5.0 towing with ford ranger - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2021, 01:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 mini-lite
5.0 towing with ford ranger

Has anyone towed a 5.0 with a ford ranger?
pioneer500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer500 View Post
Has anyone towed a 5.0 with a ford ranger?
Hi: pioneer500... The previous Ford Ranger w/ 4Ltr. V6 could do it. Our Nissan Frontier w/ 4Ltr. V6 did our 5.0TA, but I traded it off w 172,000 kms. on the clock. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
BTW Welcome to our Escape fiberglass forum!!!
Attached Thumbnails
P1030712.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
People have towed the 5.0TA with “marginal” trucks. But I will state my opinion. The Ranger is not suited well to the task. Get a full sized pickup for the power and the sake of your own safety and that of everyone else sharing the road.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
1860lbs payload depending on how equipped and 310 ft lbs of torque at 3000 RPM for the 2019+ Rangers. I don’t see why not. The hard part will be finding a hitch you like for your nerds.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:13 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Payload does not make it a good choice, sometimes. My Ram 1500 payload is really low, but the overall towing experience is nice.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #6

My Chevy 3/4 tom pulled my last trailer, pulls my boat, pulls my cargo trailer, and carried my Bigfoot pickup camper just fine too, but you don’t always need that much truck to safely do a job. I think the Ranger is a safe choice given the size of all of the current Escape trailers. I don’t think a full size truck is needed. Sometime a smaller truck is certainly easier to use. Will my Chevy pull my Escape when I get it, sure, but I know I could safely tow with less.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
1860lbs payload depending on how equipped and 310 ft lbs of torque at 3000 RPM for the 2019+ Rangers. I don’t see why not. The hard part will be finding a hitch you like for your nerds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I think the Ranger is a safe choice given the size of all of the current Escape trailers. I don’t think a full size truck is needed. Sometime a smaller truck is certainly easier to use. Will my Chevy pull my Escape when I get it, sure, but I know I could safely tow with less.
I tend to agree with this assumption that the Ranger should do the job of towing a 5.0 very well.

I considered the Ranger, but it hadn't come into production and spec information was quite sketchy when I was in the market. I bought an F150 with the 5.5' box and I am glad to have it. The only downside is it is a TIGHT fit into my garage, but it does work.

I like having the F150 extra room both in the box and in the back seat. If I were buying today I wouldn't consider the Ranger due to the limited carrying volume, I might consider the Super Cab, but would probably buy the Crew Cab again as we like that large back seat. I have the rail mounted Andersen Ultimate.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed of truck loaded IMG_20200604_170307.jpg  
Old 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #8

Ford Ranger & 5.0

Thank you all for your replys,I hugely appreciate the feedback,so much can be learned from you that have this trailer.I have a bumper pull,I would like to talk to someone who has the 5.0.There is someone I believe it is Ron who is in my home state of Mn.If you care to give me your # please do.Otherwise here is mine 507-345-7496.

Look forward to hearing from you!
Dave
Old 06-16-2021, 01:50 PM   #9

I like not to compromise on safety.I know a full size would be safer but I only do local hauls within my own state.I never have had a fifth wheel only bumper pull.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 E19
I would also ask what fuel mileage the Ranger gets while towing.

The Ranger's fuel tank is rather small at 18gal. You can haul an auxiliary gas can with you for an emergency but that takes up bed space which will be in short supply in the Ranger with the bed mounted hitch for the 5.0. If you're only towing around short hauls in-state then its probably not an issue for you.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #11

I typically see numbers like 16mpg, but that’s bumper pull. Yes the 18 gallon tank is a compromise, but all vehicles are.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:33 AM   #12

Yes that is a factor,I know I wish my Tundra had a bigger tank [they like gas!] but it also makes me stop more often to get out and stretch.I would HUGELY miss my topper with the 3 operative doors for keeping things safe and out of the weather.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #13

I will chime in again and state there is a big difference between adequate and superb! I towed my 5.0TA for 5 years with an F-150 2.7 liter EcoBoost. It was adequate. My current 3.5 liter EcoBoost is superb, and as I just stated on another thread, gets better fuel mileage. But go with a Ranger if you think you are going to be satisfied with “adequate.” Just be aware that when an 18-wheeler flys down an on-ramp and you cannot speed up enough to get past it, you may be going slow for some time. I remember the previous Ranger pre-turbo charging. Scamp always stated that they delivered their Scamp 19s with a Ranger. My wife had a 2000 6-cylinder Ranger. Nice little truck but it would struggle towing an Aliner in mountainous terrain. Granted the new Ranger and old Ranger are apples and oranges, but the Ranger is the lowest powered pickup in Ford’s current stable.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #14

Actually the 3.3L in the F150 does have more hp than the Ranger, but less torque. There is also less weight and windage to move in the Ranger. I personally don’t call them adequate, I call them a good fit. My 3/4 ton Chevy has less hp than either, only 20ft lbs more torque than the Ranger, but up to 5000lbs I never feel a trailer, and could run 80 miles an hour with that 5000lb trailer if I wanted. There are other deciding factors between truck size, but the Ranger clearly has plenty of torque, payload, and horsepower to more than adequately pull any trailer ETI makes. The 2.7 has 325hp and 400ft lbs of torque which is way beyond adequate to me. I can already run 80 easily and get moving quickly even uphill, so I just don’t see needing more. I might want 900hp and 900ft lbs of torque, but I certainly don’t need it. I think this is some kind of preference thing rather than anything less than the 3.5 is only adequate.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:20 PM   #15
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
...but the Ranger is the lowest powered pickup in Ford’s current stable.
Not any more. Check out the new Ford Maverick. https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick...hp-bb-maverick

The new Mavericks are adorable little trucks but definitely not for towing a 5.0....

Our son just purchased a new Ford Ranger. Very nice truck! Totally understand Pioneer500's question. If you plan to just stay on local flat roads (ie. not take your Ranger/5.0 cross country over high mountain passes) this combo might work for you but , 'adequate' or 'marginal' for towing is no fun and quite stressful. Been there, done that. We would definitely recommend a full size pick up for the 5.0.

-Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #16

Thanks Randy!
Old 06-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #17

I think I will keep my Tundra for towing duties.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had a Ford Maverick in the early 1970's......never did miss it!
Old 06-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Not any more. Check out the new Ford Maverick. https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick...hp-bb-maverick

The new Mavericks are adorable little trucks but definitely not for towing a 5.0....

-Bea
Until they are available at dealerships, Mavericks are not in the Ford line. The Ranger is and will be the lowest powered truck in Ford’s lineup until the debut of the Maverick in 2022. And if the electronics manufacturing snafus are corrected, the existing Rangers may continue to be the lowest powered Ford pickup (available) until dealers actually have them to sell. And until anything goes into mass production, it remains a concept rather than a reality.

And sorry, Bea. Adorable is not a word I would use to describe any motor vehicle!
Old 06-17-2021, 09:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Until they are available at dealerships, Mavericks are not in the Ford line. The Ranger is and will be the lowest powered truck in Ford’s lineup until the debut of the Maverick in 2022. And if the electronics manufacturing snafus are corrected, the existing Rangers may continue to be the lowest powered Ford pickup (available) until dealers actually have them to sell. And until anything goes into mass production, it remains a concept rather than a reality.
I understand what you're saying, but this is a confirmed model that you can order today and which exists in pre-production form (final design, just constructed in small quantities); it's not just an idea or a "concept vehicle". You might as well get used to the idea of the Ranger not being the smallest Ford pickup.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote