Andersen Ultimate 2013 F150 Crew Cab 5.5 bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Andersen Ultimate 2013 F150 Crew Cab 5.5 bed

Any of you folks towed a 5.0 with an F150 like mine (2013 Crew Cab, 5.5' bed)? I would like to know how far back from the tailgate the ball is.

Thanks.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Any of you folks towed a 5.0 with an F150 like mine (2013 Crew Cab, 5.5' bed)? I would like to know how far back from the tailgate the ball is.

Thanks.

Frank
The Andersen connection ball is 40.375" from the rear of my F150 5.5' bed or tailgate using the gooseneck version attached to a turnover ball. It would be the same distance regardless of bed length. For the 2017 F150 the gooseneck ball was placed in the bed 45.750" from the rear and the Andersen ball is offset 5.375" to the rear. There may be some flexibility in where you attach the rail version but the turnover gooseneck hole location is quite specific.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Gay View Post
The Andersen connection ball is 40.375" from the rear of my F150 5.5' bed or tailgate using the gooseneck version attached to a turnover ball. It would be the same distance regardless of bed length. For the 2017 F150 the gooseneck ball was placed in the bed 45.750" from the rear and the Andersen ball is offset 5.375" to the rear. There may be some flexibility in where you attach the rail version but the turnover gooseneck hole location is quite specific.
Thank you for the reply!

I should have been more specific. It's that turnover ball location from the tailgate I'm interested in. So the ball center would be 45.750" from the tailgate in my 2013?

Frank
Old 10-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Thank you for the reply!

I should have been more specific. It's that turnover ball location from the tailgate I'm interested in. So the ball center would be 45.750" from the tailgate in my 2013?

Frank
It can vary depending on the model of truck and the model of gooseneck ball you install. 45.750 was from the installation guide I found online for the Drawtite hitch I thought I had but I just doublechecked my truck before answering you and found it is actually 43.5" from the tailgate. So check the installation instructions for the gooseneck hitch you choose.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #5

I see where the Andersen Ultimate says "Will not fit beds shorter than 6'.'" That's not the case with 5.0TA's right?

I plan on using a hide-away ball like this: https://www.etrailer.com/g-2013_Ford...1%2F2+Foot+Bed

Thanks,

Frank
Old 10-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
I see where the Andersen Ultimate says "Will not fit beds shorter than 6'.'" That's not the case with 5.0TA's right?

I plan on using a hide-away ball like this: https://www.etrailer.com/g-2013_Ford...1%2F2+Foot+Bed

Thanks,

Frank
I see the B&W you linked specifies the ball will be 45.125 from the tailgate so they do vary. Mine is about 2 inches forward of the axle. You can find lots of warnings about 5th wheel hitches in short bed trucks and for good reasons but it can work with an Escape. I appreciate this writeup from Andersen's website as it points out setups vary - we have to learn our limitations and have to be more watchful - it is working well for me.
[URL="https://andersenhitches.com/uploads/Official%20info%20regarding%20short%20bed%20trucks .pdf"]
Old 10-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Thanks,

Frank
Hi: frank_a... Here's a pic of our new tow with the old hitch in it. Took it out of the Nissan 6' 1" bed and installed in the Ram 5' 7" bed. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040872.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I see where the Andersen Ultimate says "Will not fit beds shorter than 6'.'"
If you're referring to the note in the eTrailer product page under Applications... ignore eTrailer. They carry a great range of products and provide lots of information about them (such as genuine manufacturer's installation manuals), but they also publish lots of misinformation in their "expert" answers. In this case they probably just put in their standard points for fifth-wheel hitches, which is as incorrect for the Andersen Ultimate as it would be for any other brand or style of hitch.

Not only does it not physically make sense, Andersen publishes this link on their Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection page: Does the Ultimate Connection work in short bed trucks? Yes! (This is the same document linked by Tom and Gay, above.)

Also, the installation instructions link on that eTrailer page is currently broken. Instructions are available from the Andersen website.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

Can you use a gooseneck hitch like this?

https://www.amazon.com/61052-Over-Be.../dp/B0007M4MKA
Old 10-27-2018, 11:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Can you use a gooseneck hitch like this?

https://www.amazon.com/61052-Over-Be.../dp/B0007M4MKA
Yes, that Curt #61052 would work as an anchor for the "gooseneck" style Andersen Ultimate; however, a pickup box floor by itself does not provide suitable structural support for this hitch. Installed as Curt intends, the plate of the hitch is on top of the bed floor, but supported by brackets under the box floor that are bolted to the frame... for the 2013 F-150, the bracket set would be Curt part #61221.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Just looking ahead, I purchased a 2019 Ram Crew Cab with the 5'7" bed, is the proper location for the 5th wheel hitch centered over the rear wheels and will the Escape 5.0 clear the cab in this location.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Just looking ahead, I purchased a 2019 Ram Crew Cab with the 5'7" bed, is the proper location for the 5th wheel hitch centered over the rear wheels and will the Escape 5.0 clear the cab in this location.

trainman
Hi: trainman... I haven't had a problem yet. My 5th. wh. hitch is centered and have yet to pull the yellow handle to slide the hitch. Here's a hooked up pic along with a hitch pic with our old 6'1" bed Nissan showing the hitch. Both hitch placements allow the tonneau to stay on the trucks too. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040874.jpg   P1020904.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: trainman... I haven't had a problem yet. My 5th. wh. hitch is centered and have yet to pull the yellow handle to slide the hitch. Here's a hooked up pic along with a hitch pic with our old 6'1" bed Nissan showing the hitch. Both hitch placements allow the tonneau to stay on the trucks too. Alf
Thanks, you posted exactly what I wanted to hear and see, thanks, trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote