All 2017 Escape Owners - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
All 2017 Escape Owners

I keep a spreadsheet that started with Frederick Simpson's "Trailer Weights in the Real World" at the Fiberglass RV forum (with Frederick's permission). Since retiring, he has not been weighing trailers at rallies, and the data at the Fiberglass RV forum can't be sorted, averaged, etc. The spreadsheet can be downloaded, sorted by trailer manufacturer, size, etc, and find average axle, trailer & tongue weights by model.

While I have added quite a few Escapes (as well as other trailers) to the list, I'd appreciate owners of the new molded Escapes to let me know the actually weighed axle & tongue weights of their trailers. You can email the results to me at vermilye@oswego.edu or post here. If you haven't weighed your trailer, you know you should!

Thanks in advance -
Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Thanks for your efforts. Looking forward to seeing replies with the new body style.
DisplacedYoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Once I get my work done on my trailer, I hope to weight it before loading it with anything to get an idea of the base weight. I will then weigh it loaded for fun, and send you the numbers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
You might look into exporting that Excel file into Google Sheets. That way people just need a web browser to view it, and you could even "deputize" others to help maintain it.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
OK I am sure this is a rookie question but what is the best way to get our Escapes weighed? Truck scale? I assume we need to disconnect the TV .... how do we get the tongue weight? Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
OK I am sure this is a rookie question but what is the best way to get our Escapes weighed? Truck scale? I assume we need to disconnect the TV .... how do we get the tongue weight? Bill
We have a local farm coop/elevator that only charges $2 per weight, so I use them. To get the total weigh of your trailer, yes you need to disconnect and let the front jack rest on the scale. The best way to get tongue weight is with a special purpose tongue weight scale. Often, if you go to a rally someone will have one there you can borrow.

Otherwise you can make a second weight measurement on the scale with the trailer still connected, the tow off the scale, but all the wheels of the trailer on the scale. The difference between those two weight measurements will then be your tongue weight.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Hi: CoolCampingKid... I took our 5.0TA to the Agri weigh scale, on the way out for a weeks worth of camping, and paid 5 bucks.
#1 wt. entire rig 9840 lbs.
#2 wt. Trailer on the scale still attached but truck off. 3840 lbs.
#3 wt. Trailer off the truck by itself. 4720 lbs.
#3 - #2 = pin wt. IMHO. This has been hotly debated here for years, that a half ton truck is not capable of towing a 5.0TA. I beg to differ!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Alf, it's always quite interesting to see those rest stop pictures of our trailers next to the land whales isn't it?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: CoolCampingKid... I took our 5.0TA to the Agri weigh scale, on the way out for a weeks worth of camping, and paid 5 bucks.
#1 wt. entire rig 9840 lbs.
#2 wt. Trailer on the scale still attached but truck off. 3840 lbs.
#3 wt. Trailer off the truck by itself. 4720 lbs.
#3 - #2 = pin wt. IMHO. This has been hotly debated here for years, that a half ton truck is not capable of towing a 5.0TA. I beg to differ!!!
Well I know a half ton will tow a 5.0ta because it is lighter then the older Lance 5th wheel I just sold after 18 years of service! The prior TV to my 2000 Tundra was a Dodge Dakota with the V6 .... thanks for the weighing info .... Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Alf, it's always quite interesting to see those rest stop pictures of our trailers next to the land whales isn't it?
Hi: thoer... Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Truck scales cost about $10 and you can probably do a second weighing for another $1.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Truck scales cost about $10 and you can probably do a second weighing for another $1.
But be sure to do it when truckers aren't in line behind you - they need to get on it and back on the road.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not living in farm country... CAT scale locator https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...MgIaAggX8P8HAQ

What I've done...
Weight combination truck and trailer
Go disconnect the trailer in a quiet part of the parking lot.
Weigh the truck

Make sure your wheels are in the right spots.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #14

Bob, that would give you total weight of the trailer, but not the tongue weight, right?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Unfortunately we were unable to weigh the 2017 21' as we drove down from ETI to LA CA.

We were tight on time, to get to Mt Shasta DMV before it closed on Friday.

Just missed an opportunity in OR... didn't see the turnoff in time.....

And in CA the scales are usually jammed up with trucks.

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
A number of posts on this thread have been removed. Folks remember: rude posts, insults and snide remarks are not acceptable. If you see a problem with a post, hit the report post button but do not respond in kind.

If you disagree with another member, make your point respectfully and only once and then move on.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I took the posted weights from " Trailer Weights in the Real World" for my particular trailer , added them all up and found the average weights.
For my trailer the average tongue weight from the table was 427 lbs and my actual tongue weight was 430 lbs . The average trailer weight from the chart and my actual trailer weight was within 1 %.
I am not saying that the table is an accurate replacement for actually weighing your trailer on a scale but only that it gives you a good indication of weight if a scale is not available.
I was surprised how much stuff I and others carry in their trailer without realizing how guickly the weight adds up.
My truck & trailer will be going on a diet before this camping season starts.

Best Wishes
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
But be sure to do it when truckers aren't in line behind you - they need to get on it and back on the road.
We never have any trucks doing weighing when we have been at a scale. We go to the truck gas stations with scales. They are usually all parked, staying overnight maybe. Or maybe once or twice there was one getting gas.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Are not CAT truck scales divided into three or more parts? Can you put the trailer on one section, the tongue on another and finally the tow on the third. I believe it is important to make sure you crank down the trailer so it is level. This insures the proper tongue weight.

It is recommended that the tow is populated with passengers and gear to get the correct vehicle weight. I could never figure out how to push the button for the scale to take a reading while still inside the vehicle. The buttons were designed to be pushed from the cab of a truck, not standing on the ground.

I realize not all scales are created equal, but the image is what I recall from our local truck stop.
Attached Thumbnails
CatScales.jpg  
fudge_brownie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Are not CAT truck scales divided into three or more parts? Can you put the trailer on one section, the tongue on another and finally the tow on the third. I believe it is important to make sure you crank down the trailer so it is level. This insures the proper tongue weight.

I realize not all scales are created equal, but the image is what I recall from our local truck stop.
Yes, we have been able to use the separate scales at the same time. Then again, there was a time that I think there were not different scales for different axles.

But if you crank at the scale, aren't you actually getting a wrong weight then? You are towing the way you are set up, not necessarily exactly level. I probably don"t get what you are saying.