5.0 vs 23 towing/living comparison - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
�� what extra storage space does the 21 have?
There is more storage under the kitchen counter (it's longer), there is a huge storage area under the 21 bed, and the drivers side overhead cabinets are longer (no bathroom on that side)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Jackie - no comparative info on the 23 of course, but this might be of some interest still:

Quick-Comparison Floorplans: 19, 21C & NE, and 5.0TA

Me, I'm still trying to balance the many pros and cons between the 21C and the 5.0TA for my particular purposes / interests / habits. It's a highly personal 'dilemma' - but I'm glad that ETI gives us so many choices to 'agonize over'

At least I know that the future 23 is not 'in the running' for me - too big and nothing in the preview floorplans to draw me to that one.

Good Luck with your 'decisions, decisions'
Old 08-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post
You guys are great! Not necessarily making the decision easier, but great, nonetheless!

New question...what is under the stairs in the 5.0 anyways? Do the tops lift off or have those of you who've added storage done some extra carpentry work?

Also, hubby wants to know if it's easier to set up a 5.0 or 19/21/23 when you get to camp so that you can drive the TV on it's own or is it a wash between the two? Looks to me like there are two pairs of stabilizer jacks on the bumper models and only one on the 5.0...

Keep your thoughts coming! If we could get a used 5.0 that would make the decision a lot easier :-)
There are 3 steps leading to the loft. The bottom two come from the factory hinged to open for storage. Many owners have modified the top step to do the same. The storage area of middle step extends all the way under the top step. Some folks who open the top step leave it open to that area for taller items like tables. Others like myself add a bottom to the top step to make it a separate storage area.

We had an Escape 19' before upgrading to our 5.0 so I have experience with both. I would say setting up and breaking camp is a wash between the two. Just different. Leveling the trailer, securing the wheels / jacks, hooking up any utilities, etc is about a 15-20 minute process depending on utilizes for either trailer. I actually spend more time setting up accessories like the grill, rugs, chairs etc. than the actual trailer set up. (Note: for quick one night stops on long cross country trips, we don't bother with the accessories and if the site is level enough, we don't even unhitch so we can get a quick start the next morning. Personally, I still lower the stabilizing jacks, but many folks don't bother if still hooked to their tow vehicle.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4298.jpeg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
There is more storage under the kitchen counter (it's longer), there is a huge storage area under the 21 bed, and the drivers side overhead cabinets are longer (no bathroom on that side)
Actually the overhead storage space is more in the 5.0. The interior length of the 5.0 is 2' 4" longer than the interior length of the 21. Also there are overhead cabinets on both side of the bed.

i agree the under bed storage on the 21 offers more space than the 5.0.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #25

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The last item that helped is the extra storage space a 21 has over the 5.0.
Sorry, that's not true.

The 21 has the front storage box, some storage under the bed and a larger kitchen.

The 5.0 has a large storage compartment in front above the LP tank compartment, storage under the first two steps, storage to the right of the entry, and more overhead storage.

That storage under the second step is huge, easily as big as the front box on the 21. Ours contains our eating table, 100 watt solar panel, electric heater, clothes detergent, rain gear, vacuum cleaner, and other needless stuff.

I've added a storage compartment under the top step that holds four pair of shoes and the vacuum attachments, over the LP tanks themselves for all our hoses/water filter, and can add more storage over each of the front landing gears.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i think its easier to hitch the 5.0 then a bumper pull with an equalizer hitch (heavy). I can hitch my 5.0 alone no problem. But the 5.0 has steps up the bed so if that's too difficult i would pick a bumper pull. its easier to haul a 5.0 shorter smoother.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Fox Hunt hits on something I overlooked, the 5.0TA needs no weight distribution hitch. Not that everyone uses one on a bumper pull, but the suckers are heavy.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post
Hi all...my husband Tony and I have quickly become huge Escape fans. We do not have a travel trailer now (nor ever) but are 99% sure Escape is the way to go for us. We were pretty sure the 23 was going to be our winner, but the 5.0 caught our attention recently, too. Initially my husband was against a 5th wheel so we could tote our kayaks along in the truck bed/rack. Seeing kayaks on top of a truck with a 5th wheel got us thinking. So many people rave about the benefits of a 5th wheel in terms of handling (new to towing a travel trailer, remember), gas mileage, etc. Maybe we should consider it...

So, here's my question. From your experience, why should we get one vs. the other? How easy will it be to leave both at a campsite to drive our truck around the location? Which is easier to hook up? Does sleeping in a short loft make you hit your head when you sit up (not me...I'm 5'3"...hubby is 6'1")? Dry bath in 23 vs wet bath in 5.0. Hubby gets up crazy early (4:30 often)...is giving up the door blocking off the "bedroom" in the 23 for the loft in the 5.0 worth it for other benefits?

Would love to hear your pros and cons for each (5.0 and the non 5th wheels...). The one thing that we may have to wait on is the announcements about the new features in the 23. If it is made as more a four season, that may be the deciding factor anyways.

Thanks for all of your always awesome insight!!

Jackie
Indiana
We have the 5.0. I'm 6' and can sit up in bed without a problem Also, hitching up the 5th wheel and towing it is much easier than a bumper pull, in my opinion. Additionally, since approximately 3 to 4 feet of the 5th wheel is over the truck bed, it's essentially like towing a 17' trailer as far as overall length. We've owned bumper pulls before and love towing a 5th wheel. The Anderson Ultimate hitch is super.
billserna67@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 F250
I looked at the 5.0 and a 19. I am 6’-4”. The 5.0 fits. I love the height. That is why I have one.

The 5.0 requires that you climb up into bed and down again. As we age this will become a possible safety issue (we are 68 and getting stiff in the back). We do like the feeling of the separation of the sleeping area from the kitchen.

The 5.0 handles well in the road and I like pulling it over a tag a long. In addition it has a compact foot print. (With an F250 it fits in adjacent WalMart parking slots.) You do give up hidden trunk space, which is a lot of potential storage. Hope this helps.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:57 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
We have a 2017 21 and we love it except for the bed.....we are in our mid 60s and the double bed in the 21 is too small as well as getting in and out of it to use the bathroom at night. We have been looking at the new Lance and there are things we just don't like about it...smaller fridge, acrylic windows and lack of kitchen stove and counter space. I am pretty sure we will be ordering a 23 with walk around queen bed.....just waiting to see it. Never considered a 5.0 because of steps and claustrophobic sleeping area for me.
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #31

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Wait till Jim Norman comes back and ask him about the Lances, he's had 2 of them.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Wait till Jim Norman comes back and ask him about the Lances, he's had 2 of them.
We had a pristine 2014 Lance 1995. At first it looked great. We took it on one 4,000 mile trip out west. We found:
Horrible fit and finish. Too many loose items.

Upper cabinet doors do not fully open so they hit you in the head. Last I knew they still sold them with those partially opening doors

Shower is too small so the curtain is laying on you when showering and leaks out the sides to the floor.

Bathroom cabinet opened to the wall so it could not be fully opened

Bathroom door was hard to close. Was the same in all 1995's I knew.

Small undersized tires. We got less than 9.5 mpg with a 5,000 # loaded camper. We got nearly 11 mpg with our 6,500 # Bigfoot!

Known issue with the slides failing. Dinette is elevated. You have to install a jack on the inside of the camper under the slide floor or you'd better not sit in the dinette with the slide in.

Bed was so tight next to the lower cabinets that it was nearly impossible to change the sheets. We had to pull the mattress out away from the cabinets, put on the lower sheet and then slide the mattress back in.

All the interior doors and cabinet doors were cheap/flimsy
Two years earlier we had a Cougar with the same layout, but the quality was head and shoulders above the Lance.

It's been two years and I'm sure I missed something.

When we got home from that single trip, the Lance went up for sale so we could purchase our Escape 5.0. The Lance was sold in July and we picked up the 5.0 on October 26. After 24,000 miles pulling and 300 nights the Escape is far superior.

Foolishly we sold our Bigfoot to buy the Lance and that was a huge mistake. If you're willing to pull a 6-7,000# camper a Bigfoot is the way to go. They're built like tanks! Knowing what I know, I'd purchase another 25' Bigfoot over the 23' Escape. OTOH, our 5.0 is wonderful and will last many years. TETO!

Enjoy,

Perry