5.0TA and Toyota Tundra - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
5.0TA and Toyota Tundra

Have been looking at tow ratings, etc., for the 2018 Toyota Tundra and how they relate to the 5.0TA. Wondered if someone could do a 'sanity check' on my calculations.
Per the ETI web site, the 2018 5.0TAs weigh in as follows:
Hitch Weight 600 lbs*
Axle Weight 3285 lbs
Total Dry Wt 3885 lbs
GVWR 5500 lbs
*In looking at the actual hitch (kingpin) weights of current 5.0TAs, the 'wet weight' is probably closer to 750 lbs.

The 2018, Toyota Tundra, double cab, standard bed, 4x4, w/tow package and large gas tank has specifications as follows:
Vehicle Capacity Wt (occupants + luggage): 1320 lbs
Weight of truck plus gas (38 gal tank): 5720 lbs
GVWR: 7,100 lbs
GCWR: 15,900 lbs
TWR (GTWR): 9,900 lbs
Hitch Wt Max 990 lbs

My thinking is that after you add passengers (approx. 350lbs), Andersen hitch (approx. 70lbs w/chains, etc.), Fold-a-Cover (55 lbs) and the 5.0TA (750lbs), you only have about 100 lbs for 'stuff'. That seems a little close for comfort. Am I missing something?

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not really, i went thru the same calculations with my Ram Hemi with 1350# weight capacity. With 2 passengers and 2 dogs and the bed full of stuff I was right at the max, so I went back to a new style 19. Do you really need all the extra room and weight?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

That's what we're thinking. Although, the 21' is appealing ...

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We ran the numbers (Payload) and if we bought a new 5.0 TA , we would also need to buy a new tow vehicle . $100,000 was more than at this point in our lives we feel justified in spending . Escape trailers are great trailers but for us there needs to be a balance between cost and usage . We find ourselves using our present trailer less and less every year, not from lack of desire but more from declining health.

Good Luck with whichever road you choose.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #5

I can definitely understand your reasoning. We ended up having to get a new truck which is what started us thinking; however, I was just surprised that the newer Tundras, while having a decent tow capacity have such a wimpy payload package (and crummy gas mileage). Guess you can't have everything.

BTW, thanks Jim for confirming my suspicions.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I'm currently in the throes of making the same type of decision. In my case, I have a 2017 Chevy Colorado 4X4 diesel. The sticker inside the driver's side door indicates I have a total payload capacity of 1,374 lbs, which is somewhat less than Chevy indicated on their website for this vehicle, which is 1,480 lbs. Payload ratings absolutely vary by the specific vehicle, so if you don't already have your Tundra, be sure to look at that sticker before you buy it, so you know for sure what its max payload is. It's likely to be less than what Toyota says on their website. As many others have pointed out on multiple threads, when considering a tow vehicle, payload and GVWR are always the limiting factors, above and beyond the weight the rig is rated to tow. For me, while I think I could stay below the payload for my truck with a 5.0TA, there is also enough variability in the pin weight of this trailer I'm concerned about having to really pay attention to what we bring and how we balance it, and these limitations and the whole hassle of it might not make buying a 5.0TA worth it. I love everything about the truck and am not willing to consider trading it for something with more capability, so we may well be buying a 19 instead. Many things to consider, for sure!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Am I missing something?
Nope.

Payload (not trailer weight rating) is the limiting factor for most light-duty pickup trucks towing a 5.0TA. The Tundra's payload is quite typical for the base configuration, of both mid-size and full-size light-duty pickups in North America. The way to avoid being very limited in cargo is to choose a truck with a higher payload, usually as a result of adding an optional high-payload package... which is not offered in all brands and models. In a quick pass through Toyota's online build tool, I didn't see any option to increase payload.

In recent years the F-150 has had the highest payload, although it's not the only one with more than 1,400 pounds available; a Silverado/Sierra can go over a ton, too. Both GM's Silverado/Sierra and Ram's 1500 are updated for 2019; I don't think their payload specs are available yet.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Have been looking at tow ratings, etc., for the 2018 Toyota Tundra and how they relate to the 5.0TA. Wondered if someone could do a 'sanity check' on my calculations.
Per the ETI web site, the 2018 5.0TAs weigh in as follows:
Hitch Weight 600 lbs*
Axle Weight 3285 lbs
Total Dry Wt 3885 lbs
GVWR 5500 lbs
*In looking at the actual hitch (kingpin) weights of current 5.0TAs, the 'wet weight' is probably closer to 750 lbs.

The 2018, Toyota Tundra, double cab, standard bed, 4x4, w/tow package and large gas tank has specifications as follows:
Vehicle Capacity Wt (occupants + luggage): 1320 lbs
Weight of truck plus gas (38 gal tank): 5720 lbs
GVWR: 7,100 lbs
GCWR: 15,900 lbs
TWR (GTWR): 9,900 lbs
Hitch Wt Max 990 lbs

My thinking is that after you add passengers (approx. 350lbs), Andersen hitch (approx. 70lbs w/chains, etc.), Fold-a-Cover (55 lbs) and the 5.0TA (750lbs), you only have about 100 lbs for 'stuff'. That seems a little close for comfort. Am I missing something?
I have a 2012 Tundra 4x4 double cab w tow package and 4.6l engine and a 2014 5.0 TA and it seems a good match. We do not have every cupboard filled but do carry a full tank of water, bikes on the back, corian dishes etc. I also carry a Honda 3000is in the truck, tools, my wife, etc. Sometimes if we are boondocking I also fill the 30 gal water tank in the back of the truck. At the wheel well the truck only goes down an inch or so. Plenty of power, no problem braking, handling is quite good. No I have not had it weighed but we do have many of the options in the trailer. I am quite happy with the set up. Oh we use an Anderson hitch too although I think the 70lbs also includes the rails and mounting kit...
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I have a 2012 Tundra 4x4 double cab w tow package and 4.6l engine and a 2014 5.0 TA and it seems a good match. We do not have every cupboard filled but do carry a full tank of water, bikes on the back, corian dishes etc. I also carry a Honda 3000is in the truck, tools, my wife, etc. Sometimes if we are boondocking I also fill the 30 gal water tank in the back of the truck. At the wheel well the truck only goes down an inch or so. Plenty of power, no problem braking, handling is quite good. No I have not had it weighed but we do have many of the options in the trailer. I am quite happy with the set up. Oh we use an Anderson hitch too although I think the 70lbs also includes the rails and mounting kit...
You may want to weigh your set up just to insure you are within limits, the fact you can carry all of the items mentioned does not mean your axles are not overloaded or you are not over the capacity.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You may want to weigh your set up just to insure you are within limits, the fact you can carry all of the items mentioned does not mean your axles are not overloaded or you are not over the capacity.
Not too worried. If the suspension hardly squats at all, the truck stops and handles well, and the headlights are pointing where they are supposed to. Which is exactly what mine does... Yes you have to be careful about what you carry, payloads, axle weights etc but after years of hauling fire wood you get a pretty good idea of if a truck is overloaded or not. I would not recommend my set up for people that are heavy or for more than two people.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I am old school . I can add ,subtract , divide , & multiply .
I studied geometry , algebra , trig , & calculus.
Yet , I still don't understand this new creative math .

Why do payload limits apply to some makes of vehicles but are irrelevant with others.?

Why does every other male in the US weigh 150 lbs yet I weigh around 200 lbs ?

Why does water weigh 8.3 lbs / gal where I live but only 6 lbs / gal in other areas.?

How can you load a trailer full of water , propane , provisions and beer and yet the trailer weighs less then the listed dry weight.?

My grandkids have offered to teach me the NEW math , maybe I will take them up on it.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #12

I know exactly what you mean!!

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
We have a Tundra 4x4 with the towing package and we have pulled our 5.0 TA on the Blue Ridge Parkway and all over the Rocky Mountains. We have had no problems at all.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #14

Thanks to everyone for their honest and insightful replies. Since we've already purchased the Tundra, now it's decision time ....

Jan

- Cesare Pavese