Andersen WDH compatibility w/21C? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2023, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Andersen WDH compatibility w/21C?

Do any of you know the make and model of the coupler being supplied by ETI?

I found this warning on the Andersen web site:

Quote:
Atwood Coupler Compatibility (Atwood 88007, 88010, 88555 and 88600)

When these few Atwood couplers are combined with the Andersen Weight Distribution system — and other weight distribution systems — there is a potential issue where some couplers can become unlatched over time due to wear on the internal latch system. This issue is present because of the unique design of the couplers.

To our knowledge, this potential issue ONLY affects the Atwood 88007, 88010, 88555 and 88600 couplers. All other Atwood couplers are compatible with the Andersen Weight Distribution system. Older (pre-Atwood) Marvel couplers also work great. Newer models may also encounter these issues if designed in a similar style.
I had planned to buy the Andersen WDH locally before driving ~1,200 miles to pick-up my 21C. A local hitch dealer/expert has recommended the Andersen WDH for ease of set-up and for being light weight. My tow vehicle is a 2022 F150 4Dr, 4WD with the "max trailer tow" package. My previous experiences towing a 16' Airstream with a 2019 Tacoma was, let's say, stressful.

I completely read the previous thread on the Andersen WDH, and it doesn't answer this question.

Thank you in advance for any useful information.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: NE21
Hello,

I have had great success with the Andersen for over 20000 miles with my 21NE. The Escape trailers do not use the Atwood.
rjetre@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Since Atwood was swallowed by Dometic there are no more new ones available.

Escape has been using a Chinese made RAM (Atwood Knockoff) since at least 2015 and now if you search major brands such as Husky, Curt & Reese- they all look exactly like the RAM & say Made In China.

My A-frame coupler on my 2014 was damaged I believe by the Andersen within two years of use. The yoke would lift up even with the lock pin in place. I was able to get it replaced with an Atwood just before the merger with Dometic. I also ditched the Andersen as it was a PITA to use compared to the Pro Series I had with our previous 17B. Went back to the Pro Series and it takes 1/4 the time to hitch up the spring bars vs. Andersen and even more if you have to unhitch at an angle. To straighten the Sway plate that the chains are attached to you have to hitch one then move forward and to the opposite direction to get it back to zero degrees. ETI installed the Andersen and perhaps there was an error of some sort- the chains were eating through the chain guides too. Don't know how it could have been installed differently though.

With an F-150 & 21C you're unlikely to have sway issues with items in your front box, under the bed and the fact the bathroom is in the front.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Steve,

Many folks, including myself, use the Andersen WDH. In my mind it is the best option out there, and its very easy to use. ETI installed it on my 21C and tow vehicle when I picked up my trailer (for a small fee).

I don't think there are any compatibility issues with the coupler, and I've never heard anyone on the forum say anything about it. That said, one modification I made to my trailer within the first year was cut off the Atwood and had a welder weld on a straight coupler (I have a curt, there is also bulldog). Absolutely night and day in terms of security and easy of hookup. There is a decent amount of info on this forum about that mod.

If I could make any suggestion to a new ETI owner, it would be to get the Andersen WDH and replace the Atwood with a straight coupler. Awesome combo.
mstruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:40 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I replaced the ETI coupler with a Bulldog. No more binding, easy to hook up and release at any angle, and impossible to create a false latch-up (been there done that) that causes the trailer to break loose. I love the Andersen hitch, by the way.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I replaced the ETI coupler with a Bulldog. No more binding, easy to hook up and release at any angle, and impossible to create a false latch-up (been there done that) that causes the trailer to break loose. I love the Andersen hitch, by the way.
So you still use the Andersen with the Bulldog?
Old 03-24-2023, 10:17 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
So you still use the Andersen with the Bulldog?
Yes, the Bulldog has no WDH function, it's just a coupler.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Thanks rjetre , Rossue, mstruzz , and tractors1!

ETI told me this morning that they supply a Braber coupler.

I just picked up the Andersen hitch locally in preparation for my trip to bring home the trailer.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote