.