Anderson Leveling system for 21' - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #81

Trailer: Escape
BAL levelers work very well. We used one on the A-liner for 8 years. They are a bit bulky to store. We used a pizza delivery bag to store it.
http://www.amazon.com/BAL-R-V-Produc...ds=bal+leveler
Old 07-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Donna,
I traded in my 2 B@L levelers for these Slant Levelers, Set of 2 - Rook Industries D10-253 - Chocks & Levelers - Camping World
they weigh a lot less and easier to store.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #83
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's many ways to accomplish the same thing. I'll keep the BAL levelers for now and give them a good try out. If this past campout was any indication, I think I'm going to like them. As a single traveler who doesn't carry dutch ovens or a BBQ grill, etc. weight isn't nearly as big a concern for me as it maybe to others.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #84

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Hi all, We just returned from a 1 month outing (3800 miles) in our new 21. At our first stop we tried using the plastic blocks for leveling that I always carry. Using only one block put the low side too high, so I went to the Anderson levelers. They worked great and I never went back to the blocks. We found out that I cut one Anderson leveler maybe a quarter inch shorter then the other (I'll have to measure to be sure). That quarter inch was just enough to easily use between the tires. My wife was smart enough to mark them for the remainder of the trip. My cousins were with us, using the Anderson levelers, and loved them also, and will only use wood if absolutely necessary.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #85

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My wife and I used the Anderson's with our new 19. We cut 1" off the thin side, but it wasn't always enough. Our routine was if we needed to raise a side, to back onto a thin block. If that wasn't enough, then place the Anderson levelors in front of the wheels and pull forward. (The block gave us more room between wheels) Worked like a charm every time. To reverse, my wife would use the awning rod to pull everything out. Much safer than reaching between the wheels with her hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Use of block with Anderson Levelor.jpg  
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
To reverse, my wife would use the awning rod to pull everything our. Much safer than reaching between the wheels with her hands.
THAT's what I need! A wife preferrably one that cooks. You folks that have someone to help with this stuff are lucky. I'd get my 10K steps a day in just leveling...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #87

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna d. View Post
i know... Sigh. I didn't take one picture of the inside while camping and now it looks like a bomb went off inside, oregon gathering stuff everywhere on the floor, etc. I have to go over and clean 'er up on the weekend. I'll take pictures then and post... Promise!
no pressure!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #88

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Andersen Levellers, V2.0

Please ignore this post and see below. Newbie at work, guilty as charged.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0841.jpg   IMG_0840.jpg   IMG_0839.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #89

Brent, the Andersons pictured are the Rapid Jacks, not the Levelers, and they are larger in every way except for width.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:03 AM   #90

Thanks for clarifying, Tom. I dug to the bottom of the box and found the levellers, which look exactly like yours. So it's back to Plan A. Man, have I got a lot to learn about this stuff.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 AM   #91

WOW Brent, that goody bag you have must be something. You'll be setup for whatever comes your way - tire and leveling wise. Have fun with the new 21. It's an impressive trailer that I"m sure you'll love like the rest of us.
Tom
PS: Can I assume that you only have one Rapid Jack?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #92

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
well that gives me a idea to groove my levelers
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #93

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
How much do you have to shorten the Anderson Levelers for the 21? I am thinking of making a 45 degree cut that would start a bit less than an inch from the current end of the leveler. Would that work?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #94

Leon, I cut, and adjusted my levelers to a length of 14 and 15/16 of an inch. This measurement is taken by hooking the tape measure on the bottom, at the thick end, and while keeping it against the leveler, along it's curve, at all times, cut on the small end at the measurement above. I believe the levelers are only 15.6" long in the first place, so you're not cutting that much off. The slope should be as gentle as you can make it because as the slope increases so does the tendency for the tire to push the leveler instead of riding up on it. I found that out on my first use while on pavement. After the cut, I used a rasp to flatten the slope out even more. Material comes off very easy.
Hope this helps,
Tom
Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Thanks much, Tom. This is next weeks project
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #96

Andersen's instructions for trimming levelers

In their .PDF file on trimming their levelers, Andersen cuts theirs off square. I think I like TAfraser's technique better, because he trimmed on an angle that eliminated the thick edge that could make the wheel push the leveler along, rather than ride up onto it.

I would post the .PDF here, but this site rejected it because the file is a bit too big.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #97
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
In their .PDF file on trimming their levelers, Andersen cuts theirs off square. I think I like TAfraser's technique better, because he trimmed on an angle that eliminated the thick edge that could make the wheel push the leveler along, rather than ride up onto it.

I would post the .PDF here, but this site rejected it because the file is a bit too big.
Do you have a link to the pdf?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #98

No, and I can't find it on their site. If you PM me your email address, Robert, I'll attach the .PDF to my reply.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #99

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
My wife and I used the Anderson's with our new 19. We cut 1" off the thin side, but it wasn't always enough. Our routine was if we needed to raise a side, to back onto a thin block. If that wasn't enough, then place the Anderson levelors in front of the wheels and pull forward. (The block gave us more room between wheels) Worked like a charm every time. To reverse, my wife would use the awning rod to pull everything out. Much safer than reaching between the wheels with her hands.
Kevin,
Thanks for sharing your Andeersen leveller leveling idea. I am going to try it and hope to avoid cutting 1'' off.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #100

The Deed is Done

Turns out that what it takes to trim Andersen levellers is a skilled woodworker who owns a bandsaw and has an extra 5 minutes.

My friend Andy (AKA "Sleepy" on this forum) used TAfraser's suggested length of 14 15/16", and like Tom he cut them on an angle to get the thinnest possible leading edge so the tires wouldn't "trip" over the leveller.

We sized them up against the wheels of Sleepy's new 5.0TA, and it looked like the shortened levellers could not get jammed between the tires. (We assumed that the tandem axle setup of Escape's 5er is the same as on the 21').

The test will come Friday night when we camp for the first time in our 21'. I'll be really disappointed if our site at the campground is level.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0848.jpg  

Tags
levelers