A Question About Towing a 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When looking at trucks make sure you compare payload capacities .
Some brands of trucks have a rather low payload and 300 or 400 lbs of payload can make a HUGE difference.
The Ford F-150 is one of the brands with an available
higher payload and towing capacity
Yup, payload is almost always the limiting factor. Please check the door jam stickers on the trucks you look at. Payload is the main reason I went with an F-150.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
I like the tonneau cover for weight / looks but not for security
I have seen several that were opened using a knife
I do admit cussing my topper every time I have to crawl to the front of the truck bed to dig something out .
I use a hard tonneau (molded ABS composite plastic) that wifey and I can lift off easily in under a minute (<50 lbs) which has double key locks.
https://www.undercoverinfo.com/p-371...r-classic.html

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
So you take another 150 - 200lbs. off the payload for a top. Add 2 people, a full tank of gas and it's starting to look like a Tundra gross weight of around 1600lbs might be too low

I'm thinking in aircraft terms. gross weight isn't useful load. Not sure of the term in towing terms
Just a hint DON’T rely on the manufacturers stated number in a brochure or on the internet
The payload capacity shown is for a specific model and without options
My vehicle shows a payload capacity of approx 1650 lbs ( Internet Numbers)
My actual payload taken from the vehicle’s pillar sticker is 1300 lbs
That’s over a 20% reduction in payload capacity
Ram and Toyota are at the low end with their payload capacity
Ford is on the higher end
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
So you take another 150 - 200lbs. off the payload for a top. Add 2 people, a full tank of gas and it's starting to look like a Tundra gross weight of around 1600lbs might be too low

I'm thinking in aircraft terms. gross weight isn't useful load. Not sure of the term in towing terms
I believe the gas and driver is already included........#1600 is 300# more than mine
Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Just a hint DON’T rely on the manufacturers stated number in a brochure or on the internet
The payload capacity shown is for a specific model and without options
My vehicle shows a payload capacity of approx 1650 lbs ( Internet Numbers)
My actual payload taken from the vehicle’s pillar sticker is 1300 lbs
Couldn't agree more. Look at the payload # listed on the door jam/pillar of each vehicle you view.

The nicer trim versions have reduced payload #'s because of the weight of all the extra bells and whistles. Base vehicles have the highest payload with the highest trim level having the smallest.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe the gas and driver is already included........#1600 is 300# more than mine

I've been under the impression that payload is determined by taking the gross vehicle weight and subtracting the total weight of the vehicle with all fluids including a full tank of gas, but no driver. The driver would count against the payload # listed on the door jam. I could certainly be wrong.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Crawling up

I had bedliners on several pickups. My last was a Dakota with a Leer Topper. I took an old piece of plywood that fit between the wheel wells and was a couple inches short of the bed length. The playwood slid easily on the plastic bed liner but cargo did not slide easily on the top side of the plywood. If I needed to load or retrieve something from the front of the bed, dropped the tailgate and grabbed the two hand holds I’d cut in the plywood and slid the plywood back to get my cargo or load my cargo. It was the 54 or 57 inch bed, something like that. My cousin Ron Preston had a similar setup on his rig. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, somebody invented the wheel years ago.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #28

Trailer: soon to be '18 Escape 21, '18 F150 XLT 2.7 tow
Rotorbudd,
As a point of reference; We tow our new 21 with an F150 2.7 '18. The truck is a 4X4 Off Road Super Crew short bed with no mods (equipped with a tonneau cover - caps kill my knees and back). Peak torque of 400# @ 2700 RPM. We drove up thru Canada to Fairbanks (up the Cassiar?), no issues. That stretch will be a fair test of any setup.

We've been getting about 14 MPG (the truck calc, not mine) and the ride is very acceptable without a distribution hitch (others may differ here). I've attached a copy of a table I found on the internet that allowed me to model my load before purchase so I wouldn't be getting myself into trouble with load. Values are specific to my setup.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GVWR-Escape-Calc.pdf (41.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #29

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I use a hard tonneau (molded ABS composite plastic) that wifey and I can lift off easily in under a minute (<50 lbs) which has double key locks.
https://www.undercoverinfo.com/p-371...r-classic.html

I have that brand on my little 2003 S10. Nice covers!
Attached Thumbnails
S10.jpg  
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
I'd like to thank everyone for all of the very helpful comments. This forum is one of the reasons that we decided to purchase an Escape trailer. We can't wait to meet some of you on the road!

We've decided that it's better to err on the side of caution and go with a larger tow vehicle.
A pick up with a topper will give us all the extra storage space along with more power and better braking abilities.
I'm going to start looking at F150s and Tundras this week.

Guess I'll just have to rent a jeep when we want to run Black Bear Pass.
A number of folks tow their 21 with a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon with Duramax diesel, which is what I bought to tow my upcoming 19, so you may want to add it to your list of vehicles to consider. Mine is a 4X4 with the longer bed and has about 1,400 lbs of payload, generous for a smaller half-ton. It is a sweet, sweet ride and narrower than a F-150, Ram, or Tundra so it might work well for going off-road. It also gets extremely good fuel economy, upwards of 30+ mpg not towing, others report 17 - 19 mpg towing their Escape (haven't yet towed my 19 as I don't have it yet!). For me, the mpg is worth the extra maintenance and expense of adding DEF, which isn't a big deal, just have to dump in 2.5 gallons about every 2,500 miles. This truck is very comfortable, quiet, fun to drive, and has a ton of torque, so it will get up and boogie if you ask it to. Test driving one sealed the deal for me, it went home with me an hour later . No regrets yet!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I had bedliners on several pickups. My last was a Dakota with a Leer Topper. I took an old piece of plywood that fit between the wheel wells and was a couple inches short of the bed length. The playwood slid easily on the plastic bed liner but cargo did not slide easily on the top side of the plywood. If I needed to load or retrieve something from the front of the bed, dropped the tailgate and grabbed the two hand holds I’d cut in the plywood and slid the plywood back to get my cargo or load my cargo. It was the 54 or 57 inch bed, something like that. My cousin Ron Preston had a similar setup on his rig. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, somebody invented the wheel years ago.
Iowa Dave
I've done the plywood thing as well, but for my new truck I just bought one of these:

XLT Truck Bed Mat | Bed Liners & Mats - Bedrug | Bedrug

Extremely lightweight, padded so you can crawl on it comfortably, it drains, dries, and is UV resistant. I installed mine in about 5 minutes. Under my new Leer canopy, it seems like the perfect set-up. So far it has prevented dust from inundating the inside, and I live on a dusty dirt road. Not quite as cheap as a piece of plywood but hoping it lasts longer!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They make rear tailgate sealer kits, foam strips that seal off the rear and keeps dust out
https://www.amazon.com/Tailgate-Univ...seal+kit&psc=1
Old 07-09-2018, 03:29 PM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
I've been under the impression that payload is determined by taking the gross vehicle weight and subtracting the total weight of the vehicle with all fluids including a full tank of gas, but no driver. The driver would count against the payload # listed on the door jam. I could certainly be wrong.
It probably varies with manufacturer but my F150 manual just says occupants plus cargo is not to exceed the yellow placard max payload.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
... I'm going to start looking at F150s and Tundras this week. ...
Richard, We were interested in those two, as well. The F-150 SuperCrew's big, open, flat rear floor with the rear seats stowed up, and with rear doors that opened almost 90 degrees out for easy access (the near door is open all the way, the far door isn't open all the way because of a carport wall), was attractive to us since we may be traveling more in the future with two (or three) large dogs. Oh, and it has a 7,000 lb GVWR package, too. Happy shopping!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09373.jpg   DSC09372.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:44 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Ford , GMC / Chevy and Ram all build nice trucks that can tow any Escape trailer when the truck is properly equipped . The trouble is that many of the trucks on the dealers lots are equipped for commuting / looks / price and not for towin !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #36

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Tundra

I tow our 2nd Gen 21' with a 2017 Tundra crewmax, 5.7 engine. It has more than enough umph to tow and that includes going over mtn passes and the Continental Divide twice on my recent trip. I had a lot of stuff in the bed and backseat of the truck as I wasn't sure what all I would need for 2 months on the road. And lots of clothes (both cold and hot weather) as I wasn't able to wash clothes very often on the road due to sensitivity to scented laundry products (and washers/dryers stinking of scented stuff). And cases of my energy drink which isn't sold in many stores. And lots of other stuff.

Not once did I feel underpowered or overweighted with the truck and trailer.

I have a hi rise Snugtop canopy on it along with a felted bedliner. I originally didn't want a canopy, but Dirk convinced me to get one and I'm glad I did (instead of the tonneau cover I thought I wanted). I can put more stuff in the back (esp when vending at craft shows). For better visibility when changing lanes we also added side view cameras that are mounted under the mirrors (stock mirrors and not the extended towing ones).

I could not tell you my mpg as I haven't touted all that up yet from the trip. I have a 38 gallon gas tank on it.

I love the Tundra. Dirk had me test drive every truck out there that was capable of towing the trailer and this was the clear winner for me. I loved how it felt sitting inside and I really liked how it handled (TRD package).

Here's a picture of the setup (before I put cat decals on the trailer) the day after I brought the trailer home from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04760.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 21
Thanks!

I really appreciate all of the very helpful replies.They have helped me narrow down my choices and given me a much clearer idea of how I need to equip the truck.

I think my best option is a F150 supercrew 4wd with the 5.0 V8 and a towing package. All I have to do is find one without the stupid moonroof package!

Looks like prices are dropping kind of fast too. I'm thinking that when the 2019's are announced they'll drop even more.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:56 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Good luck rotor you’ll probably have to order one. Ford dealers always order them with the stupid moonroof option . Hope you find one and in the color you want
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018 21’ escape
Rotor, I just purchased one at Akins Ford in Winder. It was the only one I could find in Ga, SC, NC, Tn, or Al. I’m in Columbia, SC.
ccourt9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #40

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Good luck rotor you’ll probably have to order one. Ford dealers always order them with the stupid moonroof option . Hope you find one and in the color you want
My wife and I walked into the local Ford dealership with our dream F-150 tow vehicle all spec'ed out on a spreadsheet printout (including NO moon roof). Salesman said he'd need to special order it. While I was inside with the salesman entering our specks into his computer, my wife walked in the door saying she had found EXACTLY what we were looking for (even the color, but plus a navigation system) buried a couple rows deep in their vehicle inventory lot. We signed the paperwork, wrote a check, and picked it up the next day after they had detailed and serviced it for us. Ya just never know until you go look!
FWIW, several years back, I asked a car salesman why all the new vehicles on their lot were tricked out with all the fancy factory options and there were no simple, stripped-down no-frills models on their lot. He told us every option adds to their profit, and most people will give in and buy a vehicle with all those options when that's the only choice they have in front of them.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote