7-way connector mount options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
7-way connector mount options

I have a 7-way connector on the Forester that looks like this and hangs a bit below the bumper, and the other day I backed up and hit it on something and broke the casing. (Rigid and not very strong plastic- the mount is fine but it broke off the plug- it was an integrated mount.)

Anyway, although the wiring is all still good, I want to replace it, and I was wondering if there is anything that isn't so vulnerable to damage. I can see backing into a curb or something while camping and then not having lights. I'm considering just using one without a mount and zip-tying it to the car somewhere.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I have a 7-way connector on the Forester that looks like this and hangs a bit below the bumper, and the other day I backed up and hit it on something and broke the casing. (Rigid and not very strong plastic- the mount is fine but it broke off the plug- it was an integrated mount.)

Anyway, although the wiring is all still good, I want to replace it, and I was wondering if there is anything that isn't so vulnerable to damage. I can see backing into a curb or something while camping and then not having lights. I'm considering just using one without a mount and zip-tying it to the car somewhere.
What year model forester and how good are your fabrication / modification skills ? I want to see the back of the car if it can be done. Some of the Tacoma guys have changed the bracket to point the socket directly down to the ground. then the only time you have any low hanging part is when your towing which I am going to guess you are not likely to hit a parking lot bumper but you may have to be careful on sleeping policemen :} Not so much on a truck but I do not know the ground clearance on the Forester. Some have also found it is possible to cut it into the bumper next to the license plate just depends on what is back there. Ok just looked a some of them don't think the bumper cut in would work with that style of bumper. It looks like you might be able to put a bracket on the end of the hitch assembly in line with the hitch to keep it at least at that level. IE straight line across the bottom .

Like this or right at the end though I think this option is better.

Cypher
Attached Images

Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #3

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ite/18159.html Square or round hitch style

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ite/18157.html Square
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Thanks, I'll look and see if that would work.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote