5.0 Tripod? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2022, 12:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
5.0 Tripod?

Trailer went into production yesterday! Got a few pics.

Wondering if anybody has any input into getting and using a tripod to stabilize the 5th wheel when it is parked? Has anyone had any problems like movement while sleeping while not using one? I'm thinking that it would be a lot more secure using the tripod especially with two people sleeping on the bed. Would'nt want the trailer to fall forward in the middle of the night!
ngarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarc View Post

Wondering if anybody has any input into getting and using a tripod to stabilize the 5th wheel when it is parked? Has anyone had any problems like movement while sleeping while not using one? I'm thinking that it would be a lot more secure using the tripod especially with two people sleeping on the bed. Would'nt want the trailer to fall forward in the middle of the night!
Hi: ngarc... Just how big are those two people? We've never used a tri-pod and I'm a big guy... my wife... not so big!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too have never felt a need. Very stable and we also sleep great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Ngarc, like Jim, have never felt the need. We've seen the big 5th wheels with tripods and understand why they would want one though. Suggest you take delivery and make a decision after a few nights.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Ours feels like a Rock without one.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
No issues, the "X" chock(s) will do a good job of stabilizing the trailer.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Guarantee that if you’re big enough to tip a 5.0 on its nose, you wouldn’t even be able to get into the bed. The trailers these tripods where meant for have a loft area that probably weighs as much as entire 5.0TA. IMHO they are a complete none issue for an Escape.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I would try the Andersen buckets under the landing gear first. They shorten the throw of the front landing gear, so may add some stability. I think Doria and Mena are the only people I have heard of using the tripod. They explain in one of their youtube videos
Old 04-13-2022, 11:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I use wooden blocks on both landing gear and stabilizers. Carry enough in 1 milk crate for every situation we’ve ever been in. Cost me nothing and incrementally adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails
BFE60226-92AD-4C0B-B62D-70504DAD49ED.jpeg   ED11E7A8-B8AE-4021-B3DB-63A4E6331860.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:31 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
I'm not an Andersen hater, but I would be reluctant to put anything like this under landing gear where (unlike stabilizers) a failure could lead to collapse of the trailer's support.

A few failures have been reported. Putting the buckets on an uneven hard surface in particular could lead to cracking at the bottom. If you were really sold on them, a piece of 3/4" plywood underneath might help to better distribute the stresses.

Or, maybe fill them with reinforced concrete to be sure they hold up.
Attached Thumbnails
Andersen Bucket.jpg  
Old 04-13-2022, 12:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarc View Post

My 5.0 TA came with a bipod. I only use it if I am going to be set up for a week...otherwise it is not worth it. It does help some and I use it in the winter when the camper is put away. The rest of the time I use rubber wheel chocks from Tractor Supply fore and aft on both sides, x chocks between the wheels on both sides and all landing gear lands on the orange lego blocks you can get at Walmart...I have two sets.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We had a tripod with our 5.0 single as Beth was concerned it might tip. Didn't use it much and it went with the trailer. As far as the extended support legs go I have for a few years now used three 4x4 blocks bolted together for each side. Was going to go out and take a photo but forgot for a minute that the trailer is in MO, and we are stuck here with snowstorm and covid, should have left yesterday or today.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I'm not an Andersen hater, but I would be reluctant to put anything like this under landing gear where (unlike stabilizers) a failure could lead to collapse of the trailer's support.

A few failures have been reported. Putting the buckets on an uneven hard surface in particular could lead to cracking at the bottom. If you were really sold on them, a piece of 3/4" plywood underneath might help to better distribute the stresses.

Or, maybe fill them with reinforced concrete to be sure they hold up.
I would abandon them before adding concrete... They are rated for way heavier than these small trailers.. The plywood under is a good Idea, I'll do that. Even the "Failures" aren't dropped trailers ,right? Probably cracked buckets, so minimal risk of trailer damage?
Old 04-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I would abandon them before adding concrete... They are rated for way heavier than these small trailers.. The plywood under is a good Idea, I'll do that. Even the "Failures" aren't dropped trailers ,right? Probably cracked buckets, so minimal risk of trailer damage?
I hope it was clear I was joking about the concrete.

Overall, the reviews look positive. Cracks do not rapidly propagate in some materials, like HPDE. So, they might be just fine; my Andersen leveler is quite stout.

I admittedly tend to look at a lot of the plastic RVing products with a jaundiced eye. I had some sort of rigid yellow blocks that came with the purchase of our new-to-us Casita. They failed rapidly. UV degradation may or may not have been a factor.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I hope it was clear I was joking about the concrete.

Overall, the reviews look positive. Cracks do not rapidly propagate in some materials, like HPDE. So, they might be just fine; my Andersen leveler is quite stout.

I admittedly tend to look at a lot of the plastic RVing products with a jaundiced eye. I had some sort of rigid yellow blocks that came with our new-to-us Casita. They failed rapidly. UV degradation may or may not have been a factor.
oops missed your joking part..but I'm new here and a gullible new RV peep..Np
Old 04-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Someone should create a "sarcasm font". I too have been caught in this embarrassing situation, on both sides of it.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Thanks for all the advice! We will be newbys at 5th wheel towing and all these nuggets of information help. Skipping the tripod, looking into making or buying trailer blocks for the landing gear.
ngarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:17 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
Someone should create a "sarcasm font". I too have been caught in this embarrassing situation, on both sides of it.
Finally, sarcasm has a voice in print with its own font https://thenextweb.com/news/finally-...h-its-own-font
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
oops missed your joking part..but I'm new here and a gullible new RV peep..Np
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
Whoops! I would be grateful for a tongue-firmly-in-cheek-font for my posts as I do like to kid around a lot, and maybe too much sometimes.

That is the embarrassed emoji, right? I don't want to screw this up twice in a row!
Old 04-18-2022, 11:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
We have a large fifth-wheel (without a tripod or bipod), and I don't think they're really to support the weight of the loft. We don't notice the bedroom loft bouncing up and down, but even in our large trailer, moving around in the bedroom can cause a detectable side-to-side wiggling motion of the trailer; a tripod or bipod would stabilize that.

I think most RV users (of all types) get accustomed to some movement of the RV, and are comfortable without stabilizing devices beyond conventional jacks, but there are a lot of devices for those who are not comfortable. If wiggling around (rather than the loft bouncing vertically) is a concern, the BAL Lock-Arm system is an alternative, which might be particularly suitable with Escape's tongue jacks used as landing gear... but I haven't used it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote