5.0 vs 23 towing/living comparison - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA
5.0 vs 23 towing/living comparison

Hi all...my husband Tony and I have quickly become huge Escape fans. We do not have a travel trailer now (nor ever) but are 99% sure Escape is the way to go for us. We were pretty sure the 23 was going to be our winner, but the 5.0 caught our attention recently, too. Initially my husband was against a 5th wheel so we could tote our kayaks along in the truck bed/rack. Seeing kayaks on top of a truck with a 5th wheel got us thinking. So many people rave about the benefits of a 5th wheel in terms of handling (new to towing a travel trailer, remember), gas mileage, etc. Maybe we should consider it...

So, here's my question. From your experience, why should we get one vs. the other? How easy will it be to leave both at a campsite to drive our truck around the location? Which is easier to hook up? Does sleeping in a short loft make you hit your head when you sit up (not me...I'm 5'3"...hubby is 6'1")? Dry bath in 23 vs wet bath in 5.0. Hubby gets up crazy early (4:30 often)...is giving up the door blocking off the "bedroom" in the 23 for the loft in the 5.0 worth it for other benefits?

Would love to hear your pros and cons for each (5.0 and the non 5th wheels...). The one thing that we may have to wait on is the announcements about the new features in the 23. If it is made as more a four season, that may be the deciding factor anyways.

Thanks for all of your always awesome insight!!

Jackie
Indiana
Jgntch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Nobody knows what the 23 will pull like. Cause it only exists on paper as far as we know.

The 5.0TA is a dream.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Have had both 5.0 and bumper (non-Escape)
trailer, as well as Class B, and Class A over many years. Our (current) 5.0 is the best combination of qualities for us - two seniors and two large dogs.

The 5.0 is easy to tow, both for the driver and at the fuel pump. The wet bath is great and there is plenty of ceiling height over the bed. I generally hook up alone, but have several cameras. A second person makes it easier...

You can't go wrong with Escape!
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
The main difference will be layout and towing ease. In terms of layout the thing I like about the 5.0 compared to the current trailers is the loft area for the bed makes the sleeping and living areas feel like separate spaces. The appeal of the 23' is that they really will be separate spaces. Currently the 5.0 has the most interior space, 19' 8" interior length compared to 17'4" on the 21C or 2NE. The new 23" will have about the same interior length as the 5.0. So space will be about the same, it is how it is used and devided up that only you can answer based on what is important to you.

So the other main factor is towing characteristics: The 5.0 is more stable than a tow behind. The pivot point is about in the middle of the over all length of the combined truck / trailer. With a 23' tow behind the pivot point will be about 1/3 back in the over all length. Don't get me wrong, if set up correctly, both are very safe to tow, they will just handle differently. There was another thread about the ease of hooking up a tow behind vs. and 5.0 and the consensus was they were about the same effort, just different processes.

So bottom line, I would suggest that you focus on layout first and give that the most weight in your decision. Then think about other things.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:34 AM   #5

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
From one Junior Member to another.

You’ve probably noticed already that you’re spending way too much time pondering
the 5.0 or a pull behind. The upper bunk is extremely tantalizing. But then again so is the underbelly storage of a similar length pull behind with a private bedroom.

At $35K for the 5.0 maybe just step up to a used 23 foot Airstream? Heck, maybe just get one of those used Mercedes Sprinter Class C? Hmmm, or just save a ton and get a cheap CruiseLite?

Don’t lose too much sleep over the back and forth.

We’re 87.3% favoring the 5.0. But then again, there is that stubborn 12.7% of indecision!

Maybe we should form an Escape Support Group.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:36 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Without seeing a yet to be released 23... If you can't do the steps to get in and out of bed get the 23. If you want the truck bed for bigger items that you can't fit if you have a 5th wheel, get the 23. Making the bed/s will be easier in a 23. I think you can get twin beds in the 23. The bath will be bigger in the 23. You can curtain off the bed area in the 5.0. The 5.0 tows nicer, based on my experience with a 20' stickie bumper pull.

Unfortunately, unless ETI comes up with a way to see a 23 in the USA, you won't be able to go to the factory to compare.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation

If you need yet another factor to consider, there's Overall Rig Length.

With any given pickup tow vehicle the 5.0TA will be a shorter overall hitched-rig than the 23 bumper-pull, likely on the order of 5~6 feet (or a bit more depending on hitch configuration details).

Maybe or maybe not a factor for you, the comment for your consideration inspired by this thread mentioning things like park restrictions and practical campsite pad-length availability / choices, which may or may not have easy 'workarounds':

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nds-18482.html
Old 08-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
The 23 is still a concept. Would really want to see a real one, a video walk through of a prototype would answer a lot of questions for me. One is how much light is there going to be in there? How well will the ventilation as well as the heat and cooling work with the door to sleeping area closed? The dry bath seems to take up a lot of space, for the length of time one spends in there is it really worth it? How much storage will you actually have?

We love our 5.0, but this is our first travel trailer So can’t give a personal comparison to a tow behind. The sleeping area is plenty high enough for most people and although there is no door separating it from the rest of the trailer some people have put curtains up. We have not found this to be necessary, when my wife ( really early riser ) gets up she uses the reading light in the dinette area and I get to snooze until 5:30. Really like that on warm nights we can open the escape hatch for ventilation and a view of the night sky. Don’t know about the 23 as far as storage but pretty sure the 5.0 has way more storage than the 21. As far as hitching goes we use the Anderson Ultimate and it’s a piece of cake. After just a couple of times we got it all figured out. As far as the tow behind being easier, well I know hitching my utility trailer is no problem but with the 23 I think a weight distribution hitch would be necessary and although I’ve never used one, watching people using them both hitching and unhitching has proven entertaining on more than one occasion. Now the OAL of your tow and trailer will be considerably shorter with the 5.0. Mine towing with a F150 is only 36’. Makes for easier parking and maneuvering through tight places. I’m totally sold on the benefits of a fifth wheel but we all look at things from a unique perspective so good luck with what ever you choose.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you want the truck bed for bigger items that you can't fit if you have a 5th wheel, get the 23. Making the bed/s will be easier in a 23 .....
The bath will be bigger in the 23.
Finally we both were retired when we purchased our 2018 5.0 TA. When we drove to Chilliwack to get our 5.0 our truck was packed to the brim (but no trikes). We were fine with space.

When we left in January 2019 we carried both trikes and decided to fold one so they both would fit in the truck bed. The rest of the truck was packed with even more needless crap. Also found out that folding the trike and lifting it into the front of the truck bed was a back breaker. We were still carrying the kitchen sink. Too much stuff!

For the June 2019 trip to Teddy Roosevelt, Teton, Yellowstone National Parks, and Kellogg, ID. for the trike convention, we carried one trike on the back of the 5.0 and started leaving needless stuff at home. We gained more space.

Last November we switched from our 2015 extended cab F150, with 6.5 box, to a 2019 quad cab F150 that now holds Terry's Tern e-bike behind the drivers seat, leaving one trike at home. We also left more needless stuff at home. For the first time ever we actually have unused space in the pickup bed.

We've also added storage underneath the top step in the 5.0 for shoe storage and the bottom of that new-found space lifts out so we can store our portable 100 watt Renogy solar panel in the back of the bottom step storage area. Plus I've added storage over the LP tanks for all our hoses. Haven't even got around to adding the storage over the front jacks, and won't until it's really needed.

There is more storage in the 5.0 than people think.

We find it's actually easier to make the queen bed in our 5.0 than the bed's that were wedged in between the end tables on our Bigfoot, Cougar, or Lance. Anytime a bed is wedged next to walls or cabinets it's harder to make. Only the foot corners of the queen in the 5.0 touches something immovable. Terry will be altering the top blanket foot corners to fit the foot space perfectly.

The last time we had a wet bath was in our 2000 Scamp. We had four campers after the Scamp with dry baths. For us, the space we gain from a wet bath trumps a dry bath.

We love the efficiency of the 5.0.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #10

We love our 5.0TA. We curtain off the sleeping area so my Princess on a pea, can sleep for a few more hours.

I am trying to think of negatives with the 5.0TA. There are not many. Here are a few things I think about.

1. The tolerances with the 5.0TA and my truck are tight. That trailer is right behind the truck and yes I dinged my cab turning. Ouch! I have to put down the tailgate, reverse the truck, put up the tailgate and then hook up. I nicked the king pin once. Ouch!

I use Arnie's telescoping magnet approach to hook up and it is quite easy. So watch the tolerances, hooking up is easy. But it's still a process.

2. The dinette is limited to 48". You can get a bigger one with the 21NE. I am over 6 feet tall and a little more leg room wouldn't hurt.

3. No matter what, space is tight. No room for clutter at all.

4. Sometimes when my legs are stiff from hiking, sliding out to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, means I have to pay attention. And be careful. They are steps, after all.

I had to sit down and really think about this, because all of these objections don't matter to me all the much. Except the truck. I love Tundra Moodra! But those are small things to consider.

I am not giving my 5.0TA back. I am scheming the next trip as we speak! And my far away vision is starting to become clear, which means I can see several trips down the road now. This is fun!

I will say this. The first thing to go are going to be the lead-acid batteries. In two years the lithium technology will be slightly better and cheaper. Lead-acid have drawbacks. I don't like them!
Old 08-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #11

Smile

You guys are great! Not necessarily making the decision easier, but great, nonetheless!

New question...what is under the stairs in the 5.0 anyways? Do the tops lift off or have those of you who've added storage done some extra carpentry work?

Also, hubby wants to know if it's easier to set up a 5.0 or 19/21/23 when you get to camp so that you can drive the TV on it's own or is it a wash between the two? Looks to me like there are two pairs of stabilizer jacks on the bumper models and only one on the 5.0...

Keep your thoughts coming! If we could get a used 5.0 that would make the decision a lot easier :-)
Old 08-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #12

Jackie, I had to laugh when i noticed you are from Granger, IN. I am from Mishawaka and all my family still lives there.

I left after school. Welcome to the group!
Old 08-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Without seeing a yet to be released 23... If you can't do the steps to get in and out of bed get the 23. If you want the truck bed for bigger items that you can't fit if you have a 5th wheel, get the 23. Making the bed/s will be easier in a 23. I think you can get twin beds in the 23. The bath will be bigger in the 23. You can curtain off the bed area in the 5.0. The 5.0 tows nicer, based on my experience with a 20' stickie bumper pull.

Unfortunately, unless ETI comes up with a way to see a 23 in the USA, you won't be able to go to the factory to compare.
Both my wife and I are over 65. Here are the items that helped make our decision on which trailer to get.

When touring a 5.0 TA, my wife almost hurt herself badly falling down the loft stairs. The bigger bathroom in the 21 was the next item - I seem to getting larger the older I get. The last item that helped is the extra storage space a 21 has over the 5.0. The 5.0 was definitely off our list!

The 5.0 is nice but the 21 is nicer for our needs. The biggest one - one fall and our camping days would be over. A broken hip is a live changing event we could do without.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #14

The landing gear on the front of the 5.0 takes care of front to back level. It’s powered so no need to crank. For side to side level we use Anderson leveler which work good. There are rear stabilizers which we use but aren’t absolutely necessary to deploy. In most campsites we have the trailer level, hookups connected, camp chairs out, awning deployed and I’m drinking a beer in 15 minutes or less. Takes about the same to pack up to leave. Usually substitute coffee for the beer😎
Old 08-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Both my wife and I are over 65. Here are the items that helped make our decision on which trailer to get.

When touring a 5.0 TA, my wife almost hurt herself badly falling down the loft stairs. The bigger bathroom in the 21 was the next item - I seem to getting larger the older I get. The last item that helped is the extra storage space a 21 has over the 5.0. The 5.0 was definitely off our list!

The 5.0 is nice but the 21 is nicer for our needs. The biggest one - one fall and our camping days would be over. A broken hip is a live changing event we could do without.
🤔 what extra storage space does the 21 have?
Old 08-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Jackie, I had to laugh when i noticed you are from Granger, IN. I am from Mishawaka and all my family still lives there.
I am from Mishawaka and still work there and our boys go to school there. I was jobless after college, so we ended up moving in with the in-laws (also in Mishawaka) and after kids and a divorce it got too tricky to move. Three more years we will be done with kids in high school and then can think about where we would like to live given no school limitations :-)
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #17

Top step is fixed next 2 are hinged. Some, myself included have modified top step to open. Opening top step gave me a place to put my folding table other than the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
E32B1263-E3F7-470B-8426-A7D38977CD34.jpeg   983D4484-7D75-4628-80B1-49D0B3008394a.jpeg  
Old 08-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgntch View Post
Also, hubby wants to know if it's easier to set up a 5.0 or 19/21/23 when you get to camp so that you can drive the TV on it's own or is it a wash between the two? Looks to me like there are two pairs of stabilizer jacks on the bumper models and only one on the 5.0...
It's a wash pretty much, maybe a tad fast with the 5.0TA. Breaking camp is also quicker and easier with a 5.0, not that a bumper pull is difficult. Both are fairly simple once you get used to it.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Top step is fixed next 2 are hinged. Some, myself included have modified top step to open. Opening top step gave me a place to put my folding table other than the truck.
Thanks! If we go with the 5.0 we will definitely be looking up how to do that! Thanks for the pics, too!
Old 08-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #20

So far we do not use more than half of the storage in the 5.0TA.

There is not very much room for big stuff, but medium to little stuff is no problem.