Andersen Ultimate or Reese Goose Box - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2019, 03:45 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
David's experience with Demco is interesting. I was considering a tow dolly (for a car behind a motorhome - not relevant to trailers but the same company) and had some questions; I found Demco staff to be very responsive and helpful.

It is strange that their website doesn't seem to list vehicle-specific frame bracket kits at all, but they are in the 2019 catalog, which says that part 8552032 specifically fits the 2019 Ram 1500. Since this bracket kit is for "industry standard rails" it would work for anyone using those rails, regardless of the brand of the hitch.
I have been following David's comments on the Recon and I do like there hitch, part #8550045 which is a goosenect ball hitch. David has said he will probably use the Recon that will use brackets that bolt the hitch to the floor of the pickup. Either way I have watched videos on these hitches and I like them and would consider either type of mount, but I do like removing the 5th wheel hitch when not towing the trailer. We have not committed ourselves to any trailer as of yet, but will this spring be it the Oliver, Escape Elite II, or the Escape 5.0.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It is strange that their website doesn't seem to list vehicle-specific frame bracket kits at all, but they are in the 2019 catalog, which says that part 8552032 specifically fits the 2019 Ram 1500. Since this bracket kit is for "industry standard rails" it would work for anyone using those rails, regardless of the brand of the hitch.
All hitch rails are pretty much "industry standard", usually designated ISR, and will work with any hitch that uses ISR rails. Several different manufacturers usually make truck-specific rail bracket mounting kits, but as long as they are mounting ISR rails the brand doesn't matter, they should work with any hitch - you don't have to get brackets or rails from the same company that makes your hitch.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I have been following David's comments on the Recon and I do like there hitch, part #8550045 which is a goosenect ball hitch. David has said he will probably use the Recon that will use brackets that bolt the hitch to the floor of the pickup. Either way I have watched videos on these hitches and I like them and would consider either type of mount, but I do like removing the 5th wheel hitch when not towing the trailer. We have not committed ourselves to any trailer as of yet, but will this spring be it the Oliver, Escape Elite II, or the Escape 5.0.

trainman
The hitch, conventional or Anderson, does not bolt to pickup bed. It is attached to the cross rails with 4 pins which can be removed without even using tools. It takes less than 3 minutes for me to remove the hitch which weighs 0nly 38 lbs. How much does your conventional hitch weigh? The only thing left in the bed is the cross rails. Make sense?
Attached Thumbnails
20180802_135510.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
The hitch, conventional or Anderson, does not bolt to pickup bed. It is attached to the cross rails with 4 pins which can be removed without even using tools. It takes less than 3 minutes for me to remove the hitch which weighs 0nly 38 lbs. How much does your conventional hitch weigh? The only thing left in the bed is the cross rails. Make sense?
I guess my thought on this was if you have to have brackets under the bed to the frame to mount the rails, then why not just install the B&W gooseneck setup with the ball hidden when not in use. Yes the cost is more for both the B&W setup and the Recon 5th wheel setup, but I look and the convenience of having it this way. I realize the weight of the Recon 5th wheel assembly is more, but I have a lift setup in my shop to move it in and out when needed, it would probably stay in the bed most of the time anyway. I do appreciate everyone's answers as they are all helpful in making decisions. Thanks, trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I guess my thought on this was if you have to have brackets under the bed to the frame to mount the rails, then why not just install the B&W gooseneck setup with the ball hidden when not in use. Yes the cost is more for both the B&W setup and the Recon 5th wheel setup, but I look and the convenience of having it this way. I realize the weight of the Recon 5th wheel assembly is more, but I have a lift setup in my shop to move it in and out when needed, it would probably stay in the bed most of the time anyway. I do appreciate everyone's answers as they are all helpful in making decisions. Thanks, trainman
The weight is also important when thinking about your payload. A lot of the Ram Pickups don't have very high payloads. The turnover ball and conventional 5th wheel hitch probably weigh more than my hard tonneau cover and toolbox. Just saying.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
The weight is also important when thinking about your payload. A lot of the Ram Pickups don't have very high payloads. The turnover ball and conventional 5th wheel hitch probably weigh more than my hard tonneau cover and toolbox. Just saying.
Yes, you really have to pay attention to payload - all the options can cut into payload in a hurry. I ordered our truck specifically equipped with the features we need for towing and not a lot of the extra stuff, so we have a payload of over 1,800 pounds, not too worried about hitch weight.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just for comparison, my B&W Patriot conventional 5th wheel hitch weighs in at 138 lbs, add another 30 lbs for the rails and maybe 10 for the bracket set. close to 180 lbs total.

The turnover ball is about 40lbs, another 40 for the Anderson hitch. No idea if you need vehicle specific brackets.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just for comparison, my B&W Patriot conventional 5th wheel hitch weighs in at 138 lbs, add another 30 lbs for the rails and maybe 10 for the bracket set. close to 180 lbs total.

The turnover ball is about 40lbs, another 40 for the Anderson hitch. No idea if you need vehicle specific brackets.
Is that 40 lbs for the complete turnover set up? I would think there is some sort of bracket set to bolt to truck frame specific to make and model, no?
Old 02-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #29

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I would expect so too but I didn't see one called for in the instructions I just looked at. Could be the whole assembly is vehicle specific and includes any brackets.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:56 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Quote:
Is that 40 lbs for the complete turnover set up? I would think there is some sort of bracket set to bolt to truck frame specific to make and model, no?
Quote:
I would expect so too but I didn't see one called for in the instructions I just looked at. Could be the whole assembly is vehicle specific and includes any brackets.
The brackets are specific to the truck, and not part of the base turnover ball hitch but included in the complete vehicle-specific package offered by B&W.

Kevin (the original poster) has a Tacoma, but there are no bracket sets for this truck and he seems to be long gone from this discussion anyway... so I'll use a 2019 Ram 1500 as an example:
Quote:
HITCH KIT DETAILS
GNRK1319 Fits:
2019 Ram 1500 Model DT Gas Engine Trucks

GNRK1319 consists of two boxes: GNRM1319 weighing 62 lbs and GNRC800 weighing 40 lbs.

Documents:
GNRK1319 Installation Instructions.pdf
So, box GNRC800 is the hitch itself or "center section" in the instructions (40 pounds shipping weight, somewhat less installed); box GNRM1319 contains the frame brackets, crossmembers, and other installation components which are specific to this model and year of truck (62 pounds shipping weight, somewhat less installed). Almost 100 pounds just for the part the anchors the hitch structure in the bed of the truck... but at least it's the part that you never need to lift to remove the hitch to clear the bed or to re-install the hitch to tow.

The installation instructions note (and illustrate) that the "gooseneck" ball ends up centred over the truck's rear axle; at or an inch or two ahead of the axle line is typical industry practice. Since that's not far enough from the cab to clear the trailer adequately with an under-six-foot box length, "short-box" truck owners need to provide some way to get the trailer further back, such as:
  • non-standard Turnoverball mounting (not easy and I wouldn't suggest it except to expert fabricators),
  • Andersen Ultimate system with framed turned rearward,
  • other hitch with offset in the hitch structure (may not be enough offset), or
  • offset ball in the Turnoverball hitch (offset of 4" may not be enough)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote