A hiccup with new F150's - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
While we're on too bad's, it's too bad that the new Ranger isn't yet available and too bad when it is it won't be with the 2.7 and a 10 speed.

Ron
There are a huge number of comments from Ford enthusiasts along those lines. Some have even written to Ford asking why not the 2.7L in a Ranger. The answer seems to be that Ford wanted to differentiate between the Ranger and the F150, and not allow the same powertrain. Hmm. I'm not a marketing guy so no telling if that's rational.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There are a huge number of comments from Ford enthusiasts along those lines. Some have even written to Ford asking why not the 2.7L in a Ranger. The answer seems to be that Ford wanted to differentiate between the Ranger and the F150, and not allow the same powertrain. Hmm. I'm not a marketing guy so no telling if that's rational.
I think it's perfectly rational: if you want an EcoBoost and a 10-speed, you must buy the more expensive F-150; if you do, it is more profitable for them, if you settle for the Ranger, they have sold a cheaper-to-build truck. Win-win
This is perfectly normal, and just a model-to-model version of what normally happens between trim levels within a model. If you want a particular engine, you often must buy a higher trim level, even though the rest of the content of the trim package has no connection to the engine. To get the desired bits, you must buy stuff you don't want, increasing the profitability of the product line.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #23

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think it's perfectly rational: if you want an EcoBoost and a 10-speed, you must buy the more expensive F-150; if you do, it is more profitable for them, if you settle for the Ranger, they have sold a cheaper-to-build truck. Win-win
This is perfectly normal, and just a model-to-model version of what normally happens between trim levels within a model. If you want a particular engine, you often must buy a higher trim level, even though the rest of the content of the trim package has no connection to the engine. To get the desired bits, you must buy stuff you don't want, increasing the profitability of the product line.
Back in the day, speed shops, big and small, would make motor mounts for bigger motors, you'd remove the 4 or 6 cylinder and put in that big block you always wanted anyways. Could do it with cars up to the earl 70's, trucks to the mid-80's, before they added all the pollution control stuff. No argument with pollution control, but I miss the good old days sometimes. Things were sure simpler! This from a guy who went to college with a slide rule...

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Back in the day, speed shops, big and small, would make motor mounts for bigger motors, you'd remove the 4 or 6 cylinder and put in that big block you always wanted anyways. Could do it with cars up to the earl 70's, trucks to the mid-80's...
You can still do that: it was never quite that simple, and now it's just more complicated. Fit is also more of a problem now, since there is less extra space under the hood than there was, as designs are far better optimized. There are even companies specializing in swaps such as GM V8's into Mazda Miatas.

The other big difference is that now the stock engine has the performance that you used to get with the engine swap: my parents full-size Chevy station wagon of 1971 with its 350 V8 had almost exactly the same rated power output as my current stock basic Mazda compact hatchback. While the new Ranger's engine might be considered by some to be inadequate or at least less than ideal, it can put our more power (and even higher torque) than any engine previously offered in the Ranger in North America.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
The fire was at the Meridian Magnesium Products of America plant in Eaton Rapids, Michigan, on May 2.
I bet that was exciting. Magnesium is flammable and the fire is difficult to extinguish.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:10 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Maybe it’s just me but at 6 ft 2” and the far side of 200 lbs , along with arthritic hips and knees , I find it uncomfortable to down right painful to get in ,out of or ride in a small truck or vehicle
We looked at the Ranger and the Colorado and although they are nice vehicles they don’t work for us . When we go camping , the first thing I want to do when we get to our destination is to have a cold beverage and not down a half dozen aspirin.
I’ve never understood the fascination with small vehicles but to each their own .
I may spend a little more for fuel but at this point in my life I don’t care .
Hi: steve dunham... A half a dozen asbirins are good for other things as well!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie; )
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Uhhhh mmm. What’s a slide rule is it one of them new fangled contraptions I heard about
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have fond memories of my dad always using a slide ruler while working on some sort of calculation. He was a life long learner electrical engineer and a PHD in economics. He designed the steering system on the Nautilus and was a professor of economics at Stanford. I really miss him....
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote