Adapter position Andersen - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA
Adapter position Andersen

Hi Guys We are scheduled to have our 5.0 (Tentatively named Tranquility Base) delivered to Texas next Month. I have a F150 with the Crew cab and the short bed. My Question is which way does the Fifth wheel adapter that gets mounted to the Trailer Pin Box face. I would assume the ball to the front. However since I have no idea what the location is like where I will be picking it up I would like as much confusion about installation kept to a minimum. Thanks
xring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 09:47 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I see you are in Dickinson. My 5.0 is stored in Alvin just off 517 (Baker Storage). I’m happy to meet up there and show you my configuration if it will help you.

John
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #3

Hi John, This is Ray we are the couple whom you showed your 5.0 to a year ago January. I have the rail mounted version of the Andersen. I am not opposed to looking at the setup but really think just the description or better yet a picture of Pin Box with adapter installed is enough. On another Topic when we ordered the unit we gave your name as the contact that showed us the trailer. I know they give some kind of a incentive to owners who do this at least those in the Ambassador program. I am curious if you received any compensation from escape, I hope so! I will e-mail you my phone # if you want to Text me a photo of the pin block adapter installed. Thanks for all the help
Old 03-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
FWIW my suggestion for delivery pickup of your new 5.0 (been there, done this) ....
  • install the coupler block with the ball behind the kingpin (this to better ensure clearance between your tailgate / bed siderails and the back of the pinbox)
  • do not install the Andersen release-cable mount at the pickup site; carry some long zip-ties and just secure it temporarily through any of the many holes on the pinbox
  • before leaving the delivery site, slowly drive forward making a sharp turn and watch the clearance between the trailer and your truck cab - this to get a 'feel' for your safe tightest turning angle (methinks you will find it 'comfortable')
Enjoy your drive home.

Then, after the excitement of picking up your trailer and getting your new rig home, you can take the relaxed un-pressured time to study your particular rig overall and experiment with clearances; if you want, try reversing the coupler block to in front of the kingpin. Note that when the coupler is installed with the ball in front of the kingpin the distance from the ball to the back of the pinbox is ~36", and that's greater than the ~32" from the ball in your bed to the inside of your bed rails.

In this process always be attentive not only to the trailer-cab clearance but also the pinbox/tailgate/bed-siderail clearance while envisioning how those clearances are affected when the truck and trailer are on different slopes relative to each other and when turning (as when turning sharply up a steep ramp like at a gas-station entry - that's when tailgate and siderail clearances will be 'tested').

Folks new to the 5.0 experience seem to focus on trailer-cab clearance but often that's worth compromising a bit in order to ensure clearance of the pinbox/trailer to the top of the bed/tailgate on slopes when turning. FWIW the vast majority of 5.0+Andersen hitch rigs pictured on this forum, of all box lengths, seem to have settled on running the coupler block installed with the ball behind the kingpin (myself included). But there are exceptions and you may be one of them.

I suggest you don't 'permanently' mount the Andersen release cable until you've settled on the coupler-block configuration you're going to keep. There are some 'no-drill' options for mounting that cable you might consider (example in pic).

All just for your consideration, congrats on your impending pickup, Have Fun!
Attached Thumbnails
ANDERSEN CABLE.jpg  
Old 03-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Thanks for the refresher write-up on making the initial connection with the 5.0 and truck with an Andersen hitch. I’ll be following your advice carefully when I pickup our 5.0 in Sumas next month. @Centex

I sure hope it’s ready, I just got the email that it entered production two days ago. If they have manufacturing down to six weeks or so, we should be on schedule.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
Hi John, This is Ray we are the couple whom you showed your 5.0 to a year ago January. I have the rail mounted version of the Andersen. I am not opposed to looking at the setup but really think just the description or better yet a picture of Pin Box with adapter installed is enough. On another Topic when we ordered the unit we gave your name as the contact that showed us the trailer. I know they give some kind of a incentive to owners who do this at least those in the Ambassador program. I am curious if you received any compensation from escape, I hope so! I will e-mail you my phone # if you want to Text me a photo of the pin block adapter installed. Thanks for all the help

No worries Ray. I remember now. [emoji6]. I sent you a couple of photos via email. It should answer your question.

As for the referral. I appreciate it! Escape will send it once you take delivery. Now I will be on the lookout for it.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I know ETI recommends the funnel aft, ball behind the kingpin for most installations. What is the reason or benefit for having it aft or fwd?
Old 03-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #8

And just to confirm, mine is installed with the ball receiver BEHIND the kingpin also. It can be seen by zooming in on these photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6885.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	61174
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6886.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	61175
Old 03-05-2022, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
And just to confirm, mine is installed with the ball receiver BEHIND the kingpin also. It can be seen by zooming in on these photos.

Attachment 61174
Attachment 61175
Thats the way ETI recommends for most installations. I intend to do it as well, I'm just curious what the benefits or criteria to do it are
Old 03-05-2022, 03:34 PM   #10

Pretty sure we have the same bed but Since I have the Railed version of Andersen it is possible there could be some difference. Maybe before I go up past Dallas to pick it up I could do a dry run with you just to make sure I'm comfortable. The picture is a big help. We need to do a escape or Fiberglass rally down here in Texas, no need to let the Canadians have all the fun!!! Glad Escape is goanna compensate you for your help, Maybe I can work a hot dog or a sliced beef sandwich out of ya. Thanks again
Old 03-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #11

Thanks for your response. The realities are starting to hit me now and all the support I get are appreciated.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Thats the way ETI recommends for most installations. I intend to do it as well, I'm just curious what the benefits or criteria to do it are
I think primarily it's in consideration of the distance from the ball to the back of the pinbox vs the ball to the inside of the pickup box sides.

The former is ~36" when the ball is forward of the kingpin while the latter is ~32", so that's a potential conflict at sharp turn angles, especially on ramps where the pinbox may drop low / close to the box side (again, the sharp right turn on a gas-station entry ramp scenario).

That ~32" ball-to-box-inside (~64" total inside box width) is typical for full-size pickups of any box length, for less than full-size pickups the box may be a bit narrower.

With the coupler mounted so the ball is behind the kingpin the distance from the ball to the back of the pinbox is only ~28", eliminating potential conflict with the sides of the full-size pickup box at virtually any combination of turn angles and truck/trailer slopes.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I think primarily it's in consideration of the distance from the ball to the back of the pinbox vs the ball to the inside of the pickup box sides.

The former is ~36" when the ball is forward of the kingpin while the latter is ~32", so that's a potential conflict at sharp turn angles, especially on ramps where the pinbox may drop low / close to the box side.

With the coupler mounted so the ball is behind the kingpin the distance from the ball to the back of the pinbox is only ~28", eliminating potential conflict with the sides of the pickup box at any combination of turn angles and truck/trailer slopes.
Thank you Centex, that makes sense
Old 03-05-2022, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xring View Post
Pretty sure we have the same bed but Since I have the Railed version of Andersen it is possible there could be some difference. Maybe before I go up past Dallas to pick it up I could do a dry run with you just to make sure I'm comfortable. The picture is a big help. We need to do a escape or Fiberglass rally down here in Texas, no need to let the Canadians have all the fun!!! Glad Escape is goanna compensate you for your help, Maybe I can work a hot dog or a sliced beef sandwich out of ya. Thanks again

Certainly. You can bring your truck with hitch installed over to storage and see how it fits with my 5.0 in its current configuration. Next week is best for me. We are camping the following week. Or wait until the last week in March. Let’s coordinate offline.