5th wheel rail placement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 in June 21
5th wheel rail placement

I have a 2021 F150 4x4 Supercrew 5.7 bed EB 3.5 truck and a 5.0 w/ high lift on order with a June completion date. I want to use the Anderson ultimate hitch, with rail mounts, if possible. So far, it's been a little difficult to find rail kits that are listed as compatible with the 2021 F150. The Reese website indicates there is a universal rail kit from husky and one from tow right that would be compatible. They also show a Reese rail kit that is supposed to be a custom fit for the F150 with no drilling necessary in the frame. (56034-53)

So a couple of questions. Should I have the installer simply follow the instructions that come with the kit, as far as rail placement goes? Does it matter whether I go with the custom fit rail kit vs a universal rail kit? If all rails go in a standard location, which is centered over the axle, does the only real difference in the kits come down to the mounts for the rails?

In the Anderson hitch instructions, one of the measurements they mention, is from the furthest front corner of the trailer to the center of the king pin. Does anyone know what that measurement is? Would that measurement be the same whether or not your pin box is in the extracted vs retracted position?

** Additional information. My bed rails are at 56" but my tailgate is a bit taller due to the built-in-step apparatus. It measures 58" at it's highest point. That's why I went with the high lift.
ksfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
It's generally better to go with the custom fit rail kit - they make those for each truck because every model has unique quirks to fitting the brackets in that the rails bolt to, and with the custom kit there will be brackets and instructions specific to your truck. With a universal kit the installer may have to do some cutting, welding or other modification to get everything to work, and the results can vary depending on the skill of the installer.

It's pretty common when a new truck model is introduced that it takes the rail manufacturers a while to come out with truck-specific kits. I bought my 2019 Ram when the first ones rolled out and no one had a kit yet, but I had many months before my trailer was ready and during that time they became available. If Reese has a kit specific to your 2021 F150 you should be good to go.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #3

Thanks David!
Old 03-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfisk View Post
So far, it's been a little difficult to find rail kits that are listed as compatible with the 2021 F150. The Reese website indicates there is a universal rail kit from husky and one from tow right that would be compatible. They also show a Reese rail kit that is supposed to be a custom fit for the F150 with no drilling necessary in the frame. (56034-53)
If it mentions Husky, I don't think you're looking at the Reese website. "Reese-hitches" is not the real Reese website; reeseprod.com is the real Reese site. But yes, Reese 50087 is a custom-fit bracket kit for an F-150 including 2021 (and from 2015-2020 as well), Reese 56034 is another bracket set for the same years of F-150, and 56034-53 is a kit of the 56034 brackets plus a pair of rails. These two Reese bracket kits are similar but not identical, and place the rails in the same location (centred about one inch ahead of the axle). The differences in detail can be seen in the installation instructions linked to the product pages; they use different holes in the rails, placing the bolts through the bed floor in different locations.

Quote:
Does it matter whether I go with the custom fit rail kit vs a universal rail kit?
Either can work, but universal kits may require drilling holes in the frame and may not allow placement in the desired location, while "custom fit" kits are normally designed to use existing holes and result in rail placement in the typical (at or just ahead of the axle) location. As David explained, the results with a universal kit depend on the installer's skill and effort.

Quote:
If all rails go in a standard location, which is centered over the axle, does the only real difference in the kits come down to the mounts for the rails?
While most truck-specific kits result in similar positions for the rails, they're not necessarily exactly the same, as there is no single "correct" position; normally it is centred just ahead of the axle, not directly over it. But yes, the difference in kits is the mounts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:39 PM   #5

You are correct...I was not looking at the official Reese website. Thank you for alerting me to that! I really appreciate all of information and the helpful responses from you and David! Thanks guys.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I installed the Curt 16442 bracket kit on my 2019 F150 XLT with 6.5 ft bed. It appears to be similar to the Reese 56034 referenced by Brian B-P. It seems that the 2015 to 2021 F150 bed structures are just about identical. From my research these vehicle specific kits install in defined positions utilizing pre-existing holes in the frame as opposed to universal kits which can be installed by drilling into the frame at any position. Specifically both the Curt and Reese kits install so that the rear rails are centered over the rear cross member bed support with the attachment bolts straddling that support. That places the rear rail about 28 and 9/16 inches from the rear of the bed irrespective of bed length, and the center between the rails at about 2" forward of the rear axle. Longer beds increase the distance between the rails and the cab. I found that the most difficult aspect of the install was getting my torque wrench and socket into the very tight spaces. My dealer agreed to torque the bolts when I brought it in for a scheduled maintenance visit.

With the 6.5 ft. bed that position allows a 90 degree turning angle. It also appears that that defined position allows the tailgate to be down when hitching although very tight. My 5.0 has just been completed and I have finalized purchase. I intend to register the trailer this week with the documentation provided by ETI. Pickup is scheduled for April 12 in Sumas, WA and returning home to RI about 1 month later.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:22 PM   #7

Thank you, George! That is very helpful.