Aerodynamics and your Escape.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2022, 11:54 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Aerodynamics and your Escape....

Courtesy os Airstream....https://www.airstream.com/blog/airst...ource=hs_email
Old 01-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It would have been nice if they'd showed a few examples of the type of deflectors used to mitigate the drag from the low pressure area behind the tow vehicle.

I know previous efforts haven't always created a beneficial effect.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:38 PM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
aero dynamics

Some one could do as we did at NASA years ago when a vehicle (airplane) was unable to be put in our huge air tunnel we would put a lot of 6 inch pieces of yarn all over the area of interest and put another vehicle (aircraft) along side it with cameras to check for airflow.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 E19
I have a high cap on my TV(I'm guessing 6=8" higher than truck cab?). It has to be helping push that air flow up higher,for going over my Escape to be. The Escape storage box must help too.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:48 PM   #5
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Interesting video and clearly aimed at marketing the Airstream product.

How they are doing (numerically) would obviously be beneficial in the telling of their progress, similar to the quoted "25%" improvement over a box type structure/trailer. Twisting an adage, "what are you doing now, not 20 years ago".

No doubt the cost of doing this research is hidden in the cost of their trailers, and subsequently, the total cost and value of the tweaks and changes, following further experiments...
...not cheap.

Kinda like the addition of another solar panel on the front edge of the 21 Escapes.

Assumed performance can often lead to failures resulting in unexpected costs and repairs to the manufacturer and/or owner. ETI did respond fairly quickly when incidents were reported and developed a remedy after some viability study at their end. Perhaps the "stick on solar panels" may prove more viable in the long term, but at present, rigid panels seem to be the option of choice by most manufacturers.

I'd suggest at this point, cleaning up the airflow over the accessories/appliances on the roof would show considerable improvement on our Escapes (and others). But that's on the suppliers and consistency across the industry.

Yes...it'd be kind of nice to recover 10% of fuel costs (or range) with some minor add ons to our rigs, but it takes money to do that, and the competition isn't helping other manufacturers to that end.

But I'd rather an Escape than some square stick built...which are far more comfortable than a Red River Cart or Conestoga Wagon.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Sounds like another benefit of a mini-split A/C. Never took MPG before and after though because it wasn’t the reason for doing it.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Some one could do as we did at NASA years ago when a vehicle (airplane) was unable to be put in our huge air tunnel we would put a lot of 6 inch pieces of yarn all over the area of interest and put another vehicle (aircraft) along side it with cameras to check for airflow.
AZjack
What's interesting is that F1 teams still do similar things despite spending fortunes on new wind tunnels. I guess sometimes it's a matter of seeing is believing.

I had a graphic lesson in aerodynamics when I took a full size canopy and made a "camperette" for my old Ranger. I took it out on the freeway for a test drive and was shocked that I could barely hold it in 5th even on the level.

I made a sloping front for it and it was an incredible improvement. So much so I could tow my bike trailer far and wide with it. Something I never would have thought possible after my first test drive.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
cropped flat front_resize.jpg   May 12, 2007 004.jpg   May 12, 2007 009_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I did the same sort of thing on my sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
AZjack
The yarn could indicate several issues when attached on the sail in a sweet spot. It could indicate "pinching" or just right sail trim. A useful visual aid to show flow of an invisible "fluid".

Ron in BC Quote
I made a sloping front for it and it was an incredible improvement.

Small tweaks can have impressive results. We do have all manner of vents, vent hoods, AC housings and the like messing up smooth airflow. And the trailer is behind some vehicle and meeting it's own disruptive airflow. Shrouds could help, but I'm guessing only providing marginal improvements.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Our last trailer was within an inch difference in width and length of our 19. I notice a significant reduction in trailer movement when a semi truck and trailer passes in the oncoming lane.
Attached Thumbnails
939356AE-06B0-42A5-B3E9-F0A97577E905.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #10

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Quote:
A 28-foot Airstream travel trailer has 25 percent less aerodynamic drag than a 35-foot trailer produced by a leading brand.
This statement is somewhat misleading. Assuming the same frontal and rear cross sections, a shorter trailer will always have less drag than a longer one. Any aerodynamic advantage from Airstream trailers is primarily due to the rounded front and rear.

Interesting that commercial passenger airline manufacturers (Boeing and Airbus) are going to carbon fiber composites for bodies and wings in lieu of aluminum. Aside from other advantages, rivets can be eliminated as they add labor cost as well as aerodynamic drag.

Maybe rivets don't add much drag at highway speeds. But, Escapes will never have problems associated with multiple joints and rivets.