7 way plug charge line amp requirement - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Good post. I have an answer. Run the fridge on propane instead, and get solar. We arrive at our destination fully charged.
Spot on. Overkill perhaps, but my plan at this point is to have both effective charging from the tug, and solar. The solar is for certain, the tug wiring is further down the list. What gets done in time, gets done...
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Another alternative for the electrically adventurous is a DC-DC boost converter. I'll not go into details for various reasons, mostly due to the complexity of the design. It won't come from a book...

Robert's solution is a whole lot easier, and it is the one I use.

--
Alan
Yours is another effective solution for dealing with voltage drop.

Here's another - use an inverter in the tug (near the alternator so that it gets the voltage it needs to produce 120 volts, run that back to a multi stage charger in the trailer. Now #12 wire would work fine, maybe even #14. One would want to be a tad careful with that line...

Bottom line is that one way or another proper charge voltage has to be delivered all the way to the battery in the trailer, preferably in a properly controlled, multi stage charge sequence. And when it comes to getting deep cycle batteries charged, 0.5 volts is a big deal. Half a volt too low, and bugger all gets done.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I was wondering...since my 2017 F150 comes stock with an AGM battery now, maybe the charging voltage is higher than the old style lead acid? Did a quick search on the web and did not come up with any info. I guess I will have to try to measure it myself.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I was wondering...since my 2017 F150 comes stock with an AGM battery now, maybe the charging voltage is higher than the old style lead acid? Did a quick search on the web and did not come up with any info. I guess I will have to try to measure it myself.
Charge voltage should be the same, since it's the same basic chemistry. Charge current might be higher, and float might be a bit lower.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote