5.0TA Pin Box Clearance. Pic worth 1000 words. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2021, 10:41 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape
5.0TA Pin Box Clearance. Pic worth 1000 words.

Hi all 5.0'ers. I'm on the list for a Nov delivery. Have a 2020 RAM 1500, 6.4 bed, Hemi. From all the great reading here, I understand I'm good with this RAM. However, with camping season beginning, I was hoping to find pics showing close-ups of the pin box in relation to the truck bed walls on the side & in the front. Can't find any pics like that. Most pics found are distance shots showing turn radius and leveling. I'm using a steel rail mount Anderson and planning on the lift kit.

Thinking there are many others with other trucks waiting on 5.0's wondering about turn radius and what the pin box bed clearance looks like "close up". So, if your out & about & can grab a couple of pics, it would be greatly appreciated!
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Home from the Spa!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
Hi all 5.0'ers. I'm on the list for a Nov delivery. Have a 2020 RAM 1500, 6.4 bed, Hemi. From all the great reading here, I understand I'm good with this RAM. However, with camping season beginning, I was hoping to find pics showing close-ups of the pin box in relation to the truck bed walls on the side & in the front. Can't find any pics like that. Most pics found are distance shots showing turn radius and leveling. I'm using a steel rail mount Anderson and planning on the lift kit.

Thinking there are many others with other trucks waiting on 5.0's wondering about turn radius and what the pin box bed clearance looks like "close up". So, if your out & about & can grab a couple of pics, it would be greatly appreciated!
Hi: Jack... Unlike Key West, here in South Wet Ontario our trailer is still in storage. Our Husky 16K hitch has been in 3 trucks now. I only have a few pic's of the hitch/pin box setup. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1050271.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
It’s a ‘21 GMC and I’ll have it hooked up next week for a trip but here’s a couple of shots of my Andersen gooseneck mount with the pin box turned back for proper (according to the Andersen instruction sheet measurements) tailgate clearance. If you need a specific shot, lemme know and I’ll try to take it next week if no one else has what you need.
Attached Thumbnails
A8CE86D8-DD4C-45E6-B0C4-8F8902E24388.jpeg   16948A68-E5CE-4A91-B316-28FF44B4BD63a.jpeg  
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Check your spare tire before hooking up, you may need to replace your temporary spare with a full sized one.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
It’s a ‘21 GMC and I’ll have it hooked up next week for a trip but here’s a couple of shots of my Andersen gooseneck mount with the pin box turned back for proper (according to the Andersen instruction sheet measurements) tailgate clearance. If you need a specific shot, lemme know and I’ll try to take it next week if no one else has what you need.
Thank you very much. The first pic is the one I wanted. Looks like I see the pin on the hitch almost at the same height as the truck bed rail. Then the pin box goes up at a steep angle well clear of the truck bed rail top if you take a turn. I was having trouble envisioning how soon the pinbox angle went up and over the truck bed rails. So if I add a bed cover rail, the pinbox will still clear that,, going above the truck rails within just 3-5 inches from the pin when during a turn. Looks good!
Old 04-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jack... Unlike Key West, here in South Wet Ontario our trailer is still in storage. Our Husky 16K hitch has been in 3 trucks now. I only have a few pic's of the hitch/pin box setup. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
We head north for cooler weather. Good weather is over soon here. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2021, 02:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Check your spare tire before hooking up, you may need to replace your temporary spare with a full sized one.
Thanks. Got that covered as part of the deal with Chrysler dealer.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:57 PM   #8

Maybe this is more what you’re looking for, although this is an Andersen raised ultimate hitch 3217...specific to the truck and BW ball hitch...the second shot was trying to determine depth/length a tool box would have to be and not hit the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
9C009B38-1C12-4470-8594-7B0F2C49A226a.jpg   F09C2C8C-418F-474B-8471-5D450C3AA53Da.jpg  
Old 04-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Maybe this is more what you’re looking for, although this is an Andersen raised ultimate hitch 3217...specific to the truck and BW ball hitch...the second shot was trying to determine depth/length a tool box would have to be and not hit the hitch.
Thanks for the pics. I have the steel version which is smaller. The pic I'm looking for is a 5.0 hooked up to an Anderson but Truck turned to a max turning angle. I'd like to see how close the 5.0 trailer's "pin box" gets to the truck bed side rails. From a previous pic in this thread it looks like the pinbox angle is steep and gets above the truck bed side rails very quickly about 5 inches out from the pin. I have 20 inches from the pin to the truck bed side rails.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:11 PM   #10

That’s going to be based completely on your truck and your setup with the hitch, the instructions are great and give all the measurements you’ll need, and they’re probably on the website in the installation/manuals section. There’s a bunch of that info here as well. I’ve got picts of my truck hooked up and backed as far an angle as I can just to know where that point is before I hit the truck cab, as that is the limiting factor, more than the pin box hitting the bed sides. Your hitch ball height, bed rail height and pin box height (when level) all factor into that.....
Old 04-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
That’s going to be based completely on your truck and your setup with the hitch, the instructions are great and give all the measurements you’ll need, and they’re probably on the website in the installation/manuals section. There’s a bunch of that info here as well. I’ve got picts of my truck hooked up and backed as far an angle as I can just to know where that point is before I hit the truck cab, as that is the limiting factor, more than the pin box hitting the bed sides. Your hitch ball height, bed rail height and pin box height (when level) all factor into that.....
Indeed, there is a lot of info on the ETI website in terms of height measurements but no length measurements so it's difficult to calculate how fast the pinbox rises from the pin. It does rise 6 inches from the pin to the bottom of the pinbox bracket on the trailer. There's nothing on how long that distance is.

Based on a pic here it looks to rise very quickly and may be above the truck bed side rails in as little of 5 inches out from the pin in some trucks, which can vary as you mention. However I think it would vary no more than a few inches from the pin to any model truck is my best guess so far.

Distance to hitting the cab at max turn is not what I'm looking at in this case which is very setup & truck model dependent, as mentioned.

I'd like to know how close the pin box gets to the truck bed side rails. My guess is the pinbox rises above the bed side rails very quickly half a foot out from the pin. It should clear my bed cover rails and the truck rails by quite a bit is my best guess, so far. Thanks much!
Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Indeed, there is a lot of info on the ETI website in terms of height measurements but no length measurements so it's difficult to calculate how fast the pinbox rises from the pin. It does rise 6 inches from the pin to the bottom of the pinbox bracket on the trailer. There's nothing on how long that distance is.
The installation manual for Lippert standard pin boxes provides key dimensions, which should be helpful. The model used by Escape is the 1716 (OEM code) or L07 (replacement code).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The installation manual for Lippert standard pin boxes provides key dimensions, which should be helpful. The model used by Escape is the 1716 (OEM code) or L07 (replacement code).
Thanks! I'm set. Someone send some close up pics of the pinbox over the tailgate & over the truck bed rails in a max turn. Plenty of clearance for my bed cover rails...phew!
Old 10-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 F250
90 degrees with good truck clearance

Quote:

F250 BW Companion with turn-a-ball.
Attached Thumbnails
E0D9DBE4-60C8-4900-9EF7-F646814551B9.jpg   D5C20984-1BF2-47C2-8173-C188994475BA.jpg  
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote