5th Wheel Hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
5th Wheel Hitch

Some questions for current Escape 5th wheel owners who reside in the U.S. and needed to install a 5th wheel hitch prior to picking up at the factory.

Did you have your hitched installed in U.S. prior to picking up your 5th wheel trailer or did you have it installed in Chilliwack.

If you answered in Chilliwack did you use Trademasters or other vendor?

Also, any pro's / con's to either method would be great? Some maybe obvious, but others may not.

I was looking at Curt A16, but now looking at the Demco Hijacker 5th wheel hitch.

Regards
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA
Kent, We had a Curt 16 installed in Arizona prior to taking delivery of our 2015 5.0TA. We also had a slider installed for the hitch, the slider does add a lot of weight which impacts the GVW. In our case we have never had to use the slider feature. Our truck has a six and a half foot bed. As for where to purchase a hitch, It might be less expensive to purchase and install the hitch in Chilliwack, I would suspect the exchange rate would influence that decision. Also note that the trailer can not have your personal items in it when the trailer is imported so whatever you are carrying in the bed will have to fit around the hitch until pickup in the US. Dan
oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I wanted a specific hitch other then on what ETI provides, so I purchased it and did the install myself at home when I found the only local place that installs hitches around here spends the winters in FL and wouldn't be back in time.

Had ETI sold the hitch I wanted I would have had it done there.

In hindsight I should have called Trademasters and asked if they'd install the B&W. Wouldn't mind trying out the Anderson either now that folks are happy with theirs. I remove the B&W a lot, works great, but it's heavy.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Trademasters. Easy. Reese followed me over while I dropped off the truck. Went back for orientation and final payment. Picked up the truck, hooked up the trailer and drove away. This was before the Sumas pick up was required.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have to say, this hitch conundrum was one of the reasons I did not go with the 5.0TA model. Driving out without a trailer but fully loaded with camping gear, having 2 dogs, having to unload the truck someplace to allow the hitch install, going back after hitching and then loading the trailer. All of these initial reasons in addition losing the truck bed and the additional weight pulling around. After towing the 21 for more than 2 years, the 19 feels like a sports car vs a family sedan.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have to say, this hitch conundrum was one of the reasons I did not go with the 5.0TA model. Driving out without a trailer but fully loaded with camping gear, having 2 dogs, having to unload the truck someplace to allow the hitch install, going back after hitching and then loading the trailer. All of these initial reasons in addition losing the truck bed and the additional weight pulling around. After towing the 21 for more than 2 years, the 19 feels like a sports car vs a family sedan.
I think you are making it out to be WAY more of an issue that it really is. Definitely not a good reason for not going with the 5.0.

Besides, one only loses a very small part of a truck bed to the hitch, and this is only when towing if you pop the hitch out when not towing. A few pounds weight is no big deal if you have a pickup.

Even if getting a hitch installed in Chilliwack, it is about 5 minutes time to take a few boxes and bags out to allow the installation, and throw them back in.

I do realize that the 5.0 will not fit the bill for many, especially those who want to use an SUV as a vehicle. This is what is so nice about the variety of choice Escape offers.

Love the one you're with, right?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I were as close to the factory as you are or some other members, my decision may have been different, but the unknowns far outweighed the knowns 3000 miles and 5 days away.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Since we're on the subject, anyone want to recommend a particular 5th wheel hitch that is light and easy to remove from the bed rails? I've seen lots of positive comments on the Patriot (18k?) but since the 5.0 is so light, I was wondering if anyone had positive comments on a lighter-weight hitch. I imagine that I'll be taking it out and reinstalling fairly often. Thanks in advance!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If I were as close to the factory as you are or some other members, my decision may have been different, but the unknowns far outweighed the knowns 3000 miles and 5 days away.
It is a 10 hr day drive each way for me. My point though, is just that this is one very, very small detail in the desire to purchase a 5.0. Much less of a hassle than buying an new Escape every couple years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Since we're on the subject, anyone want to recommend a particular 5th wheel hitch that is light and easy to remove from the bed rails? I've seen lots of positive comments on the Patriot (18k?) but since the 5.0 is so light, I was wondering if anyone had positive comments on a lighter-weight hitch. I imagine that I'll be taking it out and reinstalling fairly often. Thanks in advance!
Without reservation I would suggest the Andersen Ultimate. I had it over the side to my wife who has no issue lifting it over her head. I take mine out all the time. I use the gooseneck mount, but it would be just as easy, or even easier with the rail mount hitch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Without reservation I would suggest the Andersen Ultimate.
I'm considering using an Andersen Ultimate in a F-150 with a 5.5' bed. Does anyone know if this combination will provide enough clearance between the front of the trailer and the back windows of the truck?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #11

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
I have an Anderson on rails in a 2013 F150 with a 5.5' bed. I love it! It comes out easily and is very light. I covet Jim's with his goose neck install with a disappearing ball, but mine is great.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post

I have the Patriot, it is indeed a very good hitch. Easy to use, once you're used to backing into it, and very solidly built.

At 60 yo I can pull it out and put it back in, which I do roughly every other week, not easy but not that bad either. I can however see in the not too distant future I will not be willing to do this. My truck is 5 yo, when the truck needs replacing I'll be going to the Anderson. At least that's the plan...

As far as weight ratings go... most smaller hitches are either 15 or 16k, the Anderson is 20k, all are overkill so it should not be a deciding factor.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I have an F 150 SCREW cab with the short (5.5') bed and I plan on using the Anderson Ultimate rail mount hitch. Anxiously waiting on pictures and data about the new 2017 5.0 TA, though.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
Anxiously waiting on pictures and data about the new 2017 5.0 TA, though.
Pretty sure you're not the only one in that boat. One of the issues with knowing about it since before the public did, is that I have to wait even longer.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Regarding the Anderson Hitch,

Does it have height adjust built in like a standard 5th wheel hitch?
If not how do you adjust the height?

What I like about the Curt A16 and Demco Hijacker 5th wheel hitches is you can pull one pin and remove the 5th wheel head, then remove the remaining assembly making each piece lighter to remove. I know there is another another one you can pull the head by lifting two handles, but not sure which one as I write this.

Has anyone asked what Reace has to say about adding the adapter to the pin of trailer in order to use the Anderson hitch?
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:15 PM   #16

Lots of good info on the Andersen page. The height is adjustable on the ball.

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Prod...k-version.aspx

I bet I could remove the Andersen Ultimate faster than I could these other hitches, but the time is not that big of a deal anyway. It is just way easier with the lightweight Andersen. It now takes me less than a minute on, or off.

I would bet Escape would install the King Pin Coupler, as it does not take long at all, but I would ask. I just plan to have the few tools on me to do it myself when I go to pick up. Putting it on my temp trailer took about 5 minutes. 4 set screws and two bolts to torque and done.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I assume the king pin adaptor would need to be mounted at the Big Boy parking lot in Sumas, WA. for us Americans. I will bring a torque wrench and all tools needed for this.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I know there is another another one you can pull the head by lifting two handles, but not sure which one as I write this.
That would be the B&W Patriot.
Wild guess.. The head is about 25 lbs, the base around 75 lbs.

Removing the head is not as easy as just lifting the handles and lifting it off. You have to rock it side to side while pulling it up, it's on there pretty good. At least it is after a couples years of use, seem to recall it was easier before.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #19

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
One advantage of rails is having a place to put the chain loops. (Some jurisdictions require chains because the Anderson has a ball.)

You can see the Curt 16000 Fifth Wheel Safety Chain Loops on the rail next to the hitch pedestal. I have the Anderson chains option and hook onto these.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
I assume the king pin adaptor would need to be mounted at the Big Boy parking lot in Sumas, WA. for us Americans. I will bring a torque wrench and all tools needed for this.
That is a possiblility, but the hitch could easily be looked at as part of the trailer, and not a personal item. Not much needed for tools, and good to have them along. I always carry the torque wrench and 15/16" socket for removal and reinstallation of the hitch, and just keep the 1/4" hex head socket on board just in case.