5.0 TA, need to smooth the ride - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 01:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA Escape
Send a message via MSN to bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com Send a message via Yahoo to bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com
5.0 TA, need to smooth the ride

I have a 2018 5.0 TA pulling with 2014 Ram 1500. I tow with a B&W turn over ball with companion 5th wheel plate. I experienced some bucking but chocked it up to reaction from my suspension type. I experimented with a gooseneck adaptor to see if it made a difference. There was no change even after exhaustive height adjustments.. Seems that rough road bouncing translates to forward and aft bucking with my swing axle suspension. I'm thinking of installing the Reese goose box air ride to help smooth the ride. Does anyone here have experience with this issue and will a solid goose box replacement help my concern?
bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Scott,
to our Escape world. Please update your avatar to reflect your Escape model and year. I too have a 2014 Ram 1500, but tow an E21 which is not a 5th wheel model. That said I installed air bags inside the rear coil suspension to eliminate squat. A weight distribution hitch should help with bucking on rough roads, not sure with a 5th set up but I'm sure someone else will chime in. Glad you are a member of "our Escape family".....
Old 06-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
"Ridem cowboy"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com View Post
I have a 2018 5.0 TA pulling with 2014 Ram 1500. I tow with a B&W turn over ball with companion 5th wheel plate. I experienced some bucking but chocked it up to reaction from my suspension type. I experimented with a gooseneck adaptor to see if it made a difference. There was no change even after exhaustive height adjustments.. Seems that rough road bouncing translates to forward and aft bucking with my swing axle suspension. I'm thinking of installing the Reese goose box air ride to help smooth the ride. Does anyone here have experience with this issue and will a solid goose box replacement help my concern?
Hi: bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com... That`s a handfull. I too have the airbags in the rear coils, but I find it smoother towing with a full tank of fresh water. The water weight in the back lifts some from the pin and smoothes it out a lot. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com Send a message via Yahoo to bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com
Thank you. I updated my information. A weight distribution and leveling bags a must with bumper tows. I have air suspension on my truck and love it.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #5

I agree, towing with added weight helps smooth the ride. I like my gooseneck connection but concerned the adaptor is adding to the bucking and is why I'm thinking the goose box will help.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Scott: Have you seen this thread? Maybe something here will help.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...mbo-15164.html
Old 06-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com View Post
I have a 2018 5.0 TA pulling with 2014 Ram 1500.
I experienced some bucking but chocked it up to reaction from my suspension type.
Seems that rough road bouncing translates to forward and aft bucking with my swing axle suspension.
I don't know what you think a swing-axle suspension is, but you don't have one. The 2014 Ram 1500 has a beam axle with control arms, and either coil springs or air springs. It is very suitable for towing; the only concern might be that it may be sprung too softly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:14 AM   #8

Yes you are correct, my mistake. I have air suspension. Not sure if my control arms may be causing the concern. The truck is very capable but still having concern. I have gone between the companion 5th wheel and gooseneck with the same results. I have towed the trailer in several configurations and have achieved the closest level the system allows. I have contemplated adding shocks to the trailer but thinking the Reese air ride might be a better option. It would be nice to eliminate the occasional chucking and maybe reduce the tossing of items in my cabinets.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 AM   #9

Yes, read it. The information inspired me to check level in my trailer. Wound up raising my box 2-1/2" to lower my trailer to level making for a better ride. My concern now is the occasional bucking. I' considered adding shocks to my trailer but thinking an air ride goose box may be a better way to address my concern.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:00 AM   #10

Perhaps it is your air suspension that is out of whack? Have you had the dealer check to determine it is operating correctly? I know several owners here were told that the air suspension made the installation of the 5th wheel hitch almost impossible...possibly there is your issue?
Old 07-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps it is your air suspension that is out of whack? Have you had the dealer check to determine it is operating correctly?
All the system has to do is put an appropriate amount of air in the springs. If the truck rides level, it has the right amount of air; if the system is pumping air into and out of the springs with every bump, it isn't causing bucking problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I know several owners here were told that the air suspension made the installation of the 5th wheel hitch almost impossible...possibly there is your issue?
That has nothing to do with the operation of the suspension, and the resulting ride - it's just that some of the components which supply air to the springs are in the way of the mounting bracket for some hitches.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:49 PM   #12

Thanks Scott.............
Old 07-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #13

Interesting conversation about the air suspension. All is working good. I did have difficulty finding a gooseneck system for my truck due to the suspension type. The installer found the right system and did a great installation. I will research to see if the ride height adjustment that occurs during travel might be causing some concern. Can't imagine a couple inches in ride height would make a difference during travel. It would be helpful to know if someone out there has experience with using a gooseneck adaptor or goose box. Not the Anderson ultimate setup as this is a different system. Thanks much!