5.0TA: Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel, Rail vs. Gooseneck Mount? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
For anyone with the specific combination of B&W Turnover Ball + Andersen Ultimate Gooseneck Mount ...

Are you able to access and use the pull-up safety chain loops that are part of the B&W Turnover Ball assembly, or does the base of the Andersen Ultimate interfere with use of those in some way?

Thanks In Advance
I didn't want the penetration of the B&W chain loops so when Trade masters installed my B&W bracket under the bed, I asked them to leave those off. Instead I use the Andersen chain bracket that lays on the bed around the B&W ball and remove it when I remove the Andersen hitch.

In my humble opinion, the safety chains are largely cosmetic as it is highly unlikely that the trailer will separate from the Andersen hitch. Even if one forgets to engage the locking pin. (Don't ask me how I know this!)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #42

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
.... In my humble opinion, the safety chains are largely cosmetic as it is highly unlikely that the trailer will separate from the Andersen hitch. Even if one forgets to engage the locking pin. (Don't ask me how I know this!)
Lol, no argument from me about the safety chains, but it's the law in TX and as mentioned in the previous post I've already got the Turnoverball with chain loops installed, so good to know they can be used (KISS solution)
Old 08-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
... as mentioned in the previous post I've already got the Turnoverball with chain loops installed, so good to know they can be used (KISS solution)
Ah! I missed this post as we were writing at the same time. Regarding clearances on your F150, have your seen this document on the Escape web site on the 5.0 page?

https://f.hubspotusercontent40.net/h...7-908a7792d9a4
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #44

Yes, Arnie, Thank You. Here's where I posted an annotated graphic from that resource to help with my evaluation of Andersen fitment / clearances for my situation:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post342793
Old 08-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Camplite
I am picking up a used 5.0 TA with my 2019 Ram 1500. It comes with a anderson hitch. Can anyone tell me the exact gooseneck ball I need to purchase? Also how do I know the best spot to mount the gooseneck ball? Are there any other items or tools I need to purchase or bring with me?
drhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #46

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Well, a gooseneck hiitch needs to be installed in the frame of the truck. The ball will come with the hitch.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Anderson Ultimate: Truck and Trailer Components of System

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoda View Post
I am picking up a used 5.0 TA with my 2019 Ram 1500. It comes with a anderson hitch. Can anyone tell me the exact gooseneck ball I need to purchase? Also how do I know the best spot to mount the gooseneck ball? Are there any other items or tools I need to purchase or bring with me?
Does the used 5.0 TA you are buying include both the trailer and the truck components of the "Anderson" (I am assuming the Ultimate hitch), or just the trailer side of the package? Implication is just the trailer part?

A standard gooseneck ball truck hitch, located/mounted just above the bed of the truck, will not be high enough to be compatible with Anderson Ultimate trailer hitch. If you have not already, you might take a look at both the truck and trailer parts that make up the Anderson Ultimate package: https://andersenhitches.com/Products...k-version.aspx

You'll need to chose a rail mounted style, or one that mates over an in-the-bed goose neck ball (as in example above).

All the gooseneck trailer balls that I am aware of are 2 5/16" diameter. The ball in the Anderson Ultimate truck hitch has a taller shaft (and different mounting system) than either the turnover ball style, or the more conventional/standard 2 5/16" ball, which are also used in some bumper pull (heavier duty) hitches.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #48

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Are they providing the base and the trailer kingpin adapter for the Andersen hitch? If so, the type of base will determine what you need in your truck - either rails if their base is rail mounted, or a standard gooseneck ball if the base is a gooseneck base. Either of those have a pyramid shaped frame that attaches to the bed of your truck with a ball that connects with the adapter on the trailer kingpin.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 and know that there are rail kits available for it as well as gooseneck ball kits so you should be able to have either installed at a hitch installation company. If your trailer is only coming with the kingpin adapter and not the base, you will need to determine whether you want the gooseneck or rail mounted version of the base and then purchase that as well as having either rails or a standard gooseneck ball installed in your truck. The ball mount that connects with the trailer adapter is the same on either version of the hitch.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #49

These are pics the current owned sent me. So I just need to buy a 2 5/16 gooseneck ball and have a hold drilled in the bed of the truck? Is there an ideal spot to put it? I just want to buy the correct ball and install it correctly before I leave to go pick it up

Old 08-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #50

I’m not sure you understand. You can’t just take a ball and stick it anywhere in your bed. You need the hitch that goes underneath the bed that attaches to your frame and ball attaches to. Like this B&W Brand.
Attached Images

2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
Old 08-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #51

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
Hi ritacasita,
Could you post some images of your hitch in your Tundra truck bed?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by splicer View Post
Hi ritacasita,
Could you post some images of your hitch in your Tundra truck bed?
Thanks in advance.
Yes. Feel free to contact me either via email or message if you have questions.
Attached Thumbnails
9D8A9BE5-38FB-4452-9600-6FF72CBDBA81.jpg   B9783D50-394E-485B-AD15-EDDD98B1888D.jpg  
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
Old 08-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
I’m not sure you understand. You can’t just take a ball and stick it anywhere in your bed. You need the hitch that goes underneath the bed that attaches to your frame and ball attaches to. Like this B&W Brand.
Thank you...that is what I could never see in any of the pictures! I've never had a 5th wheel so do not know anything about the hitches.

So the item below is what I need to purchase and have installed for my Ram 1500? Will they know where to put it exactly?....as I won't have the anderson hitch with me until I pick up the trailer a few weeks later. Unless I bring it with me and have it installed there.

The RV Maintenance shop there is also saying that hitch parts are hard to get right now as there is a big backlog. That is why I wanted to get the right one ordered right away.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #54

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
That's it! The kit is designed specifically for your truck model to fit the bed and frame exactly so the installers will know where to put it, likely they have installed one of these in your model truck before. The ball will usually be centered between the wheels directly above the axle.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #55

Quote:
So the item below is what I need to purchase and have installed for my Ram 1500? Will they know where to put it exactly?....
All B&W Turnoverball kits are vehicle-specific and can only be installed in ONE location on the vehicle for which they are designed. The shop will get it right or not at all.

In the case of the B&W Turnoverball GNRK1319 you linked the centerline of the turnoverball will be 39-3/8" from the rear edge of the truck bed. All this is detailed in the model-specific installation instructions here.

Note that the Andersen ball centerline (the ball your trailer will actually rest on) will be located 5-3/8" to the rear of the turnoverball location. So, the 'pivot point' of your trailer when using the Andersen hitch on the B&W turnoverball will be [(39-3/8) - (5-3/8)]= 34" from the back edge of the truck bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
.... The ball will usually be centered between the wheels directly above the axle.
Deviation from the "usual" isn't uncommon. The model-specific B&W Turnoverball kits do not always located the ball CL directly at the axle centerline - that can vary, sometimes meaningfully, depending on the application specifics.

As an example: The centerline of the model-specific B&W Turnoverball installed in my F150 is located 4" forward of the axle centerline. In my application that means the Andersen ball / trailer pivot point is 1-3/8" behind the axle centerline, which in my application is 40-1/4" from the back edge of the truck bed. ALL of these dimensions are vehicle specific.

Folks should be aware that the model-specific location of the B&W Turnoverball in any specific vehicle may not provide the 'best' location for the Andersen GN hitch/Escape 5.0TA combination and clearances. IMO that bears confirmation on a vehicle-specific basis and may lead to the choice of a different brand in-bed gooseneck kit which offers a more favorable in-bed ball location. Not all brands of gooseneck kits (or rail-kits) locate the ball (or rails) at exactly the same point front-to-back, and sometimes a difference of only a few inches can make a big difference when it comes to trailer clearances with the 5.0TA. The saga of member PM15283 in this thread seems to be an example of that.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
These are pics the current owned sent me. So I just need to buy a 2 5/16 gooseneck ball and have a hold drilled in the bed of the truck? Is there an ideal spot to put it? I just want to buy the correct ball and install it correctly before I leave to go pick it up

That’s an Andersen hitch and Andersen adapter but it sure doesn’t look like it’s attached to an Escape trailer??
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
That’s an Andersen hitch and Andersen adapter but it sure doesn’t look like it’s attached to an Escape trailer??
I don't see any of the trailer in the photos; what is visible is a MorRyde rubber-cushioned pin box. This is a replacement lower section, which bolts into the upper section which is welded to the trailer; the previous owner may have changed it. The only thing that looks strange (other than the use of this type of pin box on such a light trailer) is that the part code (RPB72-1621HD) is for the MorRyde product to fit the Lippert 1621 pin box, not the Lippert 1716 normally found on a 5.0TA; the two are not interchangeable, and the bolt holes would not line up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #58

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't see any of the trailer in the photos; what is visible is a MorRyde rubber-cushioned pin box. This is a replacement lower section, which bolts into the upper section which is welded to the trailer; the previous owner may have changed it. The only thing that looks strange (other than the use of this type of pin box on such a light trailer) is that the part code (RPB72-1621HD) is for the MorRyde product to fit the Lippert 1621 pin box, not the Lippert 1716 normally found on a 5.0TA; the two are not interchangeable, and the bolt holes would not line up.
🤔 My point exactly......
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote