5.0 Lift Kit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 01:51 PM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
5.0 Lift Kit

The pickup bed of our 2015 F150 is 56" from the ground to the rails of our folding topper. It seems we're in the grey area for the lift kit. Who has the lift kit on their 5.0 and would you do it again?

Thanks,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
My 2018 F-150 4x4 with 18" wheels comes to 56" to the top of the tonneau.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Can you measure that again? My 2014 HD 4x4 is 56", 10" higher is kind of a lot.
My bad! 56" not 66". I edited my original post.

Thanks

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I got the lift kit on my 2017 5.0TA and have been happy with it although I haven't driven on any roads which needed it. Slightly less bending down to get the slinky out of the tube and more slope for tank dumping. The step is 2.67 inches higher than it would be without the lift kit and lifting the bicycles onto the bike rack is higher/harder. I suppose road debris is less likely to damage the bottom of the trailer. I have no idea about a gas mileage decrease but I have travelled in high wind and cross wind conditions and the trailer is rock solid behind my F 150. I use the Anderson Jack Blocks under the front jacks and bed risers under the Bal supports in the rear. They are jacked up 2.67 inches higher than they would be if no lift kit. The trailer top is also 2.67 inches higher than it would be so cleaning the solar panel and roof is more difficult, especially for those of us lacking in verticality. (vertilicity?)
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I got the lift kit on my 2017 5.0TA and have been happy with it although I haven't driven on any roads which needed it. Slightly less bending down to get the slinky out of the tube and more slope for tank dumping. The step is 2.67 inches higher than it would be without the lift kit and lifting the bicycles onto the bike rack is higher/harder. I suppose road debris is less likely to damage the bottom of the trailer. I have no idea about a gas mileage decrease but I have travelled in high wind and cross wind conditions and the trailer is rock solid behind my F 150. I use the Anderson Jack Blocks under the front jacks and bed risers under the Bal supports in the rear. They are jacked up 2.67 inches higher than they would be if no lift kit. The trailer top is also 2.67 inches higher than it would be so cleaning the solar panel and roof is more difficult, especially for those of us lacking in verticality. (vertilicity?)

Good info! May I ask what year your F150 is?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #6

2010 F 150 Super Crew, 5.4L V8, 4 X 2 drive. The top of the bed rail is 56.5" and I have a set of SUMO Springs although empty they don't contact the axle so the rails aren't higher than normal. The truck settles at least an inch as I lower the trailer onto the Anderson Ultimate hitch.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0, 2018/juillet
there is a lot of opinion about the high lift axle, for my part I do not have it installed and I regret it, my truck is a f 150 2016, 4 doors 4x4, boxes of 6.5, my rear height is 56 inches. all is correct, I also have an anderson hitch. ETI expects your truck to drop 2 inches when your 5.0 is in the box, so that it is level. according to ETI spec the lowest front part of your 5.0 must be 17.1 / 4 inches (frame to floor) if your distance exceeds this measurement is that your truck is too high and the weight of your 5.0 will not be distributed equitablemnt on the wheels. Moreover, ETI has installed my coupler Anderson on my 5.0 and the hitch in my box so that it is as rear as possible (not in line with my axle) so that my bed crushes the most possibe to reach 17.1 / 4 inches. final results, I am 17 1/2 inches, it is acceptable. But my truck is not level. currently it is difficult to drive in the evening because the small 2 inches lower of my boxes make sure I illuminate the heads of trees. and I am constantly informed that my lights are high. . So I will install myself, the high lift axle, make sure my 5.0 is level and try to put my truck to the level as possible, I will try to copy the sheet with the spec. i ride 10,000 km yet with my 5.0 ta, sorry i dont khnow how incert picture
Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fournier View Post
there is a lot of opinion about the high lift axle, for my part I do not have it installed and I regret it, my truck is a f 150 2016, 4 doors 4x4, boxes of 6.5, my rear height is 56 inches. all is correct, I also have an anderson hitch. ETI expects your truck to drop 2 inches when your 5.0 is in the box, so that it is level. according to ETI spec the lowest front part of your 5.0 must be 17.1 / 4 inches (frame to floor) if your distance exceeds this measurement is that your truck is too high and the weight of your 5.0 will not be distributed equitablemnt on the wheels. Moreover, ETI has installed my coupler Anderson on my 5.0 and the hitch in my box so that it is as rear as possible (not in line with my axle) so that my bed crushes the most possibe to reach 17.1 / 4 inches. final results, I am 17 1/2 inches, it is acceptable. But my truck is not level. currently it is difficult to drive in the evening because the small 2 inches lower of my boxes make sure I illuminate the heads of trees. and I am constantly informed that my lights are high. . So I will install myself, the high lift axle, make sure my 5.0 is level and try to put my truck to the level as possible, I will try to copy the sheet with the spec. i ride 10,000 km yet with my 5.0 ta, sorry i dont khnow how incert picture
🤔Sounds like I have the same truck, except maybe payload. Mine is 1660 lbs. The truck and trailer ride perfectly level.
If the lights are your only problem they are adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails
24DBF36D-D7AC-4B2E-841F-254DE8B5790D.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔Sounds like I have the same truck, except maybe payload. Mine is 1660 lbs. The truck and trailer ride perfectly level.
If the lights are your only problem they are adjustable.
you have club cab. and if i adjust my light when i am loaded i will have problem un load. but really it is not problem,

have you mesure your frame trailer on front off, you suppose to have 17 1/4 inches

were you at 56 inches for your box?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #10

Quote:
you have club cab. and if i adjust my light when i am loaded i will have problem un load. but really it is not problem,

have you mesure your frame trailer on front off, you suppose to have 17 1/4 inches

were you at 56 inches for your box?
Ford has a bad habit of aiming their lights too high. We kept getting flashed because opposing drivers thought we had our brights on. I've talked to a couple other's who had the same problem. I took our 150 in and had the lightts corrected. We actually see better in snow and fog with the slightly lower lights and no longer get flashed at.

Food for thought.

Perry
Old 08-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I did not get high lift i am happy with my set up my truck/trailer are level . I have a F150 2.7 4x4 super crew. i didn't want my steps any higher. i have the Anderson hitch and have had no issues with my set up-but i did obsess over it before i got the rig set up . Escape told me i didn't need the lift but could get it if i wanted to.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #12

ETI is currently saying that 56" is in the grey area for the lift kit. We also want to carry a recumbent trike in the bed in front of the tailgate. The trike's front tire full of air is 19" tall. Thanks to Chotch I will be barely able to clear the tire. The 2.5" extra clearance will certainly help. I have until tomorrow morning to make our decision. After I write this I will be putting the trike in and seeing if the 19" Chotch measured will work. I'm leaning toward purchasing the lift kit.

Aside from the extra step height, I'm not seeing any other issues, except the $300 cost of the lift kit.

Thanks to all for the info! Rereading my original post it appears I limited the input to 5.0 owners with lift kits, I would be happy to hear from pull camper owners who have the lift kit also.

Thanks,

Perry
Old 08-21-2018, 02:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Mine was 55 inches tall
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The rails on my 2015 -150 are 56" high. I use the Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck hitch, do not have a lift kit, and my truck/trailer combo are nice and level.

Quote:
So I will install myself, the high lift axle, make sure my 5.0 is level and try to put my truck to the level as possible,.....
Lifting the trailer on the axle will do nothing to affect pin weight, thus will have no effect on levelling your truck. Maybe some load shifting? Have you measured your pin weight? I just measured my weights yesterday and found both my trailer and myself need to go on a diet.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The rails on my 2015 -150 are 56" high. I use the Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck hitch, do not have a lift kit, and my truck/trailer combo are nice and level.

Lifting the trailer on the axle will do nothing to affect pin weight, thus will have no effect on levelling your truck. Maybe some load shifting? Have you measured your pin weight? I just measured my weights yesterday and found both my trailer and myself need to go on a diet.
Jim - Out of curiosity which setting are you using for your ball height on the Andersen?
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #16

I'm using the Anderson Ultimate Rail Mount Hitch on my 2010 F 150 and Dennis at ETI set me up with the ball in the mid point. There the trailer is very close to level with the nose just slightly high. I have experimented with lowering the ball to the low point and the trailer is closer to level so I may leave it there. I'll probably experiment some on future longer trips, especially with empty black and grey tanks, a full fresh tank and the One Up bike rack with two bikes on it. I have the lift kit.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Using same set up, ball on lowest position. Truck and trailer ride perfectly level. 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Jim - Out of curiosity which setting are you using for your ball height on the Andersen?
The ball is at the lowest position, and would need to be raised one if I had the lift kit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I have a 2010 F150 Supercrew 4WD 6.5' bed rail height of 57.5" (including tonneau rails). I opted for the lift kit and use the middle position on the hitch ball which leaves the trailer very close to level. I also have the "ball funnel" portion of the andersen hitch mounted towards the trailer. I had intended it to face the other direction but escape said they do not mount them that way and I had an electrical gremlin to chase down while it was being mounted.

We plan on going to Dawson City most summers and wanted extra clearance for the ferry that crosses the Yukon and for other locations where extra clearance is nice to have (driveways can be one of the worst spots). I seriously doubt we would need it at the Dawson City ferry as I have watched *most* large coaches drive on/off without issue but thought we could easily remove the lift later if we didn't like it.

So far so good, I don't know of any cons for us..
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #20

i will check that point Bill,