Anderson 5th wheel Hitch install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Question Anderson 5th wheel Hitch install

We have a completion date of June 2022 for our 5.0 TA.
I have pulled bumper pulls before but never a 5th wheel.

Wanting to go with the Anderson Ultimate hitch and were wondering about the placement of the rails in the bed. Our vehicle is a 2019 f150 with the 5'5" bed.
Is there a standard placement of the rails over the rear axle or is there some leeway?Just wondering because the information on the Escape website gives differant placement distances from the bulkhead with examples of turning radius and clearance of trailer from cab corners.
Would any reputable hitch installer know where to place the rails?
Also does anyone know of an installer in or near Sumas Washington, especially one familiar with the F150/5.0 set up? I know there is one near Chilliwack and would consider getting it installed there, but not sure of what the border situation will be when we pick up.
We live in Illinois and could also get the hitch mounted here at home, just want to make sure it is properly placed in the bed for best turning radius.
Total newbie at 5th wheels so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ngarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
A good shop will order a rail kit that is made for your truck and mount it as designed. That will work for the 5.0 and Andersen hitch.

Search etrailer to get an idea of the price of the rail kit.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarc View Post
Is there a standard placement of the rails over the rear axle or is there some leeway?Just wondering because the information on the Escape website gives differant placement distances from the bulkhead with examples of turning radius and clearance of trailer from cab corners.
One small installer told me there was no leeway when installing the hitch. Truckin' America in Rochester said there is leeway and they install to the customer specs when possible. Our 2015 was installed by myself using the video on eTrailer. When opened (down) he tailgate was about 1" from the camper and any angle it would be touching. When we purchased our 2019 F150 I asked Truckin' America to install my rails 2" closer to the tailgate. I now easily have 3-4" of clearance and it opens at most angles.

We've pulled our 5.0 with the 2019 F150 around 15,000 miles so far (18,000 with the 20150) and it pulls great. It's also easier to walk between the rear of the camper and tailgate to get from one side to the other.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I may be wrong on this but I think the question of leeway depends on whether you get a universal fit rail kit or custom fit for your specific truck.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
I installed my rails so that the hitch pin is 35 inches from the tailgate. With the 5.0ta pin box being 32 inches long this allows about 3 inches clearance from rear of pin box to the inside of the tailgate. This seems to be adequate clearance even when going over rough uneven ground.
My hitch is not an Andersen and does not have any offset. Thus the hitch connection is centered between the rails. Any hitch offset would have to be calculated into your rail placement when installing your rails.

I used this Reese semi-custom rail kit on my 2018 f150:
https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...RP30035-31.htm

I installed the rails a few inches back from the recommended location. I had to drill 2 holes in the frame for the bracket mounting but was able to utilize existing holes for the other 6 mounting bolts.
The extra clearance really makes hitching easier as I can hitch the trailer while leaving the tailgate open.
Attached Thumbnails
railcenter.jpg   gateup.jpg   tailgate.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Anderson 5th Wheel hitch install

Grateful for the responses and all the info is really useful.
Perry, pics are great and your rig set up seems to be just what I was looking for, especially since you have the extra clearance when tailgate is open. Wondering if you could send the distance from the end of your bed to the rails? Or from the end of your bed to the center of the ball?
ngarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
I may be wrong on this but I think the question of leeway depends on whether you get a universal fit rail kit or custom fit for your specific truck.
True. A custom-fit bracket kit will only work as intended in one specific position on the frame; universal brackets require the installer to find a location and find or drill mounting holes, which is generally undesirable but does raise the possibility of using a non-standard location.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:32 AM   #8

Trailer: on order
Over the years I have had at least 3 fifth wheel hitches installed in different vehicles. I have been told that the standard is for the centre of the hitch pin to be 2" ahead of the centre of the axle. This is to ensure that the proper weight is put on the front tires of your TV. If it is behind the centre of the axle you are basically taking weight off the front end and possibly creating a dangerous steering situation.
G.D.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.S. View Post
Over the years I have had at least 3 fifth wheel hitches installed in different vehicles. I have been told that the standard is for the centre of the hitch pin to be 2" ahead of the centre of the axle. This is to ensure that the proper weight is put on the front tires of your TV. If it is behind the centre of the axle you are basically taking weight off the front end and possibly creating a dangerous steering situation.
Yes, but think about the fulcrum effect of the bumper pull. A 5.0 Escape with 800 lbs a few inches behind the axle compared to a bumper pulls weight that sits 6" behind the bumper.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #10

that is why for pulling the pull behind trailers they recommend weight distribution hitches or you see them going down the road with the front of the vehicle 5-6 inches higher than the back!!
Old 12-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Just to mention, I have an Anderson hitch which is gooseneck mounted instead of the rails. We use our truck a lot as a cargo carrier when not hitched and really appreciate the nice flat floor when hitch is not installed; just have to flip the gooseneck ball.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #12

I think the Andersen hitch is a great hitch and I had already decided that it was going to be my next hitch until I discovered that in most of the States and my home province of Alberta you cannot legally use it to pull tandem trailers, as in a small boat behind. Law states that it must be a "pin and plate" hitch to legally pull tandem!!
Old 12-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.S. View Post
I think the Andersen hitch is a great hitch and I had already decided that it was going to be my next hitch until I discovered that in most of the States and my home province of Alberta you cannot legally use it to pull tandem trailers, as in a small boat behind. Law states that it must be a "pin and plate" hitch to legally pull tandem!!
The Escape trailers are not designed for tandem tows. The 2" receiver is for a bike rack only, max of 150 LBS
Old 12-17-2021, 01:10 AM   #14

Hitch weight on my boat trailer is only 86 pounds. Can't be any worse than 150 pounds of bikes bouncing on it!
Old 12-25-2021, 03:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Comlete Newbie Queries on This Topic

Hi All,

I'm just contemplating the 5.0. Have just put down my deposit for a March 2024 delivery. I know nothing about trucks and towing a 5er, currently am pulling my 2018 Casita SD with a Toyota Highlander. As I'm a Toyota fan, thinking I would go with a used Tundra should I go ahead with this plan.

So, first off, do truck beds come with the holes you need to install the 5th wheel hitch or does a shop have to drill them? I'm getting the idea that there needs to be supports installed under the truck bed to support the hitch? How to look up what that is likely to cost? I'm thinking I would go with the Anderson, aluminium hitch and most likely my truck bed would be 5.5'.

From watching various videos, it appears that the actual ball that the kingpin will rest on (with the Anderson option) is positioned rearwards (as in more towards the tailgate, away from the cab) of the middle position of the hitch when it's centered over the rear axle? I have seen it be said that this gets you an additional 4" of moving the trailer away from the cab? If this is the case, as discussed here, is that less safe (to have the kingpin not centered over the rear axle), from a weight distribution/efficient towing point of view? Perhaps you already addressed this, just seeking clarity, thanks.

Will I need to install something like Sumo Springs or air bags in the rear of the truck to make this all work?

Lastly, it appears that a person can successfully tow a 5.0 with the Anderson hitch even in a short bed, as in 5.5', truck? Any thoughts/opionions on any or all of this, much appreciated.

thanks,

- karen
karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 05:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by karwask View Post
... As I'm a Toyota fan, thinking I would go with a used Tundra should I go ahead with this plan.

So, first off, do truck beds come with the holes you need to install the 5th wheel hitch or does a shop have to drill them?
Some heavier-duty pickups (Ford Super Duty, Chevrolet/GMC HD, Ram 2500/3500, Nissan Titan XD) are available with factory-installed fifth-wheel or ball-in-bed (often called "gooseneck") hitches, but not the light-duty trucks. In a Tundra (or Tacoma, or Ford F-150 or Ranger, or Chevrolet Silverado 1500 or Colorado, or GMC Sierra 1500 of Canyon, or Ram 1500, or Nissan Titan or Frontier) holes will need to be drilled for the installation of an aftermarket hitch.

Quote:
I'm getting the idea that there needs to be supports installed under the truck bed to support the hitch?
Yes, there are two systems:
  1. frame brackets under the box support rails that run across the top of the floor of the box (as shown in post #5), or
  2. a structure installed under the box from frame rail to frame rail holds the bed-mounted ball... and a hitch sitting in the box anchors to that ball.

Quote:
From watching various videos, it appears that the actual ball that the kingpin will rest on (with the Anderson option) is positioned rearwards (as in more towards the tailgate, away from the cab) of the middle position of the hitch when it's centered over the rear axle? I have seen it be said that this gets you an additional 4" of moving the trailer away from the cab? If this is the case, as discussed here, is that less safe (to have the kingpin not centered over the rear axle), from a weight distribution/efficient towing point of view?
There is no single ideal hitching location. Placing the hitching point (which is the ball of the Andersen Ultimate hitch, if you use that system) further back changes the weight distribution between the truck's axles, but even a few inches behind the axle is still better than all of a conventional trailer's tongue weight on a ball behind the truck's bumper.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #17

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Hi All,

I'm just contemplating the 5.0. Have just put down my deposit for a March 2024 delivery. I know nothing about trucks and towing a 5er, currently am pulling my 2018 Casita SD with a Toyota Highlander. As I'm a Toyota fan, thinking I would go with a used Tundra should I go ahead with this plan.

So, first off, do truck beds come with the holes you need to install the 5th wheel hitch or does a shop have to drill them? I'm getting the idea that there needs to be supports installed under the truck bed to support the hitch? How to look up what that is likely to cost? I'm thinking I would go with the Anderson, aluminium hitch and most likely my truck bed would be 5.5'.

From watching various videos, it appears that the actual ball that the kingpin will rest on (with the Anderson option) is positioned rearwards (as in more towards the tailgate, away from the cab) of the middle position of the hitch when it's centered over the rear axle? I have seen it be said that this gets you an additional 4" of moving the trailer away from the cab? If this is the case, as discussed here, is that less safe (to have the kingpin not centered over the rear axle), from a weight distribution/efficient towing point of view? Perhaps you already addressed this, just seeking clarity, thanks.

Will I need to install something like Sumo Springs or air bags in the rear of the truck to make this all work?

Lastly, it appears that a person can successfully tow a 5.0 with the Anderson hitch even in a short bed, as in 5.5', truck? Any thoughts/opionions on any or all of this, much appreciated.

thanks,

- karen
I just had the Anderson hitch installed on my 2021 Tundra-6.5 bed.

Someone on here gave me this info for assistance with my questions, EricsRV in Seqim Washington. 1200 Bruce, thx again.

The owner Eric really was helpful, even though I was too far away to be able to use his services, and he knew this up front.

I wanted more bed capacity, but I think there are plenty of people with the king cab on here. Eric will know exactly what hitch and rails would be the best for you.

I had a difficult time finding someone in my area, I eventually did and it worked out but if I were only a days drive away from Eric’s…
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hi All,

thanks,

- karen
We have the Andersen Ultimate gooseneck toolbox aluminum version mounted to a B&W undermount gooseneck with flip over ball mounted in our 2020 short bed Ram 1500 eTorque 4x4 and love it! Pickup truck wArehouse in Little Rock installed the B&W and bed plug for no extra charge. Our Andersen pin box is reversed, giving a shorter overall rig length. We have never had a close call on cab nor trailer in thousands of miles in Ozark mountain camping. The DWS 5th wheel tool box fits beautifully on factory bed tie down rail or behind the Andersen at tail of truck.
We got the truck because of the incredible ride given 4 coil springs (I believe there is a different B&W model if you have factory air ride.
I tell you all of this because we have enjoyed tremendous service from each vendor during this pandemic economy,, and feel so fortunate to be 5.0 TA campers!
Attached Thumbnails
388C3EC4-A528-4C60-9548-B5EF3D738FE7.jpg  
Cogswheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:26 PM   #19

Just some photos of the install
Attached Thumbnails
65DB352B-B919-44D6-BA0E-F699310DC2F6.jpg   ACC6A23F-1F67-4F51-A2CE-A0A94F743B7D.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #20

One more
Attached Thumbnails
660B3E57-34A2-41B3-A9E3-DC15AF4A4E29.jpeg