5.0 v. 19' Foot - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

5.0 v. 19' Foot

I went to the Escape factory a few days ago and looked around at the various trailers on offer (there were quite a few people looking around, so business must be good!).

I initially went in thinking that I really wanted a 19' trailer, but the 5.0 seems to be slightly more liveable, and perhaps more stable on the ground. Hence, my (initial) questions:

1) For those who have towed both the 19' and the 5.0, are there any significant differences between the two in terms of trailering "feel," ease, or manuverability?

2) It seems, based on the drawings, that the overall length for the tow vehicle and the trailer is less for the 5.0 than the 19', even though the 5.0' and the 19' have the same total length, since part of the 5.0 is actually over the bed of the tow vehicle. Is this an accurate statement?

3) Although I don't plan on buying a trailer and immediately selling it, resale is something that I'm concerned about. It seems that a 19' would have better resale potential than the 5.0, since the 19' could be towed by a truck, van, SUV, minivan, etc., while a 5.0 can only be towed (I suppose...) by a truck. Thus, insofar as a 5.0 is concerned, are you unduly restricting or limiting your resale potential by going with a 5.0?

4) Is a 5th wheel hitch removable? And, if so, would removing it (and re-installing it) repeatedly weaken the hitch or compromise its safety?

5) Is there a list of trucks that could realistically tow a 5.0? Looking at the Ford line-up, it seems that the brochures don't even provide 5th wheel towing capability until you get into the Superduty line (F250 and above), and buying one of those trucks seems like a bit of an overkill to just tow the 5.0. I don't have a truck now, but if I were to get one, how would I be able to determine that it would be compatible with the 5.0 without having to contact the Escape factory?

6) The 5.0 model that I looked at had carpeting on the stairs and bedroom area. I'm not adverse to carpeting, but it seemed a little odd for a trailer and I was curious what the maintenance would be like, particularly with regard to the floor space on the sides of the bed. Has anyone had trouble keeping this area clean?

Thanks.
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #2

Re: 5.0 v. 19' Foot

I'll answer as many of your questions as I can. Others will chime in, I'm sure.
1. I've only towed a 17' Casita and our 5.0. I used a WDH with the Casita and find the 5.0 and Casita equally stable.
2. Your statement is correct. The 5.0 and tug are shorter overall.
4. The major portion of the hitch is removable, with mounting bars remaining in the truck bed. I don't see how removing the "removable" parts increase wear at all.
5. I tow with a Ford Ranger and it is adequate for our needs. Other use Frontiers and Tacomas with success. The F-150s (2WD) will fit with a raised trailer axle.
6. We camp with three good-sized dogs and don't find the carpeting to be a bother. We seldom venture onto the stairs or into the loft with shoes on, so tracked-in schmutz hasn't been a problem.

I can only guess at your #3, but suspect resale would be more difficult due to the size limitations for the truck itself.

HTH;
Dave
Old 06-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

My answers are as follows:

Pretty much what Dave said.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #4

Dave's dead on in his answers, in regard to the stairs we have had our 5.0 a little over two years. Like Dave we try not to drag too much dirt up in that area. I did recently clean the stairs for the first time with an over the counter product and it came out fine.

Jerry
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: RoadTripper... I can only second everyones answers. I don't think the carpeting goes under the mattress just around the edges...to cover the sub floor. Once a year vacuuming is all ours gets.
I think that truck mfg's figure when people talk fifth wheels they mean those huge behemoths that look like a 2 story house behind your Super Duty!!! We saw a fifth wheel so huge it made the 1 ton dually truck squat, but then it had central vac. to keep his wife happy. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA

FWIW: My Grand Caravan and 17 foot Casita were 35 feet total. The fiver and Nissan Frontier (long bed) are 34.

Dick
Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #7

Hi: RoadTripper...IMHO here's a pic. of what I think is a compatible truck for the 5.0. Many others on this forum think so too!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
Hind Quarters.jpg   earned my stripes.jpg  
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Hey Alf,
That is a nice looking truck and cover, too bad you can keep the cover while towing!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #9

Hi: cpaharley2008...Thanks we really like the truck, and my wife lets me drive it sometimes too!!! Nice thing about the 3 folds forward Nissan tonneau is it can stay on the truck while towing. Just clears the hitch plate even on a 90* turn. Then when we unhitch it's just a simple case of folding it back and clamping down the rear clamps. The hitch stays protected from the weather most of the time. Alf
Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

Hi RoadTripper,

Welcome to the Escape Forum.

On the subject of resale...It shouldn't be an issue. These little fiberglass trailers have a great resale. If properly maintained, they hold their value much better than the stick built trailers. I sold my 2003 Casita this for $4000.00 less than I purchased it for this year. It took me 2 weeks and I had two others buyers in the waiting.

I am willing to bet once you become an owner of the right fiberglass trailer for your wants & needs, you will not want to part with it.

As for me...I am on my way to take delivery of my new 5.0.

David
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyc
As for me...I am on my way to take delivery of my new 5.0.
I believe that I may have seen yours being built.

During the little factory tour, I was told that there were several Texas-bound Escapes being constructed and were soon to be sent on their way.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
Hi: RoadTripper...IMHO here's a pic. of what I think is a compatible truck for the 5.0. Many others on this forum think so too!!! Alf
From the picture, it appears that the hitch is not in front of the rear axle. Correct?

If so, do you use (or did you need to get) a special kind of hitch to keep chances of "binding" or jack-knifeing to a minimum?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
From the picture, it appears that the hitch is not in front of the rear axle. Correct?

If so, do you use (or did you need to get) a special kind of hitch to keep chances of "binding" or jack-knifeing to a minimum?
Hi: RoadTripper...Our hitch plate is directly over the axle. A special hitch isn't necessary with the Nissan Frontier long bed truck. We do however have a double pivot 16K Husky EZRoller hitch www.huskytow.com which is overkill but we bought the trailer with a short bed GMC Sierra truck as a package deal. The hitch was transfered to the new 2010 Frontier because we already owned it!!!
We use a Teflon plate over the pin to lube the hitch plate. I just replaced it, (ten bucks at my local RVdealer), for the first time.
There's plenty of clearance 2 1/2"s so no chance of a major crackup and I can swing a full 90* and then some before contact of the cab/trailer. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. At the moment there are no used 5.0's on the market...that I know of.
Attached Thumbnails
Truckstop shot.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #14

Hi: RoadTripper...Here's a pic of the hitch pin and plate ready to connect and one of a normal turn. If I jack knife the rig far enough the marks on the truck cab won't buff out!!! Alf
escape artist N.S.of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
almost there.jpg   Normal turn.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #15

Hi: RoadTripper...Here's another shot of our hitch in the Frontier box. The EZRoller hitch was adjusted down to allow for the shallower box, and the hitch pin was extended out to achieve a level tow. My RVTech used the same tiedown plates, hitch, rails, and wiring from the GMC. An extra wire harness was required to be plugged into the pass. side kick pannel under the dash. That completed the wiring thru the truck to the rear bumper. Now its just hitch plug and tow!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
That\'s it!!!.jpg   adjusted pin box.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
davel

Greetings,

I'm also interesting in how towing a 19 would compare to a 5.0. Having never towed anything I have nothing to compare it to. Any pro/con info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Old 07-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #17

Ni: davel...The only comparison figures I've ever seen were from Tammy& Reace. Similar trips to Bandon Or. in the same truck with their family gave a slight mpg. advantage to the 5.0. Where I find a big advantage is in hooking up the 5.0 and the more positive tow with the fifth hitch right over the axle... but alas I have never towed a 19'er... only a 13' Boler!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
rope& pole awning.jpg   all dressed up.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Hi, Dave!
Do you have your tow vehicle already? If not, the 19' can be towed with a mid-sized SUV such as a Pilot or 4Runner.
The 19' will track right behind your TV whereas the 5.0 is going to cut in more on turns. That said, these are such small trailers that it may not be much of an issue. The obvious reason that many people with pick-ups want a bumper-pull trailer is to use the bed area for a boat or other things.

Others love their 5.0s and, as Alf says, like the pivot point where it is. I don't know all of the steps in hooking up a 5.0 but it may be less trouble than a bumper-pull. We have a weight distributing hitch and would not be without it.

Besides the towing, the interior situation is often what makes the decision. The bed in the 5.0 doesn't require one person to climb over the other but has steps. We really don't find the climbing over matters much.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

I voted for the 19. As far as I'm concerned it tows like a dream. On April 10 Dave did the receiver hitch adjustments to mate up with my 09 Ford Escape. Reece looked her over and we decided this particular combo didn't need an equalizing hitch. Except for two weeks away for work I've been camping in it every night since. Tonight in the PEI Nat Park Cavendish Campground on the east coast. Sure was a great feeling knowing I had 4 relatively lightly loaded wheels back there as I was trying by best to dodge all the road hazards you encounter crossing North America.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #20

We're also shopping. No decision yet. It's a mass of confusion on our end. LOL.
Hubby likes the dual axle on the 19' trailer but also likes the idea of the 5.0 for less of a sway situation. We both like the 5.0 bed set up and the feel of two different areas in the 5.0. But the 5.0 does not have the 4-wheel set up.

We're at a crossroads...and no one's crossing the street yet as we don't know which way to go - 19' trailer or 5.0 fifth wheel. It's a boatload of money so a pretty major decision. kinda wish we liked the casita but we feel claustrophobic in it, not enough windows like the Escape has. But it sure is friendlier to the wallet and the Liberty has a king size bed. We like the Escape 17B but the bed is a bit too small for us.

Going to see someone's 19' Escape this week. Can't wait. We've only seen a 17A (no bathroom) so we're looking forward to it.
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote