Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch Backordered - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2020, 08:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Andersen Fifth Wheel Hitch Backordered

Ordered my Andersen rail type hitch last week and was informed today they are backed up at the factory 4-5 weeks. Our 5.0 isn't due for completion until mid January so I have time but if that's your choice of hitch and you'll need it soon probably should get one ordered. I was able to get my rail kit and safety chains shipped so at least I can install them in the mean time.

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #2

Jimmy, we encountered the same issue, though we've also decided against the Andersen because of the safety chain requirement. I visited David Murphy's 5.0 near Austin, and liked his Demco Recon rail hitch, and will be going with that. I'm curious if all 5th wheel hitches have the same lock-up height from the bed of the truck. Our 4x4 Ram is 55" at the top of the tailgate. Matt
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #3

I’m not sure towing 5th wheel is new to me. That Demco Recon does look nice. I’ve only towed a trailer and driven motorhomes. Our bed rail height is 54 1/2”. Did you get the lift option on trailer? I’m having a time deciding between it and the insulation underneath. Don’t like the look of it but I just haven’t decided if I will regret not having it.

Jimmy
Old 10-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveanson View Post
I'm curious if all 5th wheel hitches have the same lock-up height from the bed of the truck.
Fifth-wheel hitches are generally adjustable in height, over a similar range. The adjustment usually consist of bolting the head to the supporting structures through different sets of holes in the supports; fortunately, you only need to do that once.

The Demco Recon is unusual in that it mounts the head on a vertical post in a tube, very much like the Andersen Ultimate design... and it adjusts vertically in the same way, with one pin through a hole in the tube and one of three holes in the post.

Examples of rail-mount fifth-wheels:
Demco Recon: 3 height adjustments from 15-1/2” to 18”
B&W Patriot 16K: 4 vertical adjustments from 16” to 19”
Curt A16: adjustable in 2" increments from 13" to 17"
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthorns View Post
I’m not sure towing 5th wheel is new to me. That Demco Recon does look nice. I’ve only towed a trailer and driven motorhomes. Our bed rail height is 54 1/2”. Did you get the lift option on trailer? I’m having a time deciding between it and the insulation underneath. Don’t like the look of it but I just haven’t decided if I will regret not having it.

Jimmy
We've bumper pulled a Casita and a larger Forester River RV. The reason we are having the floor insulation installed is not only for temperature control, but for undercarriage protection. On both our previous RV's we had damage, some minor and some serious, from road debris/rocks. I see the insulation as an additional layer of protection. I have not included the 'lift' option but will attempt to see if our 1" clearance will be enough. It will depend on the height of the hitch. I think I'll call etrailer for their opinion. . .Matt

Edit: BTW, our 5.0 is due Feb 9th
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i love my Anderson with turn over ball attachment- we just dry walled our studio and loved the nice flat bed on the truck when the hitch is pulled out- so easy and light even i can do it!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Indicates 5 in stock ? $544.99 free shipping, worth a call ?
https://carkart.com/index.php?route=...CABEgIiPPD_BwE
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Thank you I will check that out. I really want it before I install the rails which I received today.

Jimmy
Old 10-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #9
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Absolutely, make sure to place hitch on rails prior to final tightening to insure proper alignment.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:10 PM   #10

Great idea! Thank you! I was able to order it, I had never heard of that site. I thought I looked everywhere.

Jimmy
Old 10-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Just a warning!!! Do not use this Carkart Company to order anything. they don't really have the hitches in stock and I'm having to go thru Amazon to receive a refund. Their communication is non existent.

ETrailer is a great, reputable source and I'm glad I kept my backordered hitch in place. Hopefully I'll have it in about 4-5 weeks.