5th Wheel Hitch Installation - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #41

Trailer: none
Mike, I think it’s “short-beditis” causing most of the fear.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
In that worst case scenario wouldn't you just drive over to Trademasters and have them fix you up? Either rails are installed properly or they aren't, it's not really guess work.

I think everyone should pick the trailer that works best for them, but many of the fears of the 5.0 TA are imagined. This is coming from a first time travel trailer puller and never before 5th wheel owner. I would recommend focussing on length, weight, and layout first. (or first, second and third)
👍😎👍 Goes double for me. When we saw our first 50TA we knew that was the trailer we wanted end of story. Didn’t even have a pickup or ever tow a travel trailer. Did my research on truck, hitch, hard tonneau covers and couldn’t be happier with the setup I have. Got what we want no comprises.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #43

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have almost the same set up 2017 5.0 TA trailer and 2017 F150 truck 2.7 short bed-love it
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Arnie.

Thanks for the information, I just read the accompanying email from Trademasters and you're right, they are planning on installing the actual hitch as well which is where the extra money comes in. I'm going to call Jemal up to discuss further. I could bring my tools and do it myself, it sounds really easy to install and save me $100.

I also agree with Rick, I know that I could probably install this thing myself, my buddy has a well equipped shop, but I plan on showing up to Escape Trailers on May 22nd, completing my orientation, hooking up my new 5.0ta and driving to Osooyos the next day for some R&R and cold sudsies, don't want no bad surprises and I heard from lots of folks on this forum that Trademasters do beautiful work. I guess that will put us in Osooyos a couple of days early?

I'll have a bunch of craft beers from Ontario with me so if anybody wants to stop by for a Muskoka Lager or a Stack Saturday Night Ale please feel free.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #45

Trailer: 2018 5ota
Andersen

Use the Andersen ultimate and the gooseneck adapter. Works fine in 6.5 foot bed. Adaptors offsets ball farther back.
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #46

Trailer: 2018 5.0
I think I just crewed up.

I have the 5.0 ordered and scheduled pick up in early March. I just picked up my Anderson Ultimate with B&W Gooseneck install this morning. Unfortunately I just recieved the Escape Forum email recap just now and I was reading this post. Now I am thinking my install won’t work. My clearance from window to center of Anderson ball is about 29” and from forward wall panel of truck bed is 26”. The B&W hitch was installed underneath in front of rear axle, but I am thinking it should have been behind rear axle.
Any insights would be great. Concerned.
Cary4run00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
I have a 2017 F-150 eco boost and 5.0TA. I bought a PullRite Superglide #2700 at Camping World. It was much cheaper than at Trademasters but Trademasters did install it for me. They were great to work with.

The hitch has worked extremely well. We took a 7000 mile trip to Alaska and back last summer with no problems. I got 16 mpg on the flat and 12 on the hills.

The 5.0TA has met all our needs and is very easy to work with. We got the U shape bench arrangement but removed the table to give more room and an open feel. Enjoy yourselves!!!
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I'd contact Reace at Escape and talk directly with him.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 5ota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary4run00 View Post
I have the 5.0 ordered and scheduled pick up in early March. I just picked up my Anderson Ultimate with B&W Gooseneck install this morning. Unfortunately I just recieved the Escape Forum email recap just now and I was reading this post. Now I am thinking my install won’t work. My clearance from window to center of Anderson ball is about 29” and from forward wall panel of truck bed is 26”. The B&W hitch was installed underneath in front of rear axle, but I am thinking it should have been behind rear axle.

The ball on the ultimate is offset to the rear. The adaptor to change from 5th to ball is offset also.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190130_100503.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	36732Click image for larger version

Name:	20190130_100530.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	36733
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #50

Thank you for responding. So perhaps the adapter will provide enough clearance. I called Escape and Reese is out on “holiday” for a while. They gave me Trademaster number who does many installs for Escape 5.0. Waiting to hear back.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:41 PM   #51
Djs

Trailer: 2017 escape 17b
Do you have a short bed or long bed f150?
If you have a short bed consider a slide hitch. I knocked out about a thousand dollars worth of rear cab windows before I got one. You might not have this problem as the eti 5th wheel is narrower, but check dimensions to make sure nose of trailer will clear cab when making tight
turns
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #52
Djs

From what I hear, the fifth wheel pin should sit over the center of the rear axle. Moving the stationary hitch 5" rearward might cause stability problems? There is a great slide hitch that automatically move the hitch pin rearward when you turn but it it is a little pricey. You might not have this issue with narrower escape. Ask Reese.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:56 PM   #53
Djs

When I bought my slide hitch I didn't have to move the rails. It pinned right on the way they were.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:03 PM   #54

Thanks DJ for the response. I already have the Andersen ultimate installed with B&W gooseneck. Through my research today I believe I will be okay because the Escape tapers in in the front (that sits over the bed). So narrower in the front than back, this giving more space for sharpe turns. Others have used same set up with no problems. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djs View Post
From what I hear, the fifth wheel pin should sit over the center of the rear axle. Moving the stationary hitch 5" rearward might cause stability problems?
The conventionally recommended pin position is slightly ahead of the rear axle; that's where off-the-shelf vehicle-specific brackets will normally place the hitch. A more rearward position would be a concern with high enough pin weight, but generally not with the pin weight of a 5.0TA. It seems to me that if a truck can handle 500 pounds of tongue weight four feet behind the axle on a conventional hitch, it can handle 700 pounds pounds of pin weight a few inches behind the axle on a fifth-wheel hitch or Andersen ball. Now, try a big fifth-wheel with a ton (literally) of pin weight, and it's a different matter.

Quote:
There is a great slide hitch that automatically move the hitch pin rearward when you turn but it it is a little pricey.
Yes, the best-known is probably the SuperGlide from PullRite, but there are (or have been) others.

Quote:
You might not have this issue with narrower escape. Ask Reese.
Reace provides a suggested cab-to-pin distance which can normally be achieved with a fixed hitch by non-standard mounting of the hitch, or incorporating the offset of the Andersen Ultimate hitch system, in pickup boxes at least 5.5 feet in length. The recommended distance generally allows sufficient turning angle of the relatively narrow (compared to common fifth-wheel trailers) 5.0TA without resorting to a slider hitch.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:38 AM   #56

Brian B-P,
Thank you very much for your insights. Very helpful. One won’t think it would be that difficult and there would be more assistance offered by Escape. It’s a big deal to get it right especially if you’re coming across country to pick up your new camper. For the most part I have been pleased with Eacapes’s customer service but this is an area they could enhance. Hard to believe Reese is the only person that can assist you. I have called a couple of times to Escape on this subject and no one knows anything to help you but Reese, and his name is only suggested by this forum. Escape doesn’t say, “let me let you talk to Reese”. It’s not like a F150 short-bed is not one of the ,if not the most popular truck in America. Shouldn’t be this difficult and would be to the best interest of Escape to make this process easier for their new customers. They should offer a video or some “off-the-shelf” material that provides recommendations for the F150 and the other few major brands.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:26 AM   #57

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The advantage of a small family owned business is many, nowhere else would the owner make a cross country trip to fix an issue which Reace did a couple of years ago. The disadvantage is he designed and put the whole thing together, so others defer to his experience.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:00 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
We have a 2018 5.0 picked up August of last year. 2015 Ford F-150 super crew with 5.5 bed. We live in Southeast Missouri and chose to have Trademasters do the install of our Anderson ultimate hitch. Did not want to get to Escape on pick-up day and find out the hitch would not work. Cost of installation was not much different from install from local shop.
Bob and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:54 AM   #59

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Canyon/Colorado short bed

Move the Andersen Ultimate rails center point 6" toward the tailgate from directly over the axle. This provides a great turn radius, walk behind room with the gate down, only 1-2" of "squat" when lowered on the ball, more room in the bed for stuff. There will be about 800# left over before you reach GVWR. I have 5000+ miles in all possible road conditions and have had zero problems. It follows like a puppy. Installation was by Trademasters.
Note: The Andersen receiver on the camper can be rotated. Reese swiveled mine so that the it's oriented toward the camper. I test drove it a bit the other direction and it didn't seem to make much difference but moved it back. Also, the aluminum frame is offset and can be rotated 180 which adds another customizing dimension for this hitch.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #60

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary4run00 View Post
Brian B-P,
Thank you very much for your insights. Very helpful. One won’t think it would be that difficult and there would be more assistance offered by Escape. It’s a big deal to get it right especially if you’re coming across country to pick up your new camper. For the most part I have been pleased with Eacapes’s customer service but this is an area they could enhance. Hard to believe Reese is the only person that can assist you. I have called a couple of times to Escape on this subject and no one knows anything to help you but Reese, and his name is only suggested by this forum. Escape doesn’t say, “let me let you talk to Reese”. It’s not like a F150 short-bed is not one of the ,if not the most popular truck in America. Shouldn’t be this difficult and would be to the best interest of Escape to make this process easier for their new customers. They should offer a video or some “off-the-shelf” material that provides recommendations for the F150 and the other few major brands.
Hi: Cary4run00... Talking to Reace about a 5.0TA is relevant because that's their trailer of choice for travelling. He also uses an F150 CC 5'5" bed to pull with, Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie "Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt".
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote