5.0 PU Bed Covers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
5.0 PU Bed Covers

What bed covers work best with a 5.0 & PU 6'4" or 6'5" bed? I want to make sure my bed locks up securely, as losing the Anderson would be a huge mess when out & about, unhooked. Vinyl alone would not work.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jack,
Your truck model needs to be known........
Old 04-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jack,
Your truck model needs to be known........
I have a RAM 1500 6'4" bed but figured the F150 6'5" bed would use a similar bed cover with a 5.0TA. Only an inch difference in length.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
No loss!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
I have a RAM 1500 6'4" bed but figured the F150 6'5" bed would use a similar bed cover with a 5.0TA. Only an inch difference in length.
Hi: Jack... We have a 5'7" bed Ram 4X4 with a tri-fold Ram vinyl cover. Never had thing stolen yet!!! Had a tri-fold vinyl cover on the Fronty 6'1" bed with out a loss as well. They look like the Trifecta covers. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I have a F150 6 1/2' bed with the Ford Trifold hard cover. I really like it but it came with the truck so not sure how much it costs... I have the Andersen hitch (rail version) but waiting on the 5.0 to be built
Old 04-08-2021, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I have a F150 6 1/2' bed with the Ford Trifold hard cover. I really like it but it came with the truck so not sure how much it costs... I have the Andersen hitch (rail version) but waiting on the 5.0 to be built
I'm still waiting on my trailer build as well. I was wondering if a tri-fold cover clears the trailer pinbox and hitch in turns or if a quad-fold or roll up works better.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jack... We have a 5'7" bed Ram 4X4 with a tri-fold Ram vinyl cover. Never had thing stolen yet!!! Had a tri-fold vinyl cover on the Fronty 6'1" bed with out a loss as well. They look like the Trifecta covers. Alf
Out of sight works much of the time...
Old 04-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
This is a real coverup!!!

Quote:
I'm still waiting on my trailer build as well. I was wondering if a tri-fold cover clears the trailer pinbox and hitch in turns or if a quad-fold or roll up works better.
Hi: Jack... We tow with the tri fold cover folded so when we leave the trailer in a CG. we can cover the box while touring. Works for us!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Trifecta

Quote:
What bed covers work best with a 5.0 & PU 6'4" or 6'5" bed? I want to make sure my bed locks up securely, as losing the Anderson would be a huge mess when out & about, unhooked. Vinyl alone would not work.
We have a Trifecta 2.0 on a 2016 F-150 EB with the 6.5' bed. it works perfectly with the 5.0 and hauled our skis up to the slopes today for a fine ski day.
Folded it is at least 6" in front of the ball and extended it is about 4" below the cover.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Out of sight works much of the time...

^ This is my take on it as well. Keeping it covered and the tailgate locked will take care of 99% of the mischief.

I have a tri-fold vinyl cover on my 6 1/2' bed 2014 F150 and we've been on a number of trips with our stuff riding back there under the cover and left it out in many a parking lot unattended without any problems. I always leave the tailgate locked to make it as difficult as possible.

When we finally do get our Andersen, that'll be a while, I will find a way to lock a couple of the pins that hold it down to make it difficult for any would be thief to take off with it.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Andersen Rail Lock

If your worried about theft, there are locks available that lock the Andersen hitch to the rails.

Like this:https://durasafelocks.com/products/f...eel-hitch-lock
or this:https://www.curtmfg.com/part/23256
Old 04-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
We have a Trifecta 2.0 on a 2016 F-150 EB with the 6.5' bed. it works perfectly with the 5.0 and hauled our skis up to the slopes today for a fine ski day.
Folded it is at least 6" in front of the ball and extended it is about 4" below the cover.
Great info... Take away seems to be tri-folds have the room needed for the trailer, as long as the hitch is clear. I have the hitch but not the trailer. Don't want to wait that long to get a cover but wanted to make sure a tri-fold works with the 5.0.

Thanks much!
Old 04-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jack... We tow with the tri fold cover folded so when we leave the trailer in a CG. we can cover the box while touring. Works for us!!! Alf
Thanks much for confirming!!
Old 04-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
If your worried about theft, there are locks available that lock the Andersen hitch to the rails.

Not all Andersen hitches are mounted on rails. The aluminum Andersen Ultimate mounts to a gooseneck ball.

Quote:
Tonneau covers or bed covers take up space and add weight which is of concern with some vehicles and their low cargo capacity. If you have the Andersen rail mount, the locks quoted above will sufficiently secure it. If you have the Andersen gooseneck ball mount, why not secure it with a cable lock, either to a cargo tie down point in the truck or around a tree or the trailer’s landing gear when set up. Of course, if you have a massive cargo capacity, I retract my suggestion.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
I too have a Trifecta fabric trifold cover on my 6.5 bed and like someone else said out of sight out of mind. If you really are nervous (not sure where you hang out) run a cable lock through the hitch and to the rail or tie down and lock it there. That is what I do with my generator. The cover works great BTW.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Tabs for 5th wheel lock

Quote:

We use 2 of these diagonally placed on the rails. With stout combo locks they work well. But we got them on Amazon. Could not find them there this morning. Least expensive solution.

https://www.crofttrailer.com/58093-5...ates-kit-of-4/
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #17

Quote:

I'll likely use the pin locks as well, but will have other gear in the bed around the 5th wheel. I've got a 6.4 bed so there's extra room available. It will be a nice storage spot once secured and everything out of sight.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Tonneau covers or bed covers take up space and add weight which is of concern with some vehicles and their low cargo capacity. If you have the Andersen rail mount, the locks quoted above will sufficiently secure it. If you have the Andersen gooseneck ball mount, why not secure it with a cable lock, either to a cargo tie down point in the truck or around a tree or the trailer’s landing gear when set up. Of course, if you have a massive cargo capacity, I retract my suggestion.
Good info.... Fortunately, my truck has plenty of payload to work with and can handle the trailer, gear, people, plus a cover without any real concerns. I had a plan when I picked my truck. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have the vinyl cover too. of course it could be cut but out of sight is helpful and most covers can be broken into. i like it because its light and less expensive.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I looked hard into tonneau covers in 2015, and after perusing lots and lots of reviews decided to go with a Fold-A-Cover with their tool caddy. This very strongly built and easy to use cover has worked great, and is still doing so. The caddy holds all my tools and a bunch of campsite tools, like an axe, rake, etc. It also hangs with about 6" of clearance to the bed, which allows longer items to be stowed in the bed. You can open the tailgate when it is locked. I would buy it again if needed, for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote