Air Conditioning Unit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Casita
Air Conditioning Unit

Hello -
We are nearing the configuration stage for a new 21C and are debating about whether or not to get AC. Escape told us we could substitute an additional MAXX fan in its place. We currently own a Casita trailer and have used the AC only once over the last six years.

Any thoughts/experiences along this line?
MRaponi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
We got the extra MAXX fan instead of AC. Having said that, we are a lot less likely to camp in hot and humid spots. No AC in my house either, but my Texas siblings would never do that. On a trip back from Canada in 2019 we were in the Midwest in late July. It was a little uncomfortable but not terrible with the fan going, and that was in a 17B with one fan. If we lived in a different place would likely do differently.
So many decisions aren’t there?
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
If A/C can easily be added at a later date by you or a subsequent owner (or the RV service shop of your choice), I see no harm in leaving it off under your circumstances.

Personally, A/C is a must-have. But I'm not you and you're not me (be glad).
Old 02-13-2021, 06:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
You don't miss your water until your well runs dry

Get the AC. It will be a potentially large benefit if you ever, ever sell and useful when and if you need it.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
All Escapes come A/C Ready (just confirm that is still the case if opting for a second MaxxFan)

Considering you have only used your current A/C once in six years your need is obviously low if you plan to camp in similar seasons/locations as you do now. That coupled with the fact that the quietest rooftop A/C currently available is not offered by Escape would cause me to pass. Coleman has made strides with the Mach 10 NDQ but the quietest is the rebranded Houghton units offered at Recpro.com.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-conditioners/

If it was me I would get the 21 without A/C but confirm A/C Ready, add the second MaxxFan, swap out the mechanical furnace thermostat with a digital upon receipt of trailer, and then only get the Houghton unit if determined necessary down the road. The Houghton has a remote control so no need to worry about wiring for wall mounted controls or only being able to control at the unit. Also the 9,500 BTU unit is the best option for good dehumidifying in our small trailers. It won’t short-cycle which is typical with oversized units. Cooling down too quickly and not removing enough moisture. Cold and clammy is what you get. Should be smaller, better for running off generator with lower amp draw and probably even quieter than the already relatively quiet 13.5K BTU Houghton unit.

I have done a ton of research on A/C and opted to do a custom mini-split install. There is nothing quieter but I must say for the average person that wants a bolt-on solution that doesn’t sound like a jet engine when running the Houghton is very compelling.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Didn't get AC despite all the folks talking resale value and have never regretted it. Thought about second Maxxfan, yet opted for opening vent that was free. More light and we don't even use the single Maxxfan that much.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Crack a window next to your head and switch the fan to Out. That will draw cooling air over your face and hot air ( which rises ) out of the trailer.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRaponi View Post
Hello -
We are nearing the configuration stage for a new 21C and are debating about whether or not to get AC. Escape told us we could substitute an additional MAXX fan in its place. We currently own a Casita trailer and have used the AC only once over the last six years.

Any thoughts/experiences along this line?

I was in your shoes last year.I also only used it in the casita once in my driveway . I ended up getting it . I did test it when I got the trailer . I guess if i ever end up camping somewhere hot that has power I might use it. It really depends on you camping style . I think if I had to do it over I would leave it off and save the 100lbs of weight. It can be added latter if you decide to. On the other hand a trailer in this price range should be equipped for all situations. I do plan on getting 80% of my money back when I sell the trailer.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 E19
I, too, think a 2nd Maxx fan is overkill. One fan will move a tremendous amount of air through an Escape. Glenn has it right; to cool the trailer, set the fan to pull air up and out, and open the windows.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Crack a window next to your head and switch the fan to Out. That will draw cooling air over your face and hot air ( which rises ) out of the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I, too, think a 2nd Maxx fan is overkill. One fan will move a tremendous amount of air through an Escape. Glenn has it right; to cool the trailer, set the fan to pull air up and out, and open the windows.
Yea, try that in the southern US in the summer months and then tell me how well you sleep. Even in the winter months temperatures 80° F and above are not uncommon in January and February. And once the inside of the trailer is like an oven, cracking a window and running a fan isn’t going to make it comfortable at a reasonably normal bedtime.
The decision on whether or not to install A/C is really dependent on where and when you plan to travel. But if you don’t have it and need it even once, you will wish that you had it unless you enjoy waking up on sweat soaked bedding.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The MaxxFan’s do move a lot of air...but I’ve found they get loud at higher speeds. Two fans could both be run at lower speeds and move the same amount of air. This would be great at night when trying to sleep and provide more uniform airflow. I’ve been in really hot weather without 120V power and sometimes wished we had two fans in the 19. Especially if anyone is sleeping at the front (converted dinette/cot) the fan on high speeds can be bothersome. With my mini-split A/C I have the second opening available but just have a static vent there now.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #12
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We never had AC on our previous trailers and learned to camp either on the beach or in the Sierra Mountains in the hot summer and fall CA months. Only had to make the mistake of camping in the summertime in the Central Valley just once, to learn that 'unbearably hot' lesson. But camping without AC worked well for us for years because we learned where and when we could camp 'comfortably'. But now that we have AC, we feel it has greatly opened up our possibilities on where or when we can camp comfortably and don't feel as constrained in our planning stages anymore. So nice!!!

So think about where and when you plan to camp in the future. If you have never needed it before and feel you don't need or want it, then you not only save $$$ but 100 lbs off your trailer weight. In that case, I would get 2 Maxx Fans and have one pulling air in, and the other pushing out. What a nice, gentle, quiet breeze that would be... And like others said, you can always install a AC later, if you don't mind the hassle of that. However, if you are tempted to get it, and think it might be of value to you, (and if not for you, for resale someday?) then I say, go for it. So glad we did. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Not much stopping someone from digging out the wire and switching it over to DC and running 1, 2, 3 or 4 computer fans in the non fan roof vent. I find them very easy to sleep with and they move a good amount of air.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
All Escapes come A/C Ready (just confirm that is still the case if opting for a second MaxxFan)

Considering you have only used your current A/C once in six years your need is obviously low if you plan to camp in similar seasons/locations as you do now. That coupled with the fact that the quietest rooftop A/C currently available is not offered by Escape would cause me to pass. Coleman has made strides with the Mach 10 NDQ but the quietest is the rebranded Houghton units offered at Recpro.com.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-conditioners/

If it was me I would get the 21 without A/C but confirm A/C Ready, add the second MaxxFan, swap out the mechanical furnace thermostat with a digital upon receipt of trailer, and then only get the Houghton unit if determined necessary down the road. The Houghton has a remote control so no need to worry about wiring for wall mounted controls or only being able to control at the unit. Also the 9,500 BTU unit is the best option for good dehumidifying in our small trailers. It won’t short-cycle which is typical with oversized units. Cooling down too quickly and not removing enough moisture. Cold and clammy is what you get. Should be smaller, better for running off generator with lower amp draw and probably even quieter than the already relatively quiet 13.5K BTU Houghton unit.

I have done a ton of research on A/C and opted to do a custom mini-split install. There is nothing quieter but I must say for the average person that wants a bolt-on solution that doesn’t sound like a jet engine when running the Houghton is very compelling.
I ordered my 21C with AC because I like it cold when I sleep! However, I wish I had thought of the mini-split idea before I ordered my trailer. I AC'd my 3-car garage with a mini-split. At 110 degrees outside my garage is 76 degrees inside, and the mini-split can barely be heard running. I'd put a mini-split in my 21C without hesitation. If ETI would install the wiring I'd provide, even better.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
I ordered my 21C with AC because I like it cold when I sleep! However, I wish I had thought of the mini-split idea before I ordered my trailer. I AC'd my 3-car garage with a mini-split. At 110 degrees outside my garage is 76 degrees inside, and the mini-split can barely be heard running. I'd put a mini-split in my 21C without hesitation. If ETI would install the wiring I'd provide, even better.
In this thread I did an install on a 19 and 21. Here is a direct link to the start of the 21 install:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post289800

The wiring isn’t the issue. The only thing really necessary from Escape is the proper rear cabinet opening width if you want to recess unit cleanly in cabinet. They did it for Jake’s 21 that I worked on and it is on the build sheet for another forum member.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:53 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
.... The only thing really necessary from Escape is the proper rear cabinet opening width if you want to recess unit cleanly in cabinet. They did it for Jake’s 21 that I worked on and it is on the build sheet for another forum member.
Maybe referring to me, this post to confirm that ETI has committed to 'customize' the rear OH cabinet opening on my 5.0 for the Fujitsu mini-split air handler for the nominal fee of $50USD.

Further, ETI has committed to completely eliminate the rear roof cutout (exterior shell and interior headliner) that they normally provide for either an AC unit or a passive rear roof vent. In my case, that's to provide additional clear roof real-estate for solar PV panels to be installed by me.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Maybe referring to me, this post to confirm that ETI has committed to 'customize' the rear OH cabinet opening on my 5.0 for the Fujitsu mini-split air handler for the nominal fee of $50USD.

Further, ETI has committed to completely eliminate the rear roof cutout (exterior shell and interior headliner) that they normally provide for either an AC unit or a passive rear roof vent. In my case, that's to provide additional clear roof real-estate for solar PV panels to be installed by me.

I will be very interested in seeing your set up once you get it all done. I wish i had thought about doing it that way.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
.... I wish i had thought about doing it that way.
Credit where due: Purely the luck of timing and the original thinking in Dave's inspirational mini-split mod thread; there's no chance I would have thought of this without his trail-blazing demonstration.

I'm not sure that had been posted timely to configuring your trailer, much less with enough lead-time for you to consider the undertaking (it's been far from a quick decision on my part).
Old 02-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Credit where due: Purely the luck of timing and the original thinking in Dave's inspirational mini-split mod thread; there's no chance I would have thought of this without his trail-blazing demonstration.

I'm not sure that had been posted timely to configuring your trailer, much less with enough lead-time for you to consider the undertaking (it's been far from a quick decision on my part).
I Did talk to Dave about his mini split install. At the time I decided to the factory install. I think if i had to do it over I would do the mini split. We thought we would use the unit more on the August pick up trip.(our trip of a lifetime) We dint want to take the change of having no cooling on the trip. Like a lot of things in life ,I would do it different the second time. What I like so much about your install is no second hole in the roof.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Casita
Thanks for the information - much appreciated.
MRaponi is offline   Reply With Quote