5TA hitch choices - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
5TA hitch choices

What types of hitches do you all use and why? How much space in the truck box does each choice take up? I have a 6 ft 6 inch box and want to be sure i can put a storage box in front of the hitch. Also what type of hitch is easiest to hook up, i want my wife to be able to do this easily.

Thanks
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
I have Andersen in a 6.5 gmc - large toolbox at front of box - plenty more room.

World of wives and every one different. Good luck there.
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
F150 with 6.5 bed B&W turnover ball and an andersen ultimate aluminum hitch. There is plenty of room for a front mounted tool box when the hitch is installed.

The andersen hitch is bulky in size but only 35 lbs according to the manufacturer. I am very happy with the hitch so far. You will need a torque wrench to install the hitch but it's a simple process in all.

I have no complaints at all regarding the hitch. I use safety chains with mine so I have to crawl up into the truck bed to hitch/unhitch. That isn't the most ergonomic maneuver without a ladder (I use my tires as a step).

Aligning with the hitch can be a bit of a challenge at first but it gets easier with practice.

I went with this setup to keep my bed free of mounting rails when I'm not towing, the light weight of the hitch and how the trailer can articulate on a ball mount vs standard fifth wheel kingpin type.

I bought the andersen hitch on amazon. I bought the turnover ball from Trademasters in Chilliwack who also performed the install. I also had them mount a 7 pin trailer connector in the truck bed for added convenience.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:14 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I don't think the brand or type of 5th wheel hitch makes much difference in the room a hitch takes up in the bed. The differences are in if there are rails in the bed or not and the weight.

I have a B&W Patriot on rails, the installation calls for the same measurement from the tail gate to the hitch no matter the bed length. Mine being an 8'er, I have 42" between the cab side wall and the hitch. If it was a 6'6" bed it'd be 28". This is when the hitch is installed according to manufacturer specs. I believe when one uses Hitch Masters in Chilliwack for an install they vary a bit from this, at least for short beds.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
2019 Ram 1500, 6-4" bed, rail mounted Demco Recon hitch and tool box in the front of the bed. With the bed you have with most hitches you will have room to mount a tool box in front of the hitch. I chose the Demco Recon because I wanted a traditional 5th wheel hitch and it is lighter than most at 94 pounds and also has a smaller footprint in the bed than most traditional hitches, leaving more room for cargo (in my case firewood) stacked around it.

The Recon comes in both rail mounted and gooseneck ball mounted versions. If you go with a gooseneck ball mount and choose the Andersen Ultimate hitch, a popular combination, the one drawback for you is that the base of the Andersen gooseneck version is very large and comes forward far enough that you would not have room for a toolbox in the front of the bed. The Demco gooseneck mount is smaller and would not conflict with a toolbox.

Rail mounts give you more choices of hitch - many traditional hitches come in only a rail mounted version. A removable gooseneck ball will give you a flat bed surface when your hitch is out if that matters to you. If you search the forum you will see positive comments about pretty much every brand and type of fifth wheel hitch, it comes down more to just personal preference and, in some cases if your payload capacity is not large, hitch weight. You will find that the 5.0TA tows like a dream with whatever hitch you choose.
Attached Thumbnails
Recon Hitch 1.jpg  
Old 05-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Anderson Ultimate steel hitch on rails in 18 Canyon with 6'2" bed. Personal Caddy behind cab.
Attached Thumbnails
Ready_for_5th_Wheel_DSC_1922.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
Also what type of hitch is easiest to hook up, i want my wife to be able to do this easily.

Thanks
'Easily' is really subjective. I'm a solo traveler and towed a bumper pull travel trailer for 12 years before I bought Ten Forward. I've found a bumper pull a LOT easier to hook up. WHY? Because both of my feet stayed on the ground. Backing up and making certain the jaws of the 5th wheel hitch (MY setup) requires me to either 'hike up' or use a ladder. I know I absolutely, positively must be certain I have a positive latch before I pull away. And that doesn't matter if you're using a standard 5th wheel hitch or a gooseneck hitch. You don't dare pull out until you know it's 'safe.' The big difference IMHO is a standard 5th wheel, I can be a bit off center and the movement between the truck and trailer allows the king pin to latch. Back in the days of a 'ball' I needed to be 'almost' over the top before I knew I could hook up properly.

Good luck on your decision. I made mine and I'm happy with it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
'Easily' is really subjective. I'm a solo traveler and towed a bumper pull travel trailer for 12 years before I bought Ten Forward. I've found a bumper pull a LOT easier to hook up. WHY? Because both of my feet stayed on the ground. Backing up and making certain the jaws of the 5th wheel hitch (MY setup) requires me to either 'hike up' or use a ladder. I know I absolutely, positively must be certain I have a positive latch before I pull away. And that doesn't matter if you're using a standard 5th wheel hitch or a gooseneck hitch. You don't dare pull out until you know it's 'safe.' The big difference IMHO is a standard 5th wheel, I can be a bit off center and the movement between the truck and trailer allows the king pin to latch. Back in the days of a 'ball' I needed to be 'almost' over the top before I knew I could hook up properly.

Good luck on your decision. I made mine and I'm happy with it.
🤔The ball hitch on the Anderson is a little more forgiving, as long as the ball hits the cone it pulls it right in. The white line is my center front to back, another line on the front of pinbox is my center left to right. When you lower onto the ball if it’s not seated there’s no way you can engage the locking pin so you know it’s secure.😎
Attached Thumbnails
D482C3F5-4948-4A6C-90C6-6EDC2C936150.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Kent did you have to get special bracket for the safety chains or did the rails have bracket
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔The ball hitch on the Anderson is a little more forgiving, as long as the ball hits the cone it pulls it right in. The white line is my center front to back, another line on the front of pinbox is my center left to right. When you lower onto the ball if it’s not seated there’s no way you can engage the locking pin so you know it’s secure.😎
I’m just starting to look at fifth wheel setups, what is the manufacturer and part number for this coupler? Is this a bolt on?
Old 05-11-2019, 12:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I’m just starting to look at fifth wheel setups, what is the manufacturer and part number for this coupler? Is this a bolt on?

https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...onnection.aspx

The gooseneck version requires a ball in the bed to hook it to. The rail version requires standard 5 th wheel rails.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Everything is bolt on. Got the hitch and mounting hardware from Etrailer.com. The rail mount is Reese, hitch Anderson. A conventional 5th wheel hitch would fit right on the rails although I don’t ever see going that way as I couldn’t be happier with the Anderson. The only drilling required was through the bed. Mounting hardware is model specific so no frame drilling required.The entire install was done in 1 day, never did 1 before. Could do it in 1/2 the time now. Hitch comes out with 4 pins, pretty sure my wife could do it if she had to.😎
Old 05-11-2019, 06:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
Kent did you have to get special bracket for the safety chains or did the rails have bracket
This is my set up, chain brackets fit into rails with pins. Think they where Reese parts.
Attached Thumbnails
D4AB8930-2C71-4A27-9245-0AC86FB5603D.jpg  
Old 05-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
This is my set up, chain brackets fit into rails with pins. Think they where Reese parts.
I can’t believe how simple this is, great product.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
I can’t believe how simple this is, great product.
When we were deciding, Chotch sent us great pictures/drawing, and we realized the gooseneck version would take up too much room in our pickup bed for trikes. We love the hitch, and with the lift kit, a trike fits without the hitch hitting the tires. This would NOT have happened if we had purchased the gooseneck version.

Food for thought!

Perry