Air Bags - Ford F-150 - 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2022, 02:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA - June 2022
Air Bags - Ford F-150 - 5.0TA

Hello Escapers, 90 Days until I'm a daddy (again)...

In preparation for our 5.0TA I am considering air bags to level my 2017 Ford F-150 out in the rear. I already have a 2" Level kit in the front so the truck is technically leveled. Which means when I load the 5.0 on to the truck I'm envisioning the rear sagging due to the weight.

Has anyone done this already? If not when your truck is stock I assume the weight levels it out, which would mean I probably need airbags.

I want the ride to be level when I'm pulling. Any assistance is appreciated. Pics are also welcome. Thanks all!
Frisco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You do not mention year and truck model.......?
Old 03-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #3

Thanks cpaharley2008! my apologies, i edited it to include.
2017 Ford F-150.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco Kid View Post

In preparation for our 5.0TA I am considering air bags to level my 2017 Ford F-150 out in the rear. I already have a 2" Level kit in the front so the truck is technically leveled. Which means when I load the 5.0 on to the truck I'm envisioning the rear sagging due to the weight.

Has anyone done this already? If not when your truck is stock I assume the weight levels it out, which would mean I probably need airbags.

I want the ride to be level when I'm pulling. Any assistance is appreciated. Pics are also welcome. Thanks all!

I'd remove the front "level" kit first and see how it does..........
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I have airbags on my 2016 F150. They were there (bought used) but wont know how they work until I pick up my 5.0 in 2 weeks...
Old 03-25-2022, 06:52 PM   #6

Curious

What does your tire loading / payload sticker show for payload?

On your driver's door pillar - yellow bar across the top.

Also - which cab configuration and box length?
Old 03-25-2022, 07:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
What does your tire loading / payload sticker show for payload?

On your driver's door pillar - yellow bar across the top.

Also - which cab configuration and box length?
F150 Lauriat model.. IIRC, 1760 or so. I'm sure the airbags are an after market edition to the truck as were the industry standard bed rails. I have the 6 1/2' bed and the super crew. I love the truck but prefer the smaller supercab version..
Old 03-25-2022, 07:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I have a a 2015 Ford F150 same configuration as yours with the heavy payload package, my door sticker reads 1780 lbs. I haul my 5.0 with all my gear with no issues and truck rides level. Cheers
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
BTW I also have the Andersen hitch, I figured that I never have more than about about 600 lbs of cargo including my wife and I in the truck bed and cab. Carry a lot of stuff in the trailer.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
F150 Lauriat model.. IIRC, 1760 or so. I'm sure the airbags are an after market edition to the truck as were the industry standard bed rails. I have the 6 1/2' bed and the super crew. I love the truck but prefer the smaller supercab version..

Sorry, that was directed at the OP

Though with the 6 1/2 bed, you may have the Heavy Duty Payload Package though airbags are aftermarket
Old 03-25-2022, 11:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
FWIW ..

I'm towing my 5.0 with an '05 F150 Supercab, 6.5' box, 1729# sticker payload rating, Andersen Ultimate on B&W Turnoverball. I do not have a 'level kit' installed; I do have Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on the rear axle. My truck had the Turnoverball and bags for years of gooseneck trailer towing long before I considered getting the 5.0. My 5.0 does have the 'lift kit' from ETI.
  • With the trailer hitched and no air in the bags the truck sags about 1-1/2" at the rear axle, less at the front axle
  • I've adjusted the Andersen ball height to yield slightly nose-low on the trailer with no air in the bags
  • I then tweak the trailer to bubble-level with a bit of air in the bags
  • This yields very close to equal loaded sag front and rear, indicating good load distribution front and rear on the TV.
This tows like a dream, IMO the bit of air in the bags improves the ride / reduces the already minimal 'bounce' over bumps. Rail clearances are great.

Personally, I'd ditch your level kit, that's transferring weight to the rear when un-laden, not as intended by Ford's load-carrying design (learn to live with the un-laden 'rake', that's built-in by design for a reason in anticipation of carrying substantial loads, every pickup made has it to some degree).

YMMV, Have Fun!
Old 03-25-2022, 11:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:

I would suggest you wait on suspension mods until your 5.0 is connected and both it and your truck are loaded as you would normally travel. Then check to see how level your truck is.

There's a good chance that the rear will sag no more than two inches which tells you that if you remove the front 2" level kit you'll be just right level! As someone else has suggested, pickups are designed to be a bit nose-down when unloaded; it's a pickup after all and supposed to carry a load in the bed.

In any event, you'll have plenty of time to optimize your truck's level after you get your trailer. Who knows? Maybe you'll be having so much fun camping that you won't get around to make adjustments for a long time. Relax. Have fun!

Ed
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:27 AM   #13

All great info, thank you! For those interested I have the Crew Cab with the 5.5” short bed. Full trailer package, 4x4, sport w/ 32gl extended tank. This truck was made for hauling an Escape!

The way the truck sits when not hooked up means a great deal to me. I added the 2” level up front because I don’t like the way the truck sits. I understand the truck is raked exactly for that reason but I’m not a fan.

I’m going to do as Hawkeye Ed suggests and wait until I pick her up, drive it for a bit and take measurements. Then I will decide whether I need to add bags or not.

I’ll post my findings here Incase others are interested. Drive safe all…
Old 03-26-2022, 12:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You could also weld in a chunk of rail instead of adding air bags. That would also keep the springs from compressing. It wouldn't transfer weight, like a WDH, but the truck would sit level.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:03 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Cool life is full of compromises - you can't have your cake and eat it, too

Quote:
... This truck was made for hauling an Escape! ...
IMO that's been significantly compromised by the 'level kit', and air bags won't 'correct' that (you can achieve rail-top bubble-level while not optimizing TV weight distribution when towing). Apparently you know that (the laws of physics brook no compromise) and are willing to compromise towing excellence in favor of un-laden aesthetics.

That's certainly your prerogative to exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You could also weld in a chunk of rail instead of adding air bags. That would also keep the springs from compressing. It wouldn't transfer weight, like a WDH, but the truck would sit level.
Ouch!
Old 03-30-2022, 05:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Personally, I'd ditch your level kit, that's transferring weight to the rear when un-laden, not as intended by Ford's load-carrying design (learn to live with the un-laden 'rake', that's built-in by design for a reason in anticipation of carrying substantial loads, every pickup made has it to some degree).
I would likely ditch the level kit, too, and I agree that the rake is intentional, but the kit is not transferring any load between axles. Minor changes in ride height don't tilt the truck enough to move the centre of mass enough to measurably change the distribution of weight between the axles.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Removing the axles entirely and dumping the frame on the ground would also make the truck sit level... which is about as sensible and relevant as replacing the springs with a solid bar. Adding variable spring stiffness (by adding air springs) is very different from making the suspension solid.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Adding variable spring stiffness (by adding air springs) is very different from making the suspension solid.
And, how does that shift weight?

Tags
air bags, towing