Anderson Hitch Mounting - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021, Escape 21
Anderson Hitch Mounting

I am installing an Anderson 3200 hitch in my 2015 Ram. Need to double check that the supplied measurement of 29" from the back edge of the box to the back edge of the back rail is correct for the 5.0TA. I have looked, measured and done a mock up with the hitch and rails. It looks like it is correct but would like to hear from someone who has one mounted in a 6'5" box. The ball will be right over the axle at 29" rail position.
Cowichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowichan View Post
I am installing an Anderson 3200 hitch in my 2015 Ram. Need to double check that the supplied measurement of 29" from the back edge of the box to the back edge of the back rail is correct for the 5.0TA. I have looked, measured and done a mock up with the hitch and rails. It looks like it is correct but would like to hear from someone who has one mounted in a 6'5" box. The ball will be right over the axle at 29" rail position.
Sounds right. Pin directly over the axle.
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #3

Installed this morning and it looks right.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
How long did it take you to do it yourself?
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #5

There were two of us, both 67 years old, and it took us 3 hours. There isn't anything difficult and the Andersen directions were clear.
I only did it myself because of the COVID travel restrictions in British Columbia. Trademasters instalation price was quite fair.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
I am installing an Anderson 3200 hitch in my 2015 Ram. Need to double check that the supplied measurement of 29" from the back edge of the box to the back edge of the back rail is correct for the 5.0TA.
Quote:
There were two of us, both 67 years old, and it took us 3 hours. There isn't anything difficult and the Andersen directions were clear.
The underbed rail kit you installed was not from Andersen, correct? So the instructions for installing the rails were not from Andersen, they were from the company that made the rail kit, correct?

It's usually that rail kit which dictates the exact location of the rails, not the Andersen hitch that's then installed on those rails wherever they may be in the bed.

Please tell us the brand / part number for the rail kit that you used?
Old 01-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #7

The rails and mounts were from Curt. Rails-16104-CM. The underbed brackets-16306-CM.
There are 4 brackets specific to the truck model and the rails are generic. 10 holes for the rails and 8 holes in the frame for the brackets. The frame holes are blind but the supplied threading wire device worked very well for installing the blind grip bolts. I recommend buying new drill bits (17/32" and 3/16") it makes the drilling so much easier. A 1/2" corded drill works best for the large frame holes unless you have a very heavy duty cordless.
As I found when we started the job, the position of the rails is determined by the front brackets. On my truck they were tight to the shock brackets. The ball is centered directly over the axle as it should be. I have 40" of clearance from the cab to the ball. Escape lists 40" clearance required for a 90° turn of the 5.0. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Directions are good and the design is well thought out for my truck. Send me a private message if anyone wants any further info I learned of the install.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
The underbed rail kit you installed was not from Andersen, correct? So the instructions for installing the rails were not from Andersen, they were from the company that made the rail kit, correct?

It's usually that rail kit which dictates the exact location of the rails, not the Andersen hitch that's then installed on those rails wherever they may be in the bed.
All true - Andersen doesn't offer rails or frame mounting kits for them, so the rail location is not determined by Andersen components. Of course there are still configuration choices with the Andersen Ultimate, placing the ball offset forward or rearward, and placing the coupler with the socket ahead of or behind the pin.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
.... Of course there are still configuration choices with the Andersen Ultimate, placing the ball offset forward or rearward, and placing the coupler with the socket ahead of or behind the pin.
And even different brand/model rail kits may offer slightly different rail locations for a given vehicle IME.

(edit to delete confusing tangent about Andersen GN version)
Old 01-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
The rails and mounts were from Curt. Rails-16104-CM. The underbed brackets-16306-CM.
... The ball is centered directly over the axle as it should be.
Actually, the installation instructions for the 16306 bracket kit note that when these brackets are properly installed the result is "King Pin Center approx. 1-1/2" forward of axle center" (which really means that the rails are centred 1-1/2" forward of axle). With the Andersen Ultimate ball five inches either ahead or behind the rail centre line, the ball is then either 6.5" forward of or (more likely) 3.5" behind the axle line. There's no way for the Andersen ball to end up on the axle line unless the rails are centred 5" from the axle line; I don't know if Curt's instructions are incorrect, or the brackets are not placed as they suggest.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #11

It is all pretty close. It fits and the trailer will tow well.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
And even different brand/model rail kits may offer slightly different rail locations for a given vehicle IME.
Very true. There is no "industry standard" for kingpin position, although slightly ahead of the axle centreline is typical, so every hitch manufacturer makes its own choice... and even that is constrained by working around the truck's frame and box features.

Quote:
BTW and FWIW, I asked Andersen via email specifically about installing the Ultimate base with the Andersen ball turned offset forward of the gooseneck ball ... they promptly replied that is not recommended saying that "is not a tested orientation." That's distinctly different from the option to orient the rail-mount Andersen offset either direction (which is specifically endorsed by Andersen) and of course distinctly different from orienting the coupler on the kingpin either direction.
The structural situation is different for the gooseneck and rail versions, so I suppose that's not surprising. With the trailer normally pulling back on the hitch the continual tension on the in-bed ball with the gooseneck in the forward ball configuration would be very high. In practice the forward ball position is only likely to be useful with the longest boxes (8-foot) due to clearance for the front of the trailer, so it would rarely be used anyway... and Andersen's installation instructions for even the rail-mounted version only describe the rearward ball configuration.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Old 01-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
That's all that matters and is doubtless true.