5.0 towing with ford ranger - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #61

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...nger_Oct15.pdf
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:52 AM   #62

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
1860lbs payload depending on how equipped and 310 ft lbs of torque at 3000 RPM for the 2019+ Rangers. I don’t see why not. The hard part will be finding a hitch you like for your nerds.
I had a 2019 Tundra 4.6L. All the numbers looked right, 310hp, 325lb-ft , 1500lbs payload, tow cap 6500lbs. It did not tow the E19 well at all. The gearing was not right, revved to high in fourth, wouldn't hold 5th on a slight incline, full economy was horrible and trans ran hot. I thought it would do better than the 4Runner, I was wrong, I traded it on a 2017 Tundra 5.7L and it tows it without effort.

To tow anything 19 and bigger, get a full size truck. Many users here on the forum have started off with a mid size but eventually end up with a full size truck. Besides your safety, it's much more comfortable on a long days drive.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:58 AM   #63

Old 07-01-2021, 06:15 AM   #64

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
To tow anything 19 and bigger, get a full size truck. Many users here on the forum have started off with a mid size but eventually end up with a full size truck. Besides your safety, it's much more comfortable on a long days drive.
I tend to agree with this philosophy, the less tired you are, the safer you become.....
Old 07-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #65

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Ranger is pretty capable of towing Escapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3 View Post
My only hesitation with a ranger is that it is too close to the size and cost of an F150. There doesn’t seem to be much advantage in picking the smaller truck unless there a specific thing it can do better for you than the F150, like fit in your garage. Or appease your desire not to own a big truck.
I just priced a Ranger Supercab and F-150 Supercab on the Ford website, both with the smallest Ecoboost engine and the 10 speed transmission. Similary equipped, the cost difference was $12,000 ($31,455 vs $43,685). That's 39% of the cost of my new Escape!
The F-150 is 21" longer than the Ranger. The Ranger has 5 lbs more standard payload than the F-150 (although you can get optional payload packages on the F-150).
The new Ranger is not the same itty bitty Ranger that many are used to.
I prefer the size of the Ranger compared to the F-150, it fits in my garage with 33" to spare (I would have to remove my storage racks for the F-150 to fit) and is more maneuverable in parking lots.
F-150 and other full size trucks are fine for those that want or need the extra space and capacity but the Ranger is a pretty darn capable truck. It pulls our 19' Escape (which is probably less aerodynamic than the 5.0) effortlessly compared to our Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8, taking advantage of the same 10 speed transmission that the F-150 has. I had my concerns at first about using a 4 cyl truck for a 5,000 GVWR trailer, but I am happy with our Ranger after over 20,000 miles.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I just priced a Ranger Supercab and F-150 Supercab on the Ford website, both with the smallest Ecoboost engine and the 10 speed transmission. Similary equipped, the cost difference was $12,000 ($31,455 vs $43,685). That's 39% of the cost of my new Escape!
The F-150 is 21" longer than the Ranger. The Ranger has 5 lbs more standard payload than the F-150 (although you can get optional payload packages on the F-150).
I prefer the size of the Ranger compared to the F-150, it fits in my garage with 33" to spare (I would have to remove my storage racks for the F-150 to fit) and is more maneuverable in parking lots.
F-150 and other full size trucks are fine for those that want or need the extra space and capacity but the Ranger is a pretty darn capable truck. It pulls our 19' Escape (which is probably less aerodynamic than the 5.0) effortlessly compared to our Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8, taking advantage of the same 10 speed transmission that the F-150 has. I had my concerns at first about using a 4 cyl truck for a 5,000 GVWR trailer, but I am happy with our Ranger after over 20,000 miles.
Thanks for your comments, sounds like a good tow vehicle.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #67

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
One difference between the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon that might explain some of the difference in opinions about them: wheelbase. They have about the same standard wheelbase, and so the buyer can make the same tradeoff of cab length for box length, such choosing the shorter SuperCab to get the longer box for cab-to-axle space as Tom mentioned. The difference is that the Colorado/Canyon is also available with a longer wheelbase allowing for the longer (crew) cab and longer (~6') box at the same time... and longer wheelbase is also better for towing stability.
Yes, theoretical better towing stability but also larger turning circle and more difficult backing. I will say our combo is not the least bit squirelly, in fact on RT 16 in VA there were numerous tandem axle dumps going the opposite direction, most staying on their side, difficult given the twisty nature of the road. But, twice I had to do a quick evasive maneuver with trailer in tow when I met one more on my side than he should have been. The trailer acts as one with the truck. Combo is super stable.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I tend to agree with this philosophy, the less tired you are, the safer you become.....
I do agree with this philosophy to a large degree, as I could drive my Kenworth further than any other vehicle I owned without getting overly tired, but the Ranger does fit in the garage and does not feel "small" except to my wife who likes the size better than the 450 we had and is more comfortable driving it. I do not notice any difference between the two vehicles except for the fact my back likes the Ranger better, and the 450 had air suspension.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:22 PM   #69

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
When I bought my f150 off the lot you could get $10k off sticker if you weren’t too picky about options. The rangers were moving much closer to sticker price. So the savings really weren’t there. Now, I guess you’re lucky to find something to buy at all.

Also, we were planning a long trip with nearly adult kids in the back seat, so that extra room was important.

But for your use the ranger seems a much better fit. I’m glad it is working out for you.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #70

Trailer: 2021 21c
I just towed our new 21c with my 2020 Ranger, it performed great. Plenty of power the 10 speed tranny
Was smooth and I got 16.5 mpg towing it over the North Cascade hwy. The trailer weighed about 4500 loaded and it wasn’t a problem. Probably depends on what bed configuration you have more than anything,
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akfishman View Post
I just towed our new 21c with my 2020 Ranger, it performed great. Plenty of power the 10 speed tranny
Was smooth and I got 16.5 mpg towing it over the North Cascade hwy. The trailer weighed about 4500 loaded and it wasn’t a problem. Probably depends on what bed configuration you have more than anything,
Congratulations on the new Escape! You will love it, and BTW, we are in SW Fort Collins. The Fort is home to at least two additional Escapees. Maybe we should plan our own rally?

And good news about your Ranger. It’s my number one choice when it comes time to replace our Highlander.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #72

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
Yes, theoretical better towing stability but also larger turning circle and more difficult backing. I will say our combo is not the least bit squirelly... Combo is super stable.
All valid. There's no single "correct" choice for everyone.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #73

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith3 View Post
When I bought my f150 off the lot you could get $10k off sticker if you weren’t too picky about options. The rangers were moving much closer to sticker price. So the savings really weren’t there. Now, I guess you’re lucky to find something to buy at all.
Availability is certainly an issue. While a base-trim Ranger 4X2 is very moderately priced, we can't get the 4X2 in Canada (almost everyone buys 4X4 anyway) and the first Ranger that appeared at a local dealership was a SuperCrew Lariat... with no more reasonable variants expected to follow it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:26 PM   #74

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
When I ordered this spring the Ranger XLT was about 8k USD under a basic 2.7 F150.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #75

More towing experience

A bit more of our towing with our Ranger/5.0TA. Before we left I measured how much the trailer's pin weight affected the truck. With our normal gear and full LP tanks the deflection measured at the receiver was one and a quarter inches. When starting out (slight grade after exiting driveway) I had the same impression as before, do I really have a trailer in tow? In the mountains of Virginia headed towards the highest peak our speed was limited only by the nature of the road, not any lack of power. This truck has torque. A very willing performer, you do not have to push it. Our mileage going out was barely 14 mpg, coming back 15.8, a small amount of solo on that leg.

This is our seventh trailer and the 5th 5th wheel. A number of tow vehicles including a 1967 F350 I built a 390 that would outclimb any other towed combination. Another favorite was our '98 Dodge standard shift, diesel, great mileage, towing or not. Speaking of standard shift. a couple tent camping next to us had a Tacoma, he was super interested in the Ranger until he asked about the availability of standard shift. He has always had standard, so the Ranger was no go. This reminds me of a facebook post of a Jeep with a spare tire cover with a shift pattern and the words "millenial theft deterrant.", which I thought was a riot! Have a good Fourth!
Old 07-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #76

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I have an F150 3.5 with a tow package which had the 36 gallon fuel tank. A couple of months ago in Guadalupe Natl Park a gentleman pulling a small trailer was going around asking if any one has some fuel he could purchase. He said he did not realize it was so far between stations in West Texas and he only had a 200 mile range. He said nearest station was White City and he was not sure he could make it.
He had a small pickup truck.
All of that being said, I wish I had the 50 gallon of the F350. Lol. I give a crap about weight.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:36 PM   #77

The negative

Quote:
A bit more of our towing with our Ranger/5.0TA. Before we left I measured how much the trailer's pin weight affected the truck. With our normal gear and full LP tanks the deflection measured at the receiver was one and a quarter inches. When starting out (slight grade after exiting driveway) I had the same impression as before, do I really have a trailer in tow? In the mountains of Virginia headed towards the highest peak our speed was limited only by the nature of the road, not any lack of power. This truck has torque. A very willing performer, you do not have to push it. Our mileage going out was barely 14 mpg, coming back 15.8, a small amount of solo on that leg.

This is our seventh trailer and the 5th 5th wheel. A number of tow vehicles including a 1967 F350 I built a 390 that would outclimb any other towed combination. Another favorite was our '98 Dodge standard shift, diesel, great mileage, towing or not. Speaking of standard shift. a couple tent camping next to us had a Tacoma, he was super interested in the Ranger until he asked about the availability of standard shift. He has always had standard, so the Ranger was no go. This reminds me of a facebook post of a Jeep with a spare tire cover with a shift pattern and the words "millenial theft deterrant.", which I thought was a riot! Have a good Fourth!
I do have some criticism, which in my self assessment I am qualified to do, I tend to be critical of most vehicles. When I was an older teenager I would go with a buddy to a dealership when the new models came in and make the uninformed salesman squirm. Our fun ended when we met our match. Anyway, The Ranger. I feel the lug the engine a bit much, even in Tow/Haul. If the lever is pulled into S (Sport), it will drop down two gears. The opposite happens when descending a grade, it drops down too many gears and hangs there too long when the grade levels out. It seems to be programmed for a heavier trailer. I upshift manually which will then maintain a constant speed down the grade without using the brakes. Lots of opportunity to do this in the Virginia mountains. You can program the trailer length which I thought may translate into vehicle weight, but in reading the manual. only seems to affect BLIS. Would it be nice if you could program trailer weight? Regarding the manual, terrible in my estimation, it deserves a separate posting. One positive I did not mention previously, it is definitely one of the quietest vehicles we have ever owned.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #78

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
I do have some criticism, which in my self assessment I am qualified to do, I tend to be critical of most vehicles. When I was an older teenager I would go with a buddy to a dealership when the new models came in and make the uninformed salesman squirm. Our fun ended when we met our match. Anyway, The Ranger. I feel the lug the engine a bit much, even in Tow/Haul. If the lever is pulled into S (Sport), it will drop down two gears. The opposite happens when descending a grade, it drops down too many gears and hangs there too long when the grade levels out. It seems to be programmed for a heavier trailer. I upshift manually which will then maintain a constant speed down the grade without using the brakes. Lots of opportunity to do this in the Virginia mountains. You can program the trailer length which I thought may translate into vehicle weight, but in reading the manual. only seems to affect BLIS. Would it be nice if you could program trailer weight? Regarding the manual, terrible in my estimation, it deserves a separate posting. One positive I did not mention previously, it is definitely one of the quietest vehicles we have ever owned.
Thank you for the very informative posts! We have a 2020 Ranger Supercab 4x4 and had only considered the towed vehicles, thinking a 5th wheel is just for big trucks. Now I've got to decide if we put the 5.0 on the table.

Can you explain the difference in towing a 5th wheel vs. a trailer? I've heard it's easier. What about getting into small campgrounds? Does the length affect the ability to get into some national parks with length restrictions? Any other info that would be helpful for someone whose never towed a 5th wheel?
Thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #79

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Well, the overall length of a 5th vs pull behind is less so any limits would be erased....
Old 07-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #80

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Thank you for the very informative posts! We have a 2020 Ranger Supercab 4x4 and had only considered the towed vehicles, thinking a 5th wheel is just for big trucks. Now I've got to decide if we put the 5.0 on the table.

Can you explain the difference in towing a 5th wheel vs. a trailer? I've heard it's easier. What about getting into small campgrounds? Does the length affect the ability to get into some national parks with length restrictions? Any other info that would be helpful for someone whose never towed a 5th wheel?
Thanks!
Since the tongue/pin weight of a fifth wheel is on the hitch that is mounted directly (or close to it) over the rear axle it is inherently more stable than a bumper pull trailer where the weight of the tongue is at the back bumper. Because of this there is no need for weight distributing hitches or antis way bars. And because of the overlap with the truck bed, the 5.0 extends the same length behind our truck as an Escape 17 trailer, which makes it easier (or in some cases possible) to get into small campsites.

The biggest issue with your Ranger would be payload - do you know what that is for your truck? There will be a sticker on the drivers door frame. Another potential issue is getting a fifth wheel hitch mounted - that's very rare for pickups smaller than standard half tons so likely there is not a custom rail mounting kit for that truck and it would require a special custom installation. Others may have done that and could advise you on that possibility.