5.0 Tow vehicles? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i kinda worried obsessively about what truck to buy but everything works great. i did not get the high lift axle but i thought about it. i was worried that my 4 wheel drive F 150 might be too high but it was fine -I measured it and it was with in the specs. i was worried that a short bed would interfere during sharp turns no problem. i was worried that a 2.7 would not be enough power- no issues even over mountains. i worried about the hitch- love the Anderson. Easy to hitch up . My Payload is sufficient but i do have to be careful. All in All I'm happy. I asked a lot of questions both on this forum , Escape, Trademaster, Ford , Anderson etc.....got a lot of good advice
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i kinda worried obsessively about what truck to buy but everything works great. i did not get the high lift axle but i thought about it. i was worried that my 4 wheel drive F 150 might be too high but it was fine -I measured it and it was with in the specs. i was worried that a short bed would interfere during sharp turns no problem. i was worried that a 2.7 would not be enough power- no issues even over mountains. i worried about the hitch- love the Anderson. Easy to hitch up . My Payload is sufficient but i do have to be careful. All in All I'm happy. I asked a lot of questions both on this forum , Escape, Trademaster, Ford , Anderson etc.....got a lot of good advice
You might need a cocktail Kate, to calm yourself after all that worry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
oh yea first addition to my trailer was wine storage !
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Bed rail height is not an issue, the growing size of the 1/2T trucks is part of the reason ETI went to the 5.0TA. They ask your bed rail height and adjust the trailer accordingly during the build.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
They ask your bed rail height and adjust the trailer accordingly during the build.
They can adjust the pin box (only two settings) to suit the fifth-wheel height, but that doesn't address the box side height. For 2014/2015 5.0TA's they used to adjust the suspension (between at least two heights just over 4" apart), but with a change from leaf springs on beam axles to Torflex suspension, that is no longer possible. Now the factory (or an owner, later) can install an optional spacer (the "high lift axle") to raise the trailer 2.6" from the standard height if appropriate... but that should be determined before the build sheet is finalized so the spacer can be included if it is needed.

So it isn't really an adjustment any more, but different truck heights can be accommodated, within a reasonable range.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
F-150, 5.0 SA w/no lift kit, but they live in MT and are off-road a lot.

I just wanted to put the issue on the table so nothing is missed.
(Our bumper-pull 17 goes Everywhere we want!).
🤔If you look at post #2 you can see all the room between truck and trailer. The trailer has standard axle. The wall height on my truck is 56” . I’ve gone over a couple of rough back roads that had pretty steep grades and so far not a scratch.
Now if you had a 3/4 or bigger truck you may very well run into a few problems.😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
��If you look at post #2 you can see all the room between truck and trailer. The trailer has standard axle. The wall height on my truck is 56” . I’ve gone over a couple of rough back roads that had pretty steep grades and so far not a scratch.
Now if you had a 3/4 or bigger truck you may very well run into a few problems.��
I have the same setup, no lifted axle, 56" rail height, and have bone over lots of undulating off road places. I did watch closely in a few spots, and though it did come a lot closer (to within about 3" from 6"), I never had a conflict.

Of course a lifted axle will give you more clearance, but I feel is not needed for rail clearance. I had thought maybe because I mounted my tire underneath I might want to, but it seems to be fine as it is no lower than the axles.

Am I the only one that thinks that calling it a High Lift Axle is a bit of a misnomer, as it is actually a Lift Kit, which in effect raises the trailer, as the axle stays in the same height. Just a wee musing this morning with a nice clear mind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Speaking of am musing Jim, your picture appears to reflect a somewhat rear lower than the front truck set up? Perhaps moving the hitch a little forward?
Old 04-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Speaking of am musing Jim, your picture appears to reflect a somewhat rear lower than the front truck set up? Perhaps moving the hitch a little forward?
Not following this? The truck sits very nice with the trailer attached. Of course the pin weight lowers the rear of the truck a bit, this is normal and unavoidable. I have carried cargo when not towing that lowers it even more. Besides, there is no way to "move" the hitch. As it is you need a perfect alignment to open the tailgate when hitched.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
From my viewpoint in Wisconsin , the truck appears to be sitting fairly level , Their seems to be a dip in the pavement that causes a false illusion .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #31

Trailer: 2000
Does appear to be sagging in the rear. Must be the picture.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
From my viewpoint in Wisconsin , the truck appears to be sitting fairly level , Their seems to be a dip in the pavement that causes a false illusion .
That could be maybe what Jim sees. Could be that the truck is turned to the right a bit too. How about a couple more shots from the same day, when we picked it up, one clean and new, and one after a few hours of mountain driving in January.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: cpaharley2008... Seems it's on a little tilt to me too. Must have been shot before the taker or the "Booze" got loaded!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #34

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
I thought so too, Jim. Then I leveled the roof of the building behind, and the truck/trailer leveled too.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
I thought so too, Jim. Then I leveled the roof of the building behind, and the truck/trailer leveled too.
Okay, okay, a bit more post processing was needed in the photo. I get it.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Okay, okay, a bit more post processing was needed in the photo. I get it.
🤔
Obviously your front tires are too big 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
So Jim does your truck still look like those pics with the snow tires or is winter finally over in Calgary? We had awful weather in southern ON, had to leave the trailer near Ottawa covered in snow and ice (and salt from the PA mountains), was great to get home Thursday to nice weather, going to hit 19C today! I'll have to get my snows off this week before heading to Spokane the week after.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
So Jim does your truck still look like those pics with the snow tires or is winter finally over in Calgary? We had awful weather in southern ON, had to leave the trailer near Ottawa covered in snow and ice (and salt from the PA mountains), was great to get home Thursday to nice weather, going to hit 19C today! I'll have to get my snows off this week before heading the Spokane the week after.

Adrian
The winter tires are still on, though will swap them out soon. It really seemed like spring is finally here. Lots of snow to melt yet.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Am I the only one that thinks that calling it a High Lift Axle is a bit of a misnomer, as it is actually a Lift Kit, which in effect raises the trailer, as the axle stays in the same height.
No, you're not.
I think the "high lift axle" terminology is left over from long ago when Escape offered the Torflex suspension with two different arm angles, the one angling down more being the "high lift axle". The current offering is a lift kit or spacer kit.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #40

Quote:
... Jim, your picture appears to reflect a somewhat rear lower than the front truck set up?
So Jim Bennett's setup is fine (as expected) and this was just an artifact of photo perspective, which is a common problem. I find it easiest to just look at the trailer suspension ride height - as indicated by the tire to body clearance or hub to frame relationship depending on what is visible - in a view as close as possible to directly to the side of the trailer. As long as the two axle suspensions are compressed the same amount, the trailer is sitting level.