5.0 towing with ford ranger - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Jim and David are correct. I did answer your PM. I would have no worries about parking in any RV spot with a 5.0, in fact the advantage is you would likely be able to get into a spot others may not be able to. Actually, the same is true of any Escape trailer as they are not that big. I am not here to advocate a 5.0 over a tow behind. Lots to consider here. Maybe you could locate an ambassador for each style which may help. It is also fun to tour campgrounds and see the great variety of rigs. On our last camping trip we saw everything from well designed tents to tent units on top of a vehicle that required a ladder to others hard to describe!
Old 08-17-2021, 07:59 AM   #82

Trailer: 2019 Independence
Hi, I am reading this forum to get ideas about TV's. We have the 5.0 in mind and just bought a new 2021 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road. Do you think the Colorado is enough for towing the 5.0 TIA.
kswiszowski55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #83

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
What is the towing rating of your vehicle? What is the bed length?
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #84

chevy colorad tow

The bed length is a short box. 61.70 inches. Towing capacity 7000 lbs. 3.6L DOHC V6 engine308 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque. Max payload 1550lbs.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #85

The bed length is a short box. 61.70 inches. Towing capacity 7000 lbs. 3.6L DOHC V6 engine308 horsepower and 275 pound-feet of torque. Max payload 1550lbs.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #86

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswiszowski55 View Post
Hi, I am reading this forum to get ideas about TV's. We have the 5.0 in mind and just bought a new 2021 Chevy Colorado Z71 Off Road. Do you think the Colorado is enough for towing the 5.0 TIA.
Hi: kswiszowski55... We towed an '07 5.0 then a '14 5.0TA with a 2010 4L V6 longbox (6'1") Nissan Frontier. I was on my way to look at a 2.8L 4 cyl GMC Canyon Diesel but bumped into a used Ram 3L EcoDiesel 5'7" box for half the price w/ warranty. We used the same hitch but put in Ram box rails rather than swaping the universal ones.
Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050326.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:44 AM   #87

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #88

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
The previous owner of our 5.0 used a Colorado (gas) and said it worked quite well. No personal experience, though.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:33 AM   #89

Great, thanks, I think it'll work. Now on to find a 5.0. LOL
Old 08-19-2021, 02:45 PM   #90

Trailer: Escape 5
Real bummer the new Maverick doesn't quite look up to snuff in the towing capacity department. Real attractive price point, crew cab design, and MPGs...

https://shop.ford.com/configure/mave.../customize/xlt
OSUMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:00 PM   #91

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUMatthew View Post
Real bummer the new Maverick doesn't quite look up to snuff in the towing capacity department. Real attractive price point, crew cab design, and MPGs...

https://shop.ford.com/configure/mave.../customize/xlt
The Maverick is way short of being able to handle a 5.0, just as the Escape (which is the same base vehicle with a different body) is way short of handling an Escape 21.

The Maverick, with the most capable towing configuration and the corresponding 4,000 pound max trailer rating, might be a good workable choice for an Escape 17'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #92

Trailer: just sold 2004 motor home... looking to buy newer
Topper Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer500 View Post
Yes that is a factor,I know I wish my Tundra had a bigger tank [they like gas!] but it also makes me stop more often to get out and stretch.I would HUGELY miss my topper with the 3 operative doors for keeping things safe and out of the weather.
May I ask what topper you have? I'm looking around for one.
txmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:50 PM   #93

Trailer: 2023 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
Brian, As usual, points well made and plainly stated. I will say we have plenty of cab clearance, but also the hitch is further back than I have traditionally advocated, however, the pin weight barely sets the truck down (I will have to measure it) and handling is just superb, no bad habits at all.

Tom
Hi Tom,

How low is your Ranger's tailgate (to ground) when 5.0TA is loaded on truck bed? I am trying to decide if I can have body lift option for 5.0TA. Thanks.
jkuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:14 PM   #94

Quote:
A bit more of our towing with our Ranger/5.0TA. Before we left I measured how much the trailer's pin weight affected the truck. With our normal gear and full LP tanks the deflection measured at the receiver was one and a quarter inches. When starting out (slight grade after exiting driveway) I had the same impression as before, do I really have a trailer in tow? In the mountains of Virginia headed towards the highest peak our speed was limited only by the nature of the road, not any lack of power. This truck has torque. A very willing performer, you do not have to push it. Our mileage going out was barely 14 mpg, coming back 15.8, a small amount of solo on that leg.

This is our seventh trailer and the 5th 5th wheel. A number of tow vehicles including a 1967 F350 I built a 390 that would outclimb any other towed combination. Another favorite was our '98 Dodge standard shift, diesel, great mileage, towing or not. Speaking of standard shift. a couple tent camping next to us had a Tacoma, he was super interested in the Ranger until he asked about the availability of standard shift. He has always had standard, so the Ranger was no go. This reminds me of a facebook post of a Jeep with a spare tire cover with a shift pattern and the words "millenial theft deterrant.", which I thought was a riot! Have a good Fourth!
Hi Tom,

It seems that the deflection of 1.25" is low when trailer is loaded. According to Ford, and the back end of Ranger drops by 5" when loaded vs. empty for a standard/base model (no option).

Did you have off road option (or other modifications that stiffened your suspension) for your Ranger?
Old 11-06-2022, 11:27 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Thank you for the very informative posts! We have a 2020 Ranger Supercab 4x4 and had only considered the towed vehicles, thinking a 5th wheel is just for big trucks. Now I've got to decide if we put the 5.0 on the table.

Can you explain the difference in towing a 5th wheel vs. a trailer? I've heard it's easier. What about getting into small campgrounds? Does the length affect the ability to get into some national parks with length restrictions? Any other info that would be helpful for someone whose never towed a 5th wheel?
Thanks!
Hi AuthorSP,

Have you got your 5.0? Did you get the body lift option for 5.0?

Thanks,
Old 11-07-2022, 06:25 AM   #96

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuang View Post
Hi AuthorSP,

Thanks,
We are still waiting for our turn. Hopefully begin configuring early next year.
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:00 PM   #97

Quote:
Hi Tom,

It seems that the deflection of 1.25" is low when trailer is loaded. According to Ford, and the back end of Ranger drops by 5" when loaded vs. empty for a standard/base model (no option).

Did you have off road option (or other modifications that stiffened your suspension) for your Ranger?
It has been quite some time since I took that measurement. However, without divulging to wife this question, I asked her how much the 5th wheel set the truck down. She replied "hardly at all". I remembered about 1 1/2". I cannot imagine any reasonable load setting truck down 5"! I have no modifications at all to the suspension, none were required.
Tom
Old 11-07-2022, 09:05 PM   #98

Quote:
Hi Tom,

How low is your Ranger's tailgate (to ground) when 5.0TA is loaded on truck bed? I am trying to decide if I can have body lift option for 5.0TA. Thanks.
Rig has been put away for winter. so I cannot measure, but based on my experience, you have no worries at all.
Tom
Old 11-07-2022, 09:38 PM   #99

Quote:
It has been quite some time since I took that measurement. However, without divulging to wife this question, I asked her how much the 5th wheel set the truck down. She replied "hardly at all". I remembered about 1 1/2". I cannot imagine any reasonable load setting truck down 5"! I have no modifications at all to the suspension, none were required.
Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for replying.

I got the numbers from page 10 of the following Ford Drawing, which says the LH (back of bed floor) dropped from 33.81" to 28.72", which is a 5" drop. As you said it is a big drop.
https://madocumentupload.marketingas...daeb0&v5=False
Old 11-08-2022, 08:30 PM   #100

Quote:
Hi AuthorSP,

Thanks,
No trailer lift. I was not faced with that question as trailer was purchased used. Truck and trailer are both close to level when hitched.
Tom