Anderson 5th wheel Hitch install - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2021, 06:28 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cogswheel,
Please update your avatar to reflect your correct Escape trailer ownership.....Thanks!
Old 01-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 5.0 (Dec ‘21)
Hello, Cogswheel.

Curious about your DWS toolbox shown. We are looking to add a box to our 6.5’ bed with standard Anderson Ultimate, and I like how yours sits flush with the rails for better visibility. Is that a “storage” box that sits on the bed floor, or a short “crossover” box that’s somehow mounted below the rails instead of on top of the rails? Which DWS model is it? If it’s a storage box, do you have it bolted into the bed of the truck? Any suggestions for us as we explore these? (By the way, we have ~21” between the front bed wall and the base of the pyramid frame.). Thanks!
WannaBeEscaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Well here is what I did, and believe me, people told me it would not work!

2018 Tundra Crew Cab 5.7 L V8
5.5' Short bed

I got everything installed per TradeMasters recommendations! It worked fine, actually perfectly.

First off, I would go to TradeMasters, in Chilliwack BC. They know like no one else. Any doubts, go there. FOR SURE!

Here is what they told me to get and I did and it works great.
Here are my numbers.
1 AA_bw1257 bw underbed system toy tundra $479.00
1 BW_4585 B&W 4" Offset Ball for B&W Gooseneck hitches $157.99
1 CT_56070 T-CONNECTOR $80.00
1 AN_3220 Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection 2 (Gooseneck) -Aluminum ONLY 37 lbs! (now w/ball-funnel) $789.99
1 AN_3249 3249 - Ultimate Connection Safety Chains with Plate $139.99
1 FI_2445 air bags $558.29

I have the B&W offset. I had to drill thru the truck bed to get this in. But no biggie. Plus there is a little pull pin I can pull to remove the offset. Works great.

Then the standard gooseneck with Anderson receiver.

Yes I got Firestone airbags and highly recommend them! They allow for your truck to be trimmed out perfectly. The ride is very nice. I keep mine at 15 lbs.

I can take the whole rig off and put it back on in 30 minutes. Torqued to the correct 65 lbs too (3 bolts).

I LOVE MY TUNDRA AND THE COMBO KICKS ASS!!!

p.s. Wind? What wind?
Attached Thumbnails
Moodra and Zen-2.jpg   Moodra and Zen.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Greetings WannaBeEscaped!
This is DWS’s ‘5th Wheel Toolbox’ model
It can be mounted either way.
I mounted mine with stainless steel hardware through a section of aluminum deck handrail I purchased at Home Depot to the Ram factory cargo slide mount.
So far so good!
Cogswheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #25

UWS is the brand, and I have it mounted crossover style
Attached Thumbnails
1AB55FCB-9E47-4E4C-AE0A-B48485522267.jpg  
Old 01-02-2022, 06:12 PM   #26

Are there any issues with the 5th wheel hitting the tailgate going up or down steep grade changes (like from a downhill driveway to a level street or the opposite way leaving a road into an uphill driveway)? How much clearance is recommended? My 2020 Ecodiesel North Edition sits 57 inches high at the top of the tailgate. Just wondering if there is a tailgate height where you need to have the 5.0 with the axle lift.
Camper Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:25 PM   #27

Greetings Camper Scott! We haven’t had an issue with tailgate height, but also have the lift on the Escape and the Off Road suspension height. On the Ram.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Question Help.....Trouble with hitch install

Hello, We are having some trouble with getting a hitch installed in our 2020 Nissan Titan SV 4x4. We have contacted three installers. They have told us that they can not make the Anderson hitch work in our truck. They called the Anderson folks and they said that they "don't have a towing package that will fit anything after a 2019 model of our truck". They have said that their was not enough clearance for some of the Anderson brackets and components. Can anybody help us figure out what to do so that we can hook up our Escape 5.0? Any help will be appreciated. We wanted the Anderson because of ease of use. Thanks!!
Rowevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #29

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
If you plan to pickup your trailer in Sumas, Washington, you can get your hitch installed by Trademasters in Chiliwack. That’s who installed our hitch when I heard the same thing from local installers.

They did an awesome job on our truck.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:42 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowevers View Post
Hello, We are having some trouble with getting a hitch installed in our 2020 Nissan Titan SV 4x4. We have contacted three installers. They have told us that they can not make the Anderson hitch work in our truck. They called the Anderson folks and they said that they "don't have a towing package that will fit anything after a 2019 model of our truck". They have said that their was not enough clearance for some of the Anderson brackets and components. Can anybody help us figure out what to do so that we can hook up our Escape 5.0? Any help will be appreciated. We wanted the Anderson because of ease of use. Thanks!!
Sounds like your installer doesn't want to be bothered with your business.
I ran into a similar situation with the local hitch installers and ended up doing my own install of the hitch and rail kit on my truck.

I don't think Andersen actually makes the bracketry to mount their hitches in a truck but you should find kits from companies like Reese, Curt, Demco,or B&W that make rail or ball mount kits that will fit your Nissan and work with the Andersen hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...16470-204.html
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
I ran into the exact same problem with my 2021 Tundra. It was amazing how all the knowitalls would come to the same conclusion-cant do…
I would not want to wait until I’m about to pickup my camper to do the install, and after watching the install being done, I’m very glad I didn’t attempt to do the install myself. Maybe on certain trucks it’s not hard to do, but this was a tough job on my truck.
Andersen and all the rest were no help whatsoever.
I used a rail model on my truck but from what I understand the other model also fits.

About 4 hours from Springfield right off 44 is Byerly RV, near 6 flags-636-938-2020

I also suggest you have them show you exactly how to mount your adapter, right tools and all.
They will take you into the shop and walk you thru it.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:28 PM   #32

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I think the industry standard bed rails will fit most trucks. All of the 5th wheel and Andersen hitches will fit right in
Old 05-23-2022, 09:31 PM   #33

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I think the industry standard bed rails will fit most trucks. All of the 5th wheel and Andersen hitches will fit right in
Then it’s settled…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:14 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
The 'challenge' is rarely the industry-standard rails visible in the bed, it's finding a 'no-drill (referring to the vehicle frame) bolt-on kit' designed specifically for some trucks. That sort of 'kit' consisting of the pre-fabricated structural pieces that install under the bed to tie the industry-standard rails to the truck frame.

If such a 'kit' can be found for the specific truck in question it makes installation relatively easy and somewhat independent of an installer's skillset (it's a bolt-on operation following detailed instructions provided by the 'kit' manufacturer, basic automotive mechanic competence is what's required).

Lacking such a 'kit' one is forced to have a truly 'custom' underbed mount fabricated, which inevitably requires more skill and competence on the part of the installer. The undertaking involves structural design and fabrication competence that's not required when installing a pre-fabricated 'kit' designed for the vehicle.

Certainly either approach can yield good outcomes. IMO the former usually offers the confidence of 'well-proven' design and a bit quicker turnkey installation. The latter offers a solution when kits are not available or if one seeks a unique location for the rails for whatever reason. Turnkey cost could go either way depending on the case specifics.

There are also 'universal' kits, which provide commonly used pieces but aren't vehicle-specific and may require some degree of modification / additional fabrication to install on a given vehicle.

One experience-based opinion, just for your consideration.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:50 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
I don't think Andersen actually makes the bracketry to mount their hitches in a truck but you should find kits from companies like Reese, Curt, Demco,or B&W that make rail or ball mount kits that will fit your Nissan and work with the Andersen hitch.
True. The Andersen Ultimate hitch is installed by the user, who drops it on the rails or over the ball mounted in the bed, and pins it in place. The installation challenge is putting in the rails with their frame brackets, or the ball hitch in the bed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
... Lacking such a 'kit' one is forced to have a truly 'custom' underbed mount fabricated, which inevitably requires more skill and competence on the part of the installer. The undertaking involves structural design and fabrication competence that's not required when installing a pre-fabricated 'kit' designed for the vehicle.
There are also 'universal' kits, which provide commonly used pieces but aren't vehicle-specific and may require some degree of modification / additional fabrication to install on a given vehicle.
My biggest issue with the universal kits is that they are just angle brackets, not designed for the truck frame at all. The custom-fit kits use existing holes in the truck frame, but the universal kits require the installer to find existing holes that happen to be in the right place (which is exceptionally unlikely) or to drill new holes. I don't want a hitch installer drilling the frame of any vehicle, and if the frame rails are fully boxed (as most are now) just sticking a bolt through both sides and putting a nut on the other side is not structurally sound. Some installers might even weld the brackets on, which is scary.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #37

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My biggest issue with the universal kits is that they are just angle brackets, not designed for the truck frame at all. The custom-fit kits use existing holes in the truck frame, but the universal kits require the installer to find existing holes that happen to be in the right place (which is exceptionally unlikely) or to drill new holes. I don't want a hitch installer drilling the frame of any vehicle, and if the frame rails are fully boxed (as most are now) just sticking a bolt through both sides and putting a nut on the other side is not structurally sound. Some installers might even weld the brackets on, which is scary.
Agree 100%. I'd bust a gut searching for a vehicle-specific kit from a reputable manufacturer before resorting to other alternatives; and if forced to go with a one-off custom install I'd make it clear that frame drilling, through-bolting a box section as you describe, or welding are all an absolute no-no on my vehicle.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #38

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
If I recall correctly, Nissan had a gooseneck hitch in the Titan Diesel (a turnover or plug-in ball). If you can find a kit to install that, you could get the appropriate Andersen hitch for that. Maybe enquire at a Nissan dealership parts department….
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:31 PM   #39

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Check with etrailer.com to see if the Demco rails and brackets for 2020 Nissans provides "industry standard" rail dimensions that you can use to attach an Anderson rail mount hitch.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
If I recall correctly, Nissan had a gooseneck hitch in the Titan Diesel (a turnover or plug-in ball). If you can find a kit to install that, you could get the appropriate Andersen hitch for that. Maybe enquire at a Nissan dealership parts department….
I had this….but it was a Titan XD….larger framed truck, like a 5/8 ton!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote