5.0 PU Bed Covers - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape
I looked seriously at the Paragon & liked the same stuff you mention. However, I was a bit concerned about the paint getting a beat up look over time, then found several negative durability reviews saying there are little rubber bumpers separating the folded panels that fall off & the panels bang together. Reviews seemed to target the same concerns that I had, enough so, I made another choice, unfortunately, as I really liked the Paragon. Even considered panels would be easy to repaint..
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:45 PM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 [August]
Jack! Thanks for the quick reply and your durability "discovery". I agree with you regarding the paint issue but like you said, repainting the panels should be an easy proposition if they got too banged up. (That said, it would be nice if they offered a textured surface option to mitigate this potential problem). The rubber bumpers are definitely a bigger issue if they don't stay in place. I think I'll give them a call and ask that question directly to them as well as finding out if they have plans for any other surface treatment (unlikely). I've called several other companies during this "research" phase and they've all been very up front and helpful with their information. The RetraxPro MX still gets the nod at this time because of it's ability to lock in any open or closed position.

Thanks again and I'll keep posting as I find out more.
gjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:37 AM   #43

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsheldon View Post
Seems to answer most of the concerns with the exception that the mounted rails add about an inch more height to the bed rails. I'm wondering if the clearance is still adequate with the trailer lift-kit in place.

https://www.peragon.com

The rails also encroach in a couple of inches on each side of the bed reducing the width of the bed quite a bit.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
The rails also encroach in a couple of inches on each side of the bed reducing the width of the bed quite a bit.
Hi Chamberman,

Indeed! This is true of every low-profile fold-over and retractible tonneau cover system because they all require some type of "inside the bed" support (as opposed to just using the truck rails only). That is why I have not made a purchase yet. I have yet to hear or see convincing evidence that the two critical dimensions (decreasing the inside truck bed width and increasing the truck rail height) won't create a negative scenario during a moderate "off-camber" turn with the pinbox mounting plates coming into contact with the top or inside support system of the tonneau cover. My 5.0 won't be completed until August 9 (just finalizing the buildsheet now) so I may not have an answer until them. I have watched more videos and read more blogs trying to find a more definitive answer with very little success. The quest continues, but I'm losing hope that I'll hear from someone who has such a setup before I pick up our trailer. In my mind the ideal choice with my 2021 F150 Powerboost 5.5' box length is the RetraxPRO XR (with the T-bar rail mount system) because I can close/lock it partially when the trailer is still hitched and completely when unhitched with the Anderson Ultimate still in the truck bed.

Would love to hear from others about what has worked for them.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:26 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Please post your pictures when/if you get them. What about your setup didn't work with your previous tri-fold? Did the folded stack take up too much length at the front of the truck bed?
Yes the last one took up too much space when open all the way, and didn't allow enough room to connect the trailer easily. It had a fatal flaw: when folded up twice, there was nothing more the stack could do after that...if it did like many tri-folds do and was able to be folded up against the cab, or inside the bed like the Peragon, it may have worked.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Yes the last one took up too much space when open all the way, and didn't allow enough room to connect the trailer easily. It had a fatal flaw: when folded up twice, there was nothing more the stack could do after that...if it did like many tri-folds do and was able to be folded up against the cab, or inside the bed like the Peragon, it may have worked.
TahoeJoe,
And the ones that do allow the "stack" to fold up block the rear window. Even with onboard 360º cameras I still like to have the ability to have an actual eyes-on visual check of where I'm going. Not ready to trust technology with a 40K trailer!
Old 04-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #47

Quote:
Hi Chamberman,

Indeed! This is true of every low-profile fold-over and retractible tonneau cover system because they all require some type of "inside the bed" support (as opposed to just using the truck rails only). That is why I have not made a purchase yet. I have yet to hear or see convincing evidence that the two critical dimensions (decreasing the inside truck bed width and increasing the truck rail height) won't create a negative scenario during a moderate "off-camber" turn with the pinbox mounting plates coming into contact with the top or inside support system of the tonneau cover. My 5.0 won't be completed until August 9 (just finalizing the buildsheet now) so I may not have an answer until them. I have watched more videos and read more blogs trying to find a more definitive answer with very little success. The quest continues, but I'm losing hope that I'll hear from someone who has such a setup before I pick up our trailer. In my mind the ideal choice with my 2021 F150 Powerboost 5.5' box length is the RetraxPRO XR (with the T-bar rail mount system) because I can close/lock it partially when the trailer is still hitched and completely when unhitched with the Anderson Ultimate still in the truck bed.

Would love to hear from others about what has worked for them.
These pics help me out a bit. Someone shared with me pics showing the tailgate pin box clearance. Some further, more clear, pics of the side rail in a full turn are coming soon. I see the angle on the pin box rising fast enough from the pin that the box clears the sides and is above the sides a little over a foot out from the pin. My truck has just short of 2 ft on each side of the pin. Yours may differ so good to take some time. I will share the turn pin box pics when I see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Attach0_20210413_160001 (1).jpg   Attach0_20210415_135724 (1).jpg   FB_IMG_1618509198118.jpg   Attach0_20210415_135225.jpg  
Old 04-15-2021, 03:26 PM   #48

Jack!
Thanks for the pix and will look forward to seeing yours added to the collection.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Jack!
Thanks for the pix and will look forward to seeing yours added to the collection.
Here's a couple more, just came in. They missed the "money" shot. They will get the picture of the pinbox from the inside on the other side of the bed, with the truck at a max turn. They will get it next time, in a few days I expect. Stay tuned....
Attached Thumbnails
Attach0_20210415_162119 (1).jpg   Attach0_20210415_162103.jpg  
Old 04-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Jack!
Good shot here showing pinbox bracket over the side & tail gate with the truck straight. Coke can reference. Turned truck shot coming in a few days...
Attached Thumbnails
Attach0_20210415_180946.jpg  
Old 04-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #51

This is a usefull measurement from the pin to pinbox bracket bolts. My truck measures a little over 39 inches from the bed rail to the Anderson ball center. Pin to the pinbox bracket outside bolt is a bit over 29 inches. That said, the bracket should be about 10 inches inside the bed rail and likely above the rail by half a coke can , if the previous picture holds true with the truck turned. This would be easier when I have the trailer...laff.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210415-194713_Photo Editor.jpg  
Old 04-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
Good shot here showing pinbox bracket over the side & tail gate with the truck straight. Coke can reference. Turned truck shot coming in a few days...
Great shot! The Coke can provides a good relative size/distance reference. Trying to remember if you said you had the 5.5' or 6.5' bed length on your truck. Also recalling you have a steel rail-mount Andersen (or am I confusing you with someone else)!? My plan is for installation of the B&W Turnover ball gooseneck with the Andersen attached to that. B&W is dragging their feet a bit as they told me today it will be another week or two before they can take orders for the 2021 F150 hitch. My local installer also informed me that orders are taking 5-6 weeks to ship out due to their order backlog so I'm pushing into the middle or end of June just to have the hitch installed! COVID silver lining: It has apparently been good for some businesses, especially the RV industry and all other associated products. I still have clearance questions on the side rails because my measurements show a 31 inch distance from truck bed center to the inside of side rails (62" across) and the pinbox diagram from ETI shows the center hitch pin to back of pinbox mount at 32". Allowing for the 4" rear offset provided by the Andersen pin adapter should result in a clearance of 3" in a full 90º orientation of trailer to truck bed. But add 2+" of support rail for the RetraxPRO cover makes it a tight fit at best!
Old 04-15-2021, 09:24 PM   #53

I really like the look of the turnover style and all things equal would have picked it too. My truck is a bit different from the posted pic examples & your truck. I have a new RAM with a 6.4 bed & a little over 39" from the pin to the bed rail. Both trucks seem very close to the same, but I think the RAM has a bit more bed width & the 6.5 has a bit more length. The B&W turnover is available for RAM's new body style but I liked the smaller footprint of the steel rail mount hitch. Also, Resse makes a outside frame, rail mount for the RAM that uses existing frame holes so it's a very easy install. I don't mind the rail bump and like the extra bed space the smaller foot print hitch provides. My stuff was available but the delivery truck got delayed in a snow storm. So if the Covid don't get you the weather will. Both trucks, seems its going to be a close thing. The person grabbing the pics for me said it looks good in their opinion but I want to see their "turned" picture. They agreed its a close thing. I ordered the cover but that won't ship for 4-6 weeks & then there's delivery time. My new trailer is still a long way out, too. I traded my cargo van, which was my old TV and helping my daughter move to Austin, so in any case I need a cover to protect her stuff. She wants to put her good stuff in my truck. Also, we have a couple of other trips planned with our current trailer. We are totally spoiled by our van's cargo capacity, but my wife won't drive a larger trailer on bumper-pull with a big cargo van. The RAM with the only about 17 feet of 5.0 trailer behind us is her max comfort level. If the new cover doesn't work out there's a zillion dudes with trucks here that will snap it up and it served a temporary purpose for me. Hoping it works out long term. In any case, I will post the "turned" pic as soon as I see it. Hoping it looks good!
Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 PM   #54

At 39" you definitely have more bed width than I do to play with. I'm not concerned about the tailgate or side bedrail clearance with the bottom of the trailer frame. Your pictures have made it very clear that it should not be a problem even with a 15º yaw of the trailer so that's a relief. Any idea what year the Ford truck is in the pictures?
Good luck with your trips and I'll stay tuned for any new info or pix. Thanks again for all your input. Perhaps we'll meet up on the road someday.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #55

Quote:
At 39" you definitely have more bed width than I do to play with. I'm not concerned about the tailgate or side bedrail clearance with the bottom of the trailer frame. Your pictures have made it very clear that it should not be a problem even with a 15º yaw of the trailer so that's a relief. Any idea what year the Ford truck is in the pictures?
Good luck with your trips and I'll stay tuned for any new info or pix. Thanks again for all your input. Perhaps we'll meet up on the road someday.
It looks new but I can ask. This trailer stuff can be very challenging to say the least. Perhaps an Escape rally is in our mutual futures. Hope to see you in person one day. Stay tuned for the money shot picture I hope to get soon.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Great shot! The Coke can provides a good relative size/distance reference. Trying to remember if you said you had the 5.5' or 6.5' bed length on your truck. Also recalling you have a steel rail-mount Andersen (or am I confusing you with someone else)!? My plan is for installation of the B&W Turnover ball gooseneck with the Andersen attached to that. B&W is dragging their feet a bit as they told me today it will be another week or two before they can take orders for the 2021 F150 hitch. My local installer also informed me that orders are taking 5-6 weeks to ship out due to their order backlog so I'm pushing into the middle or end of June just to have the hitch installed! COVID silver lining: It has apparently been good for some businesses, especially the RV industry and all other associated products. I still have clearance questions on the side rails because my measurements show a 31 inch distance from truck bed center to the inside of side rails (62" across) and the pinbox diagram from ETI shows the center hitch pin to back of pinbox mount at 32". Allowing for the 4" rear offset provided by the Andersen pin adapter should result in a clearance of 3" in a full 90º orientation of trailer to truck bed. But add 2+" of support rail for the RetraxPRO cover makes it a tight fit at best!
Just re-reading this & seems to me the hard part to factor is the degree of the rise angle on the pin box. That's the remaining mystery, as we are measuring more or less straight across from expected pin location in an expected 90 degree turn to the side of the truck bed. I put my Anderson in place with the ball in the lowest position and tried my best to measure from where the pin box will sit over the ball to the side rail, guessing at the pinbox rise angle. That does make a little more edge room depending on how high the pinbox sits over the bed rail & how steep the risk angle actually is. I used a little less than half a coke can...laff. Then moving up the ball a notch, if that's doable, might make a little more room at the edge of the bed. Some of this may not be known until it's attempted but we will see more from the next picture.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #57

Pinbox as seen in a turn.
Attached Thumbnails
received_478480436902335.jpg  
Old 04-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #58

Thanks Jack!!
Still wishing someone had very clear shot from the tailgate side shooting into the truck bed from the side where the pinbox and it's trailer mount are closest with the truck/trailer at 90º and using an Andersen Ultimate Hitch setup. This would show the pinbox and pinbox mount clearance for determining the feasibility of reducing the truck bed width with tonneau cover support rails. So far I still haven't seen that shot in a really clear way and haven't found it anywhere else either.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:04 PM   #59

Quote:
Thanks Jack!!
Still wishing someone had very clear shot from the tailgate side shooting into the truck bed from the side where the pinbox and it's trailer mount are closest with the truck/trailer at 90º and using an Andersen Ultimate Hitch setup. This would show the pinbox and pinbox mount clearance for determining the feasibility of reducing the truck bed width with tonneau cover support rails. So far I still haven't seen that shot in a really clear way and haven't found it anywhere else either.
Ditto on that! It's surprising to me that's such a rarely found picture. I still have that first person who said they would grab a picture for us next time out and about. This picture was from someone I saw posting pictures of their trip in route, so we asked them to grab a turned picture of the pinbox & truck bed side rails, if they could. May not be comfortable doing a tight 90 turn, Better than nothing.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can always be the first........that way you will get it right as well as help others.....