5.0 towing - how far 'off level'? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question 5.0 towing - how far 'off level'?

The Escape 5.0 Towing Compatibility Guidelines state on pages 2 and 3:

The "trailer can be safely run within 1" of level as measured from belly-band to ground."

I'm assuming that's at the most forward end of the 'belly-band', at the front of the bedroom loft nearest the kingpin (please comment if you suggest different!). Also taking it as a given that we do that measurement when all hitched and loaded for travel, parked on level pavement.

Obviously different truck/hitch combinations afford different height adjustment ranges and increments. So the question for those of real-world experience with this trailer ....
  • Do you run with the trailer nose-low at all, or is that a bright-line you avoid?
  • How many inches nose-high do you allow before you start looking at adjusting things to bring down the nose of the trailer?
The question goes to ensuring that the particular combination of hitch (with it's adjustment range), lift kit (or not), and pinbox configuration will work well for my particular truck insofar as the attitude (level-ness) of the trailer.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I'm sure ETI's recommendation is based on most hitches having several height adjustments, usually 1-1/2" or so apart, so you can make general adjustments but not necessarily fine tune it - it should be possible to get within <1" of level for just about any hitch.

Spot-on would be ideal, and mine just happened to work out that way, but if I had to choose between slightly nose high or nose low I'd go nose low. A nose high setup could lend itself to more bouncing/bucking. A nose low setup would put more weight on the hitch, but as long as you have plenty of payload capacity that shouldn't matter.

You won't know for sure exactly how much your truck will settle until you hitch up a fully loaded trailer so it's hard to be super precise in advance, but if you know the overall measurements of your truck, hitch and trailer you can guesstimate how much your truck will settle and come pretty close - when I hitched up the first time with what I thought would be the correct hitch height setting, the trailer was very level and my height was within 1/4" of what I had calculated.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I'm sure ETI's recommendation is based on most hitches having several height adjustments, usually 1-1/2" or so apart, so you can make general adjustments but not necessarily fine tune it - it should be possible to get within <1" of level for just about any hitch.

Spot-on would be ideal, and mine just happened to work out that way, but if I had to choose between slightly nose high or nose low I'd go nose low. A nose high setup could lend itself to more bouncing/bucking. A nose low setup would put more weight on the hitch, but as long as you have plenty of payload capacity that shouldn't matter.

You won't know for sure exactly how much your truck will settle until you hitch up a fully loaded trailer so it's hard to be super precise in advance, but if you know the overall measurements of your truck, hitch and trailer you can guesstimate how much your truck will settle and come pretty close - when I hitched up the first time with what I thought would be the correct hitch height setting, the trailer was very level and my height was within 1/4" of what I had calculated.
Hi: davidmurphy02... When we picked up our 5.0TA the closest we could get it was 1/2" nose low. When we got home the truck needed new tires and the combo came out spot on!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140603_134109.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
We run about a half an inch nose high to pretty level depending on how the truck and trailer is loaded.

This is with the pin box raised one hole from the stock position. Our bed rail height is 58” giving us around 7” of clearance. The trailer has the high lift option, with the early leaf spring suspension.

I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Of course, everyone with a 5.0 tends to walk around a little "nose high" just from pride....
Old 01-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
AMEN David ... so proud
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I thought the rule was never low but slightly high was ok ? But maybe I got it wrong or maybe that's for a bumper pull not a fifth wheel. Mine is slightly high maybe half inch - but really pretty level.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I agree. If you can get within one inch over the whole length of the trailer, you are doing very well - you certainly don't need to be closer, and it probably won't be physically possible to get closer given the adjustment increments of the pin box and hitch.

Quote:
That's backwards for a tandem-axle trailer: lowering the nose of a tandem will reduce the hitch weight, which is a reflection of load transferring from the trailer's trailing axle to the trailer's leading axle, moving the effective axle centre forward. This is bad for stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I thought the rule was never low but slightly high was ok ? But maybe I got it wrong or maybe that's for a bumper pull not a fifth wheel.
That's correct. There is no difference in this respect between a "bumper pull" and a trailer hitched over the truck's bed (whether fifth-wheel or ball hitch).

With a tandem, you want level or slightly nose-high; with a single-axle trailer, you want level or slightly nose-low. Either way the idea is to vary from level only in the direction of higher hitch load.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Long term love

Quote:
Of course, everyone with a 5.0 tends to walk around a little "nose high" just from pride....
Right on David, after six and half years of ownership we still love the 5.0 TA.

This last summer we looked long and hard at the Winnie Navion and the Lazy Daze 27 mid bath Class C’s and the realization that the 5.0 is still the best fit for us.

I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote